Darling River running

Submitted: Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:22
ThreadID: 68285 Views:2293 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The Darling river is currently flowing and the surrounding country is absolutely beautiful with wild flowers galore and foliage everywhere. The folk of the Outback are keenly looking forward to a bumper season this year and if anyone is planning a trip into Outback NSW. DO IT NOW.

God knows the country could do with a shot in the arm after so many years of drought. I can fully recommend the “Darling River run” as a must do THIS year. Pop into Shindys Inn in Louth and tell them Colin sent you, you will love the warmth of a good Outback pub, and the Louth Pub is one of the best.

Cheers Colin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:38

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:38
How far down has the flow reached?

South of Menindee?

Kevin J
AnswerID: 361910

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:46

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:46
Fraid not Kevin. Minindee is a big sponge at this stage not much will get past that for a while yet. But the land is mostly looking good .
Colin.
FollowupID: 629671

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:51
The Darling is the lowest I have seen it for years...almost seems down to a trickle. Crossed the bridge at Wilcannia yesterday around lunch time.

Hope some of the water gets further downstream

Cheers
FollowupID: 629675

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 21:57
As Willem says, there isn't much water in the river at Wilcannia yet.
You would have deeper water in your fish pond than there is at Wilcannia.
.38 of a metre is todays reading. What's that, about a foot?

Daily river reports for the Barwon Darling River

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 629727

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:32

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:32
When I last saw the Darling about 4 years ago it was a chain of ponds & billabongs with some dust between, so what I saw last week was much better, at least it is a flowing stream.

Anyway the point of the post being is the surrounding country has had some rain and is looking better than it did, at this moment.

The river at Louth was deep enough for the "Cobar Yabbies" (copper miners swim club) to have a swim comp. in it.

The depth of the river will not stop you having a wonderful trip.

Happy travels Willem, Cheers, Colin.
FollowupID: 629767

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:00

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:00
Thanks for that. My wife and I are doing that run starting May at this stage.

jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361937

Reply By: downtools - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:49

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:49
G,day Colin and all,
We have just had a very relaxing week camping along the Darling river from bourke to Wentworth.
Everywhere we stopped or camped near the river, it was flowing.
Lots of black Cockatoos, galas, roos emus etc.
Fantastic break from the the hassle of Sydney.
We started at Lightning ridge for their Easter festival, goat races etc then spent the next 8 days "on the river".
The country from Louth to Wentworth was VERY dry and according to the locals, the Lakes at Menindee have been dry for over 6 years.
While we were at "The Ridge", we camped at Lorne Station and with over an inch of rain on Saturday night and Sunday, we were lucky to get escape from from our black soil camp ground!
The heavy rain continued all the way to Bourke but south of Bourke there was only dust.
Would recommend "The Run" to anyone......

Cheers Nifty
AnswerID: 362013

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:38

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:38
Hi Nifty
if you travelled on the south side of the river from Louth you would have driven through the bridge diversion about 10-15 km out past the race track, if you did you would remember the 10km or more bulldust section, wow what a track!!!!
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 629798

Follow Up By: downtools - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:51

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:51
Hi Colin,
When we got to Louth we intended to take the track down the East side of the river but the road was closed 1 or 2 klm out of town. Everything looked pretty dry so the road may have been ok but we went the West bank route anyway.
Sounds like I missed an interesting track...next time...
cheers.
FollowupID: 629800

Sponsored Links