Hogwash Bend on the Murray

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:19
ThreadID: 68779 Views:6683 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found

I had the opportunity to camp there once again on Monday night.

Hogwash Bend, between Waikerie and Cadell on the Murray River is quite a popular spot and we have been staying there overnight at least once a year over the past 15 years. Out of school holkidays and weekedays it is a veru tranquil spot.

Recently the camping area has been been greatly reduced in size as the local Landholders and Lancare Group have embarked on a revegetation project. Rubbish has been removed and trees have been planted and a watering program has been initiated to save some of the magnificent River Red Gums, River Box tree and Lignum scrub from dying. The last time the floodplain received a cover of water was in 1993.

So the dog and I set up camp and had a feed. On the way past one of the towns I had dropped into the Bottle'O for a bottle of Oxblood and when attempting to extricate the contents of the bottle found that the corkscrew was missing out of the camping gear. Luckily a fellow camper about a hundred metres away had one and the day was saved.

Hogwash Bend is habitat to the Regent Parrot and the Kookaburra and there are plenty of water birds around including a gathering of Wood Ducks.

The camp area is bring your own everything, including wood and toilet. Wheeliebins are provided for rubbish though some campers continue leave unburnt cans in their fireplaces. Still, the place has a fresh feel about it and you can walk for about a kilometre along the river bank amongst the age old River Reds.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 14:27

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 14:27
Hi Willem
It is a great spot, that is for sure. How do you get time to be up the River?? I thought you would be flat out getting ready for the Big Trip.

Have a great time away, with good company. We will all be looking forward on hearing of your travels when you get home.

Take care and have a great time in the Desert.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364654

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:29

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:29
Yeah, no worries, Stephen.

I had to go and see me mate Blaze in Berri and thought that I would give the trailer and all a shakedown before the trip as we have the majority of stuff packed already. It all seems OK. On the way home I put the rig over the weighbridge at Jamestown. GQ comes in under GVM. Trailer....hmmmmm....better not put me foot in it :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 632321

Reply By: bruce - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 15:14

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 15:14
Called in to have a look there about 4 yrs ago....was a bit disappointed with it....compared to lots of other places we have stayed along the Murray and where we are camped at present it is not much at all....sorry to be so negative...but..thats life...there are many places to many to mention here that are so, so much better...cheers
AnswerID: 364667

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:31

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:31
Bruce

What were you disappointed in? AND please tell us of the BETTER places you mention.

Cheers
FollowupID: 632322

Follow Up By: bruce - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 13:52

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 13:52
At this moment we are camped at Buxtons bend , much better place...Passage camp , Wentworth below the wier , Wemen

, Cobram , Loch 9 , Abbotsford bridge....we are 2 wheel drive and could not get near the water at Hogwash bend , not

much wood about , not many level sites....it is a nice enough spot no disputing that , but not for our

needs...cheers
FollowupID: 632672

Reply By: Garbutt - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:41

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:41
During the week it's a lovely spot Willem, but on a long weekend or school holidays it is a nightmare of drunks and motorbikes.

AnswerID: 364716

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:02

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:02
The optimist sees the donut
The pessimist sees the hole
FollowupID: 632405

Follow Up By: gottabjoaken - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:01

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:01
Willem said: [quote] The optimist sees the donut
The pessimist sees the hole [/quote]

The optimist sees the tasty donut and says "shame there's a hole - it could be more donut"
The pessimist says " Look at all that indegestion - the hole is the best part of it"

lol
Ken
FollowupID: 632413

Follow Up By: gottabjoaken - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:04

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:04
sorry "indigestion"

Ken
FollowupID: 632414

Reply By: Member - Alanc - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 01:04

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 01:04
A great spot, we camped there late August last year on our trip around "the block". Except for the possum that paid us a visit in the middle of the night (dropped onto the roof of the van ) it was peaceful. Being mid week we were the only ones there but I imagine would be a popular spot come the weekend. Coming from south west WA we don't get to experience many fresh water year round flowing rivers, ours are usually salty or brackish and only flow during the winter months so it was an experience to follow a fresh water flowing river. We spent many enjoyable and interesting days following the Murray (from Blanchetown) up and along the Murrumbidgee to as far as Hay - its a very interesting part of the country , rich in history and we will get back there one day when we have more time.
Regards
Alanc
AnswerID: 364965

Sponsored Links