July Simpson Crossing

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:00
ThreadID: 70391 Views:2214 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am getting ready to do the Simpson crossing in 2 weeks, crossing from Birdsville to Oodnadatta, At this stage we are looking at mainly staying on the French Line, with a diversion to the Lone Gum.

Can any one give me an update on Track conditions, weather ect,

We are also looking at taking walkers crossing from Innamincka to Birdsville,
(I have already done the Bore Track twice)

We will be in a standard D4D Duel Cab Hilux with 100L Fuel in the tub, and a petrol 80 series with Long Range Tanks;

Thanks
Dennis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:37

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:37
The "official" recommendation of fuel to cross the Simpson from Birdsville is to carry 180 litres . Our 1HZ Troopy actually used about 140 litres of diesel including the Eyre Creek detour going from Birdsville to Mt Dare.

The Bore Track is not a route from Innamincka to Birdsville. It connects Bollards Lagoon near Cameron Corner to Innamincka. The options for Innamincka to Birdsville is Cordillo Downs or Walkers Crossing tracks.

Its a great trek. Love that desert. Camp anywhere just off the track. The dunes are a bit soft on the Eastern faces near the tops. Between the dunes is a bit Bucking-Bronco a lot of the time with a maximum comfortable speed of 20kph.

There are a lot of motorbikes now on that track and THEY DON'T have sand flags so be very sure to use a tall sand flag or you may gain a new bonnet ornament!

The weather? You will need to check a day or two before you leave but it should be fine and lovely at this time.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373103

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:21

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 17:21
Your best source of information is the rangers at Birdsville and Dalhousie Springs along with the police for the most up to date information.

Apart from that the Desert Parks Guide found at http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/pdfs/PARKS_PDFS_DES_PARKS_BULLETIN.PDF

provides all Simpson Desert travellers with the necessary information to travel along with track closure and road condition links

It could rain out there next week so it's impossible to provide anything but a guide two weeks out. Given the school holidays are on and Lake Eyre has water in it the whole area is something of a zoo at the moment.

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 373199

Reply By: FreddyZ - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:58

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:58
Hi bardenboy,

when exactly are you going? And from/to where?

We are going from 10.-26.07.09 (details below), driving in a Toyota Landcruiser 80 series with currently 3 ppl.
Maybe we could meet up somewhere? Shoot me a PM for phone number etc if it matches your plans.

For everybody else:
Due to one friend dropping out unexpectedly, we have 1-2 spots left in our 4WD for you to come along!
You can trust on the offroad experience of James and his great truck, and we are getting all the gear like extra spare tyres, satellite emergency phone, etc. If you have camping equipment - great! Otherwise we can probably organize tent and sleeping bag etc for you. Contact me ASAP!

Looking forward to hear from you soon! - Freddy :-)

Depart: 10 July eve Sydney
11 July Broken Hill, Cameron Corner
14 July Innamincka (via Strzelecki track)
16 July Birdsville (via Strzelecki track), Poeppel Corner (4WD), Dalhousie Springs (4WD – via Frenchline/Simpson Desert), Birdsville track (via Rig Road/Simpson Desert)
22 July Marree (via Birdsville Track), (possible side trip to Lake Eyre North)
24 July Broken Hill
Return: 26 July Sydney
AnswerID: 373325

Sponsored Links