Wet season, where can i go!

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:51
ThreadID: 7010 Views:1569 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am only able to go away during november through to feb, I want to do a big trip somewhere but dont know how far north or west i can go. Can someone tell me where a good place would be to go. I will be driving a old landcruiser with all the gear in it.

I wanted to do some work on a cattle station but as i found out there isnt much up north due to the wet! I am a uni studnet looking for a bit of an adventure, with some serious 4wding aswell. Would some advise on where i should go.
Thanks, Aaron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:59

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 16:59
Where are you starting from?

Thought of Tasmania? LOTS to see there and heaps of 4wding. Perfect for 4 weeks at least.
AnswerID: 30010

Follow Up By: Aaron - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:08

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 17:08
I Live in Melbourne, i have just had 3 weeks in tassie, great place but i realy wanted to go to WA area. Am I asking to much do you think?
Thanks
Aaron
FollowupID: 21096

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:17

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:17
If you want to head west, then what do you want to see??

Put my name down tonight for a 2-3 week trip next June to Coober Pedy, Ayres Rock, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, Palm Valley, Chambers Pillars, Finke, Lake Eyre and home, so theres something you could do!
AnswerID: 30056

Follow Up By: Aaron - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:54

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 23:54
i have seen alot of them as a kid, really just want to do a off road trip in WA and SA, and want to know wether its realistic to be able to do in from nov to feb, the only time of the year that i can go away.
FollowupID: 21128

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 00:35

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 00:35
yes you can..
FollowupID: 21130

Reply By: mrdesmo - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 07:52

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 07:52
Hi Aaron,
When you say WA or SA that covers a lot of area....!! You're travelling smack in the middle of summer, so personally I'd stay south...why not try heading up through the Grampians on the way to say The Flinders Ranges then head across the Nullabor to the bottom end of WA. Plenty to see and do in 3 months if you are intent on a big trip, and save the top end for a shorter trip ( I'm assuming you are travelling in your uni holidays) when it cools down a bit.
However if the heat and humidity don't bother you, and you don't mind water crossings, the top end of NT is pretty spectacular during the wet, you just have to leave a lot to lady luck on road closures etc. You could probably still get to Kakadu as its all tar and bridges these days and take plenty of joy flights to see what you miss out on the ground. I did it in a Febuary in about '96 and fair dinkum, it was awesome...but not really an offroad adventure..
Stick to the south, and follow all the dirt roads you can find instead of highways, and you'll see a lot of pretty amazing stuff..
Enjoy
AnswerID: 30066

Sponsored Links