Just for the EO fishermen (and women)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:07
ThreadID: 70489 Views:3924 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I know there are a lot of members and visitors on EO who like their fishing. We are currently at King Ash Bay (Macarthur River, NT) and I thought I'd share a couple of pics from a recent day of fishing. Six barra in the boat in the day. The pics are of my best (1.02 m) and Kathryn's best (74 cm). We released 4 of the 6 (including the big one).

In general, the fishing has been average, but after a few warmer nights, the barra came back on the bite in the shallow creeks for a few days. Not a lot of people managed to find them, but those that did had a lot of fun. A few days earlier, we got 4, all in the 70cm to 80 cm range.

It has cooled of a bit again (31 C days and 14 C nights), so the barra will be a bit quieter for a while. Will just have to be content with Jacks, Fingermark (Golden Snapper), crabs and the like for a while.

King Ash Bay is a good spot to prop for a while to see out the winter if travelling long term. We are staying a bit longer this year. Got here in late April and will probably stay till August - perhaps even September, then it is back on the road and heading South once the weather warms.

Norm C

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:12
Hi Norm,

Congratulations on a wild caught meter barra! Certainly something to be proud of. I hope all is going well and the car/van combo is working well.

I suspect that they are almost close to regarding you as a local up there by now.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 373589

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:36

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:36
Almost locals Theo. We run a few social nights at the Club and have been eating vegies and salads from our riverside garden for a few weeks now. Good place to 'put some roots down' every now and then while travelling.
FollowupID: 640729

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:27
Norm, go away, I'm at work! You're making me feel bad.

Seriously, that top one's a great looking fish. if the fishing's been a bit average I'd like to see what you catch on a good day. lol

Louie
AnswerID: 373593

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:29

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:29
Very nice fish there Norm & Kabby
You would happen to know a fella by the name of Eric (wife is Peg)? He's a King Ash Bay "local" too and mad keen on fishing. Spends half the year up there. Always telling me about how good the place is.
If you do know them say g'day from the bean counter in Brisbane.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 373594

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:30

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 13:30
Norma, we are almost jealous except that the Diamantina Barra are biting well in Birdsville - unfortunately, no the same size but still good eating.Well done!
Ruth and Ian.
AnswerID: 373595

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:03

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:03
Hi Norm

You lucky bugga's, here I am sitting here in the cold and wet in Sydney.
Wish I was there with you.
We will be up there for about 8 weeks this time next year.

Good luck and happy fishing, keep sending the pictures through to give us the motivation and dribble at the taste of excitement and what you are eating tonight.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 373601

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:40

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 14:40
Hi

WOW good on you two!!!! Matt spent 2.5hrs on Sunday at Cahill's Crossing - East Alligator river NT trying to catch a Barra!!! there where 3 huge crocs and Barra jumping all over the place - we had fried rice for dinner :-(

Check out a few of our pics on the blog http://www.travelingoz.webs.com

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 373609

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:34

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 15:34
Some great pics on your web site. Looks like you are all having a ball. The kids are a great age for the adventure.

We were at Cahill's 4 years ago. With about a foot of water flowing across, there was a bloke standing on the crossing fishing. Not for me thanks. I'll stick to the boat.

Keep trying for the barra. I got a 95 cm one off the bank in the Macarthur River last year. Doesn't happen often, but without a line in the water, it never will.

Enjoy your travels.

Norm C
FollowupID: 640728

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:09

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:09
Good stuff Norm. You sound as happy as a pig in poop.

Are you getting the barra on lures or resorting to live bait ?

Happy with the new van ?

Willie
FollowupID: 640764

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:47

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:47
Hi Willie,
Over 90% of our barra are caught flicking lures into the snags. Have only ever caught two on bait, both this year. We generally only target barra with lures, but toss a bait over when we stop for a cuppa or lunch. We use bait a bit more (butterflied Mullet or Herring) when targeting Jacks. Have been a lot more successful that way for Jacks this year.

The big 1.02 Barra was on bait, a live mullet about 10 inches long. I had the rod in a holder and had just poured a cup of coffee. It did the common trick of picking the bait up and dropping it a couple of times (probably scaling it as they sometimes do). I put the coffee down and picked up the rod. When it finally took the bait, naturally I jumped and the coffee went everywhere.

Most of the flicking is with lures around 70mm or so. Have caught a few on some of the little Mann's lures you gave me.

The van is terrific - very comfortable.
FollowupID: 640865

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 18:51
Well done guys..... was thinking of you two just the other day! They're certainly good lookin' fish there mate!

Keep up the good work, Gayleen says Hi!!

Cheers

Brian & Gayleen
AnswerID: 373651

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:52

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:52
G'day Brian. Life's good. We'll be back on Gold Coast in October for daughter (Tracey's) wedding. We'll try to catch up.

Kathryn says give here love to Gayleen and Nicholas.

Norm C
FollowupID: 640866

Sponsored Links