Sydney - Coober Pedy - Uluru - Marree - Return MUST SEE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:13
ThreadID: 69630 Views:6759 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip with the family over the October school holidays. Towing an on road camper with slipper springs and I am not sure about the Marree section of the trip at that time of year. Will the camper handle it?
What places of interest along this route are must see. All suggestions would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:18
Zenon how long have you got, which way are you going & what type of car & camper do you have?
Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 369004

Follow Up By: Zenon - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:31

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:31
Hi Craig,
15 days, Sydney, Broken Hill, Coober Pedy, The Rock, Return trip to Sydney is open to suggestions? I had considered going to Lake Ayre.
2002 DID Pajero, 2000 Cavalier Camper.
Thanks,
Zenon
FollowupID: 636501

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:02

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:02
2 weeks is a bit tight over that distance so would need to put in a few long days at each end to allow some looking around. Just north of Coober Pedy there is a nice area not unlike the painted desert worth a drive through. Head out on the road towards Oodnadatta then turn left following the dingo fence back to the main highway. (about a 1 hour detour)
At Uluru allow at least 1.5 days to climb the rock & do a couple of walks then 1 day at Kings Canyon. Alice Springs is just up the road but unless you like long fast days time will beat you.
Dropping back down to Marla you could take the Oodnadatta track which is possibly one of the most interesting outback roads in Oz. A good map will highlight all the historical sights & attractions along the way. It is a little rough in places particually for a road going version of the camper but with a few precautions (eg:pack light/good tyres/carry additional spares) & driven slowly should be OK.
Lake Eyre will probably be fairly dry by October so not worth the side trip. (Can see Lake Eyre South from the road)
Again depending on time you then have a couple of options of either heading up the Strzelecki to Camerons Cnr, Tibooburra & home or cutting through the Flinders Ranges & back to Broken Hill. (worth a day as well)
"Will the Camper handle it?" (Slipper springs, no stone gaurd/light frame/questionalble tyres?). It's really not built for dirt roads but many people tow vans with cars along there so it is more than possible to do.
Cheers Craig.............
PS: October will be getting a little warm too.
FollowupID: 636526

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:32

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:32
Could you please advise on good maps to buy for the area's mentioned including electronic maps.
That way I can take on all suggestions and map a route to match the time we have.
I was thinking of taking spare springs/bearings/eye bolts/ U bolts/wheel and extra tyre.
The heat we don't mind as we used to live in country NSW before, under 40C is fine.
The roads sound like our old local roads, stuffed after rain and great after the grader came through. I assume that most of these outback roads are of that type, they do get graded occasionally?
Thanks,
Zenon
FollowupID: 636539

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:16
I find the Westprint maps are a good basic touring map with most of the camp locations, historical sites & attractions marked along with notes on all the early explorers & emergeny contacts etc. The Hema map is another good one for overall planning.
You'll probably find the Oodnadatta track is quite a bit rougher (rocky) than your local roads.
Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 636669

Follow Up By: traveloz005 - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 01:31

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 01:31
I towed a standard road Coromal pop top van behind a Troopie .. no road problems ... I did fit a stone guard (home made) to the front of the van .. and carried (but did not need) extra spare tyres / rims for van and vehicle .. I did lower tyre pressures as recommended by Pink Roadhouse
FollowupID: 637279

Reply By: garytee - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:33

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:33
If staying at Coober Pedy - strongly recommend staying at Riba's. A few k's out of town on the Adelaide side. Unique and not to be missed. If you have a van - ask for the powered-site [only 2].
AnswerID: 369008

Follow Up By: Zenon - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:44

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:44
I have found the web linkhttp://www.camp-underground.com.au
Thank you for that, that will be interesting.
Zenon
FollowupID: 636504

Reply By: Levenx (Sth Coast NSW) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:09

