Dog-Friendly Camping Within 3 Hours of Sydney?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 20:34
ThreadID: 69927 Views:47546 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When it comes to dog-friendly camping I know of all the places in the book "Bush Camping with Dogs" and about State Forests.

Just wondering if any EO's happen to know some 'unknown' places within a few hours of Sydney that allows dogs and has camping and bushwalks nearby?

The South Coast seems particularly sparse...only place I can see (and been to) is Yalwal near Nowra.

If you want to keep them private please email at tabten67@bigpond.net.au

I can keep a secret :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 21:02
Try Riverwood Downs near barrington tops (well on the way there anyway)

We have taken our doggie there many times. they can swim in the river etc with no issues

From www.riverwooddowns.com.au

Riverwood Downs - bringing a whole new meaning to "Pet Friendly" holidays!

We truly understand the relationship that you have with your pets. On or off lead you have 750 acres to play, swim and frolic through, with an abundance of manicured lawns to play and explore or just lie in the sun and do nothing. Your pets are allowed to share the cabin with you.

Dining Out With Your Pet

Our a la carte Restaurant (see the Fine Dining "button") has Garden View verandah tables for guests with pets. Whilst on holidays, you can enjoy fine dining and bring your special friend to dinner with you. We even have our Hound’s Breath Café menu that is served at the Café throughout the day and Rosewood Restaurant at night, with choices from Pup a Chino’s to our specialty a "Tasty Trio of Treats". We cater for their every needs!
We have a large number of unpowered riverside camping sites which are situated on beautifully manicured lawns, along our river flats on the head waters of the Karuah River. Limited number of powered sites are available. There are hot showers in the amenities block and a coin-operated laundry facility. Camp fires are allowed on unpowered sites. The kiosk sells ice creams, takeaway food, devonshire teas, cold drinks, bread, milk, gas and ice. We also carry a small selection of personal and basic provisions. No fresh fruit, vegetables or meats are available

Current Rates

$11 per Adult per night
$7.50 per Child* per night
*Children under 2 years stay for free
Pets Welcome $3 per Pet per day.

I have posted this site before and can assure you i have NO affiliation to the business. I have just enjoyed their hospitality..Someone did whinge it was 'too expensive' for them but horses for courses. I would prefer to pay to camp somewhere where my pet was welcomed as opposed to slinking around in a national park for 'free' hiding from the Rangers and exchanging gunfire with the dogless law abiding neighbours just to save a few bucks.

Regards

Craig
AnswerID: 370581

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:15

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:15
Hello

I would 2nd Riverwood Downs, a great place for both you and the dog. For some great bushwalking & 4wding when leaving Riverwood Downs turn left and then right at the next intersection and follow the dirt road to the closed gates (about 5kms). Ask the old lady who lives at the property for permission to enter and then there are many kilometres of bushwalking and some very tough tracks on the old road.
By the way, the old Lady loves fruit and chocolate. Take her some as a token of appreciation. When you meet her you will see what I mean.

Mystery Bay just south of Narooma is a fantastic camp site right on the ocean where you can take your dogs. Just be careful it has National Parks on both sides. Keep you dog on the beach below the mean high tide mark and you should be OK as this is where NP's start although non dog friendly Rangers do not like to be reminded of this. Just be responsible and you should have no problems.

Regards
John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 370634

Reply By: garryn1292 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:26

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:26
Lanis caravan park at Forster NSW check it out it is a great place right on the coast with a river & lake system, have a look on google earth. 300 ks from Sydney Cheers Garry.
AnswerID: 370638

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:25

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:25
Turon Gates

Truly dog friendly, no leash is required for sociable dogs and a great spot for them to run and explore in a safe & friendly environment with their family, all that a dog could want. All on the mighty Turon river.

Colin
AnswerID: 370644

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:30

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:30
Took out hound camping up Hillend (via the Bridle Track) way over the long weekend...Even the Nat Parks lady gave her a pat !!

AnswerID: 370645

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 14:16
Gday gh1967,

Try Wollondilly River Station. Its pet friendly. Nice spot too. Only about a two hour drive on the road to Wombeyan Caves.

www.wollondillyriverstation.com

HOWEVER, read the thread below from a few days ago. It will save you some potential discomfort from the caretaker there.

ThreadID: 69888

Cheers. The Dr.
AnswerID: 370684

Sponsored Links