Canning Stock Route (CSR)

Any recent information on the CSR track from Wiluna to Well 5?

Planning a trip at the end of May '09.

Particularly if there are any long thick sand sections.

Party will be 2 motorcycles with a fair amount of gear on the way to Carnegie Station.

cheers

Koos

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:57

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:57
G'day Koos,

Wiluna to Well 5 there are no sand sections and it is pretty easy going. The main obstacles you will face with this section are the dry creek beds which have some decent entry and exit points if you have a trailer (which btw the station owner won't allow) so on bikes you should be ok.Well 6 and Pierre Springs is a nice place to camp, well worth climbing the hill before sunrise to see the dawn breaking on the gums below.

Broe
AnswerID: 362419

Follow Up By: KoosWA - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:18

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:18
Thanks Broe

Have you travelled it fairly recently?

We will be heading to Granite Peak from Well 5 and have approval from the station owners east of CSR and south of the Wongawol as well.

Looking forward to my first experience of the CSR.

FollowupID: 630130

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:27

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:27
Koos,

I travelled it in August last year so not too long ago. If you have approval then you should be fine, we had two vehicles with TVans that had approval and they traversed it no problems so as long as you are set up properly and your draw bars aren't too long you shouldn't have any problems. As always, comes down to the ability of the driver.

Are you doing the whole CSR?

Broe
FollowupID: 630131

Follow Up By: KoosWA - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:39

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:39
We are heading to a get together of adventure motorcycle riders at Cernegie station so we thought an interesting detour will be better than blasting up the graded gravel. From Well 5 we will head to Granite peak where my travelling partner has a project and then across Sydney heads to Carnegie. Returning to Wiluna we will head south of the Wongawol.

No vehicles or trailers with us....

FollowupID: 630133

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:48

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:48
Oh OK, if that's the case then you will have no problems. Just don't take the shortcut across the salt lake after well 3a I think it is. Would be good to visit the Well 6 camp site, not too much of a detour and well worth seeing.Geraldton 4x4 I think it is have done up the well and bush toilet.Well 5 also has good water and I think it was restored by the Chamberlain tractor club of WA. From memory they had buckets already there. It's a pity you aren't doing the whole thing as it only gets better the further north you go.

Broe
FollowupID: 630134

Follow Up By: rosgeog - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:11

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:11
Broe,
We are planning a sth-nth in August. Your info sounds good.
Ross
FollowupID: 630135

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:15

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:15
You are going to have a ball. South to North is definitely the way to go as when you start getting into the sand dunes, it is a lot easier to tackle from this direction. Apparently they have fixed the toilets at Durba Springs as well. When we were there, some d'heads had set fire to them. They are now towards the entrance to the gorge I believe. The water at Georgia Bore is also top quality if not a little warm.

Broe
FollowupID: 630136

Reply By: aimee - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 21:46

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 21:46
Hi Koos,
I was on the Canning Stock Route ten days ago (part of the "toilet restoration" crew). Although we didn't travel the lower section that you mentioned, I would suggest that you ring the local station owners-authorities, to ask them the condition of that section of the track. The reason being as I came down through Meekatharra (10 days ago) we spoke to some station owners that back on to the C.S.R. and they were saying they had had 3-4 inches of rain, which would make this section very muddy and slippery (especially for heavy bikes). I actually came through this section late last year with a convoy of vehicles and noted that there had been a lot of people that had been bogged on the clay areas, as now the stock route has been relocated and there is more river and clay pans. Hope the trip all works out well for you, it is a great ride. We will be on the stock route again this year with motor bikes to do it all again too. Good luck.
AnswerID: 362510

Follow Up By: KoosWA - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:10

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:10
Thank you aimee and others for the current information. Will be sure to check up in the next 4 weeks [leaving 28 May] on the track conditions.

Have you done it on a bike before?
FollowupID: 630311

Reply By: aimee - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:33

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:33
Hi Koos yes we run 8 bikes along the c.s.r each year ,the rider really enjoy the ride . also if you are going to need water at well 5 you need a bucket
enjoy
AnswerID: 362611

Sponsored Links