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:09
Hi Zenon

We just did a similar trip last holidays. Our setup was the cruiser, camp trailer and touring tent. We had 25 days to get to the rock and Alice and back and this was pretty tight but we did get to see quite a bit. We didn't have any problems with the trailer, the dirt roads out there are better than some tar i know. Broken Hill was good, could easily spend a week there, the bond store was excellent. The Flinders Ranges are definately worth a look and we camped at Brachina Gorge. We stopped at Farina (ruins), I think after Lyndhurst and the whole family loved that. (3 girls 13, 11, 1).Coward Springs and the Mound springs are good to see and so is William Creek Pub. We were not fond of Coober Pedy and stayed about 10 klms east of town (William Creek Rd) on a creek bed, was quite a popular bush camp spot. Stopped at Cadney park for a good meal and showers. Uluru was great. On the way back we took a slight detour to Woomera, what a suprise, heaps of history and very interesting and friendly people. Stayed at Orroroo Caravan Park on the way there and back and this is a very friendly little camp ground, interesting area. We worked our way back to NSW SC via Ballarat, Echuca, Albury and home.

Hope you enjoy your trip, we can't wait to do it all again.

Lexie
AnswerID: 369019

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:02
Hi Lexie,

Broken Hill is a great place, I stopped there once before for a day and left 5 days later. This time I will drive straight through after my fuel stop.
I will plot your suggestions as well, it seems that we will easily fill 2 months if we had the time. I am considering roughing it on this trip with my family, my boys are 13 and 15. This way we should see more by stopping and sleeping over at more places of interest.

Thank you for your input,
Zenon
FollowupID: 636541

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G NSW - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:26

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:26
Try to fit Woomera in while you're in that neck of the woods. Great park there and plenty to see especially the rocket museum. Certainly suprised us what the town had to offer.Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 636544

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:25

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:25
Hey Zenon, we have just done a similar trip last month. Our van has slipper springs and was no problem - see pic in my profile. A mate's Magna towed an on- road Complete Campsite trailer and also no probs.
When leaving Hawker in Flinders go towards Wilpena then take the Moralana Scenic route back to the tar B47 road which takes you up to Leigh Ck.
Stay in Maree at the van park on the right about 2km before the town You will be able to camp on grass!!! But no hot water for showers, but it's only $6/ head. Slow to 80kmh on Ooodnadatta Track and lower tyres to 26 - 30psi.
Coward Springs has the hot tub and is close to the Wabma Kardabu Mound springs.
We stayed at Ribas but not underground - the noise carries. Went to Breakaways at sunset along with a million flies but the cold of winter should knock them out. Will they be back by Oct???
Mt Ebeneezer has free camping with showers/loos then leaves an easy 200km to the rock.
Walked the Valley of the Winds at the Olgas when it was 35 degrees but they have two water tanks along the way
Enjoy, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369022

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:17

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:17
Hi Glenn,

That is a relief to read that the camper had no problems. The tyre pressure comment was a reminder that I need to buy a new pump. I am going to fit light truck tyres to the trailer, they can deal with the rough roads a little better.
I have lots of places of interest to research and will add yours to my list. I did forget about the FLIES, those wonderful FLIES! They always add protein to the sandwiches.

Thanks,
Zenon
FollowupID: 636542

Reply By: Member - Troopy's Crew - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:16

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:16
Zenon,
Another option, given that you dont have a lot of time is to go on to Alice Springs and explore to MacDonnell Ranges, east and west. There are lots of fascinating and beautiful places to see.
If you do want to do some of the Oodnadatta track on your return journey suggest you go from the Stuart Hway via Cadney Park rather than turning off at Marla. That way you will see some of the Painted Desert which is a fascinating place.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369034

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:35

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:35
Hi Val,

I'm going to print information on all points of interest and organise them in order of preference related to members comments and see how many we can visit in the alloted time.
The Painted Desert sounds interesting, it is beautiful around Broken Hill and expect this may be similar.

