any advice on camp sites within 5 hours north of perth

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:10
ThreadID: 70541 Views:7379 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there

Can anyone recommend a caravan park or homestead within 5 hours north of Perth for the September/October school holidays (Busy period yes, wife a teacher)

A place suitable for 2 adults and 2 young kids who want to use the caravan near the coast to et away from the cold south coast without the noise and bustle but with like minded people who want to relax.

Was looking at Dongara etc

Any advice would be appreciated from persons that have actually been there/done that.

Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zacc - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 21:25
yeh i live in dongara , good place, fishing is good when you know the right places.pretty laid back i use to live in perth and when i moved up here it was like stepping back in time 10 years . geraldton is only 65klm away. there is a caravan park called the big 4 which is right on the beach .
AnswerID: 373849

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:12

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:12
What about Coronