Coober Pedy to Alice via Chambers

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:11
ThreadID: 7037 Views:2457 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just a quick question. What would be the quickest way to get from Coober Pedy to ALice Springs via Chambers Pillar and how long would it take (roughly)?

I need a fairly quick reply
Thanks
Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:33

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:33
I would say up the Stuart Hwy to Kulgera, turn off to Finke (visit Lambert's Centre of Australia), north along the Old Ghan line. Or up the Stuart and turn onto the Hugh River Stock Route, then head south along the Old Ghan Route. Not sure if you can access this track though.

How many days have you got? I believe the Old Ghan Route is fairly rough, with slow going.

Just Do It!

AnswerID: 30112

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:27

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:27
Did this exact route in April. Its a good quick way to Chambers pillar & catch a few extra sights on the way. The Old Ghan track is not as bad a most people say.Just take it easy & watch out for the rail spikes. Its well worth a look.You should make it from Kulgera through Fiinke & in to Chambers in one day (thats sitting back,camp set up & a beer in hand .In time for sunset)

have a safe trip
PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
FollowupID: 21187

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:57

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:57
Hey Paul,

Thanks for that it is exactly the sort of thing I wanted.

Just one detail missing, what time did you leave Kulgera?

Thanks again
Duncs
FollowupID: 21230

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 17:58

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 17:58
Sorry Duncs, When we are travelling day to day we are usually on the road by 9.00am. Not a real hard days travelling

PMK
off to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
FollowupID: 21261

Follow Up By: Member - Paul H - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:15

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:15
p.s. Have a look at members rigs at my photos. Pic number 2 is on the Old Ghan Track. Just to give you an idea of the surface.
you'll find pics under - Victoria PaulH.
see yaoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
FollowupID: 21262

Reply By: JohnH - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:36

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:36
Duncs, you are probably better off heading straight into Alice and then doing a day trip out to Chambers. If you are really adventurous? you could go in via finke and follow the track up along the old railway line. Me personally I would go to Alice then back. There is a road that goes in through Idracowra station north of Kulgera. They do tours, you might want to ring tham and ask if you can tag along one day or get permission to drive through. I don't like your chances though. I cannot comment further but have lived in the region for quite some time. If you like a bit of a challenge, go in through Finke, the only real problem is the deep sand through the creeks, if you have no trailer you should be right. Just my opinion. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
John.
AnswerID: 30114

Follow Up By: Tony - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:15

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:15
If you take the Idracowra T/O then T/L before the railway crossing and follow this track through the Fink Riv. and after about 15k T/R along a fence line, through a gate and you will meet up with the track that comes in from Maryvale.
FollowupID: 21218

Follow Up By: duncs - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:40

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:40
Tony,

Thanks for that again a couple of questions. Is it easy to follow? I have no GPS. Are the tracks you talk about shown on a map and if so which map.

With the maps I have at the moment part of the route you talk about is shown, is there a proper crossing of the rail track and what is the crossing of the Finke like?

Any idea of time required once you leave the highway?

Finally do you need permission from the property holders?

Thanks for the suggestion
Duncs
FollowupID: 21297

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:21

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:21
The track is easy to follow as it goes alongside the rail line and you are outside the property boundry.

The fink crossing is long and sandy and crosses right beside the rail bridge, I guess its a matter of getting out to have a look and if need be lower tyres a bit, which will also make it easier to get to the Pillar.

The rail crossing is as you turn East to follow the fence line to meet up with the Maryvalle track. Time wise around 2 hours but just drive to suit the conditions it may be more or less.

The last time I used this track permissison was not required as not to many new about it and those that did treated the knowledge with respect.
FollowupID: 21445

Follow Up By: duncs - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:13

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:13
Thanks again Tony

Duncs
FollowupID: 21547

Follow Up By: Gunter - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:26

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 03:26
Tony,

Your suggested route to Chambers via the Idracowra T/O sounds great. I had spotted this track on the Raster 250K maps, but was not sure if this track was passible.

My Westprint map "Alice Springs to Uluru" shows that the rail line in question runs straight through the centre of Idracowra station. Thus, I would have expected that you need permission from the station owners.

I'm towing a Coromal camper trailer with a GU Patrol. Would you consider the Finke river passible with a trailer? When was the last time that you used this track?

I will be heading to Chambers in 3.5 weeks. We are off to Red Centre from Perth Sat. Looking forward to the trip!

Cheers,
Gunter.
FollowupID: 21682

Follow Up By: duncs - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:01

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:01
Hey Gunter

I have a GU with a TrakShak camper be at Chambers 21st or 22nd Sep.

I am thinking about using this track but wiil make enquiries along the way.

If you are in the area at the same time maybe we could keep each other company alog this part of the trip

Not long to go now
Duncs
FollowupID: 21864

Follow Up By: Gunter - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 13:42

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 13:42
Hi Duncs,

Unfortunate I will still be in the Kings Canyon & West MacDonnell Ranges on those dates.
I'm will be staying in Alice from 24th to 26th Sept at the MacDonnell Ranges Heritage (Caravan) Park. If you happen to be in the area, look out for me. My rego is 1AKF 708 (WA). I drive a white GU Patrol ST 4500.

I'm not planning to go down to Chambers until the 3rd Oct. I would love to hear from you beforehand if you do decide to use this track. You can contact me on gmuller2@bigpond.net.au.
I have not decided yet if I should "assume" that no permission is required as suggested by Tony above, or contact Idracowra.

I just rang Idracowra a minute ago and made enquiries. A guy there said that the track along the rail line is Railway property and hence off limits. Apart from that he did not think it would be possible to cross the Finke river towing a camper. So I asked him about costs to go past the homestead and up the fence line (station boundary) to Chambers. He that it would be $95 per vehicle, but was not 100% sure (not the station owner I think). I should ring back tonight. I will update this post with further news.

Cheers,
Gunter.
FollowupID: 21874

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:08

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:08
By Plane
AnswerID: 30133

Reply By: roo - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 21:03

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 21:03
Duncs,
if you go up the Stuart Hwy make sure you turn off and stay the night at rainbow valley. The sunset if just the best. I came back to S.A. via Alice,Rainbow Valley, Stuarts Well,turn off here onto Huges River Stock Route, turned South at the Old Ghan Railway. Travel on the raised bed of the old rail track where you can it is alot easier going, into Maryvale and onto Chambers Pillar, well worthit but he track is very rough till the sand hills, where it is much easier going. Then back track to the old railway, and onto Finke and go out to the Lambert centre. We negflected to and regret it. Cars on trip Jackaroo with camper, Prado and 2002 Outback towing a camper, and we all made it look easy.
You will be best to turn off at Kulgera and do the reverse of what we did. Just keep an eye out for oncoming trafic, there is not alot but its comes at you when you least expect it. Bestr use a sand flag if you can.
Cheers
Roo.
AnswerID: 30144

Reply By: roo - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 21:09

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 21:09
Duncs,
if you go up the Stuart Hwy make sure you turn off and stay the night at rainbow valley. The sunset if just the best. I came back to S.A. via Alice,Rainbow Valley, Stuarts Well,turn off here onto Huges River Stock Route, South at the Old Ghan Railway. Travel on the raised bed of the old rail track where you can, it is alot easier going, into Maryvale and onto Chambers Pillar, well worth it but the track is very rough till the sand hills, where it is much easier going. Then back track to the old railway, and onto Finke and go out to the Lambert centre. We neglected to and regret it. Cars on trip Jackaroo with camper, Prado and 2002 Outback towing a camper, and we all made it look easy.Fuel at Maryvale was$1.30 for ULP in June.
You will be best to turn off at Kulgera and do the reverse of what we did. Just keep an eye out for oncoming trafic, there is not alot but its comes at you when you least expect it. Best use a sand flag if you can.
Cheers
Roo.
AnswerID: 30145

Reply By: Jol from Direct Four WD Awareness - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:09

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 22:09
Coober Pedy, to Oodnadatta via pinted desert, Oodnadatta, via eringa, or dalhousie, newcrown finke chmbers pillar up the finke race track to alice, or mt dare old andado to alice via the desert
take 2 days, 3 be better

jol
AnswerID: 30153

Sponsored Links