Any tips for My Fishing Road Trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 00:27
ThreadID: 69493 Views:3176 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, I am looking and starting a round Oz Road trip very soon.
Being a very keen fisherman i will base the trip on some site seeing/surfing and alot of fishing
I will purchase a van (4wd) and deck it out with all the necessities(as little as possible)and hit the road.
Ill be starting in Sydney,the plan is to head north stopping every where that interests me( or where they are biting ;),spend as long in the good places as i want as i have no date set to return home.

Some questions I have.....

1. what are the best months to head north?weather and fishing wise.
2. Is it safe to park and leave a van that is obviously filled with traveling gear up north?
3. Are there many safety issues in general?
4. Are there many good land based fishing spots or is it mainly good from boat?
5. Any tips on good areas to fish?
6.Im looking to start a career in the charter fishing industry,is there mush work up north?

Any help with any of these question would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:57

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 01:57
1. Winter, because the roads will not be flooded
2. I do, but then I don't have a fuse between my AGM's, so don't do as I do
3. Common sense may keep you out of trouble, but then again life is short
4. With 'land based' you may be sharing the bank with crocodiles - boat is best
5. Yellow waters in Kakadu or any of the tidal pools up there (read 4 again)
6. probably would be, but it would be seasonal

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 368338

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:32

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:32
Big Tip! Fish from the bank up north and you are croc bait! You may not see them but they can sure see you.
We found Cobourg had great beach fishing. Buy a cast net and learn how to use it before you go fishing.
Good luck.
Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368345

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:00

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:00
Consider adding a tinnie to you list of things to pack. There is a lot of good boat fishing that shore based fishing just can't access. A small tinnie with a 15HP motor will take you to a lot of places.

Image Could Not Be Found

Kind regards
AnswerID: 368348

Reply By: didiaust - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:18

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:18
We Live on the NSW mid coast and our favourite time to beach fish is April/May - remember this is also when the travelling fish are running- headding north.

Some of our successful spots in our area are Seal Rocks and Diamond Head

Have a great holiday

Di
AnswerID: 368350

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 13:56

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 13:56
[quote]6.Im looking to start a career in the charter fishing industry,is there much work up north?[/quote]

I'm in the charter industry and have worked up north a fair bit.

Yes theres seasonal work available - mostly June July August September - sometimes into October - then the wet arrives and everyone heads south pretty much.

Thing is - most of the charter industry work / jobs advertised seek some "minimum requirements", like a coxswains certificate, which takes time at sea, study and $ to attain, so it would be best to obtain those before you go probably.

So many anglers want to be charter skippers or fishing guides etc - and dream that you can just take yourself up north with a 4wd and tinny and a few rods and your in business.

These days the industry is pretty much regulated, and you need a host of quals & licenses to get started..

Lets see, roughly you need:-

1. Charter Fishing Lic from Fisheries Dept for each state - (there are 5 zones each with their own license in WA alone).
2. License from DEC (Dept Env & Conserv) to access their land and water
3. Surveyed Vessel (Transport, marine Dept).
4. Coxswains Certificate as skipper (min) or Master 5 with MED (Marine Engine Driver) 2 qualification.
5. $10,000 000 Public Liability Insurance
6. Vessel Insurance
7. F class Drivers License to transport your paying pasengers
8. TC (tourist coach) plated vehicle to transport paying passengers

Then you can apply and get a job working with the charter ops, without them being legally liable if you don't have all that.

There are still pirate operators within the industry - the NT seems to be the nesting place for those who largely don't meet national industry standards, being a commonwealth territory - there seems to be no policing of the national standards in the NT if the TV shows showing guides operating in non surveyed boats with non qualified skippers, is anything to judge bye.

It's an admirable thing to aspire too - but not as easey as grabbing your fishing rods and heading north.

Theres a few charter businesses for sale - I saw one in the last weekends West where a charter license was for sale for $95K - grossing $110K a year in pre booked trips, and the 12 meter boat was thrown in for free - so desperate was the owner to sell the business!.

Incomes a little patchy at times, and ever more "restrictions" are being placed on Charter Operators by the respective "Fisheries Departments", who want to control the fishing effort on coastal demersal species.

If your really serious, contact me and I'll sell you my business, "walk in/walk out" basis with everything including multiple charter licenses covering most of the WA coastline, a tow vehicle, and surveyed boat, and tender with outboard, and all the diving and fishing gear, for a realistic price.

I''ll probably list it with a boat broker next week - then it's first come first served.

Cheers & good luck with whatever you end up doing.
AnswerID: 368384

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 16:40

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 16:40
Flywest - Hold the business but I would like your boat :-), going cheap is it :-). Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 635961

Follow Up By: Flywest - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:52

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:52
Could be Tony! ;o)

Cheers
FollowupID: 636117

Sponsored Links