Thanks for your comments,
Zenon
FollowupID: 636545

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:54

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:54
Hi
Lots of great suggestions above. If you haven't been to Coober Pedy before, you will not know what has struck you. Do not just rush through like most people do. Have a good look around, have a mine tour. About 17 kilometres north, a must see visit should be the Breakaways. Do the complete circuit along the dog fence and back to Coober Pedy via Moon Plain. Have you thought about doing the Mulga Park Road?

Cheers

Stephen[/fi]Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 369060

Follow Up By: wicket - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:24
Yes, The Breakaways is definitely a 'must see'.
FollowupID: 636564

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:21

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:21
Breath taking views definitely worth adding to our trip. When we last visited the Outback sculptures, it was a timeless visit that helps bring things into perspective. I do believe this will be similar.

Zenon
FollowupID: 636689

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:57
Hi I did a similar trip in July 05 Towed an off road camper but in think a road camper would be ok as you could drive all this in a car in good weather.
As the others have said correct tyre pressure. protect the back of you vehicle from stones bouncing back of the camper. extra long mud flaps will help.
Don't for get the aero guard.
Hema maps cover all this very good.
15 days you can't see every thing but if you,Go the quickest route from Sydney To Ayers rock on the bitumen.
and then take your time coming back.
With some early starts. and few long days. combined with motel or cabins to save set up times on the long hauls it is do able.

Day 1 From Sydney to Cobar

Day 2 Cobar to pt Augusta very long day

Day 3 PT to Coober peedy only half a day and time for a look.

Day 4 Ayers rock. 2 nights walk the rock

DAY 6Kings canyon short day

Day 7 Meerinee loop to Palm valley short day

DAY 8 Alice springs 2 nights, enough time to see the sights.

Day 10 Down the bitumen to rainbow valley
then onto the Hugh river stock route to Chambers pillar.

Day 11 continue down the the old Ghan to Fink via the Lambert centre geographical centre of Australia back out to Marla.

Day 12 From Marla down the Oodnadatta track to Coward springs.

Day 13Flinders ranges Wilpena pound

Day 14 Cobar

DAY 15 Sydney.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 369157

Follow Up By: Zenon - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:49

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:49
When you mentioned to "protect the back of you vehicle from stones bouncing back of the camper". Is that the main purpose of the deflector on the front of campers?
We also normally do some very long hauls and sleep in a cabin that night.
Thank you for including your trip details as it helps with my trip planning.

Zenon
FollowupID: 636693

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:32

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:32
Hi
If you are going to travel on gravel roads a stone deflector for your camper
to protect is a good idea they also tend to rebound stones back into the tow vehicle and break the back window tail lights and pepper the paint work like a shot gun not good. I have lost count the number of 4wds with broken rear windows i have seen.
Search the forum on this site and you will get some ideas what to do.

1 is to extend the mud flaps

2 a rear flap across the back.

3 cover the rear window with a beer box or polycarb clear sheet (available on the net) Rear sceen protector.

4 I covered the rear tail gate with race tape

5 A shade cloth arrangement from the tow vehicle to the camper this to me is the best idea.

I found all this out the hard way i was lucky enough not to break the rear window
but the tail gate has lots of small dents and paint chips smashed tail light and a hole through the spare tyre cover.
Made worse by having a 50mm lift and standard mud flaps
the stones destroyed the stones deflector on the camper.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 369343

Follow Up By: Zenon - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:28

Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 at 19:28
Hi Rob,

I will be some how fitting a shade cloth arrangement to the camper. Other changes will be to fit;
* 1200kg 45mm Eye to Eye springs
* 6 stud hubs
* Extend draw bar by 300mm
* Removable 50mm hitch
* 1/4" plate between new spring hangers and current chassis
* 6 stud 14" rims and LT tyres

I am also looking to extend the mud flaps on my car with some thin rubber sheet.

This should keep me out of trouble.

Zenon
FollowupID: 637355

Sponsored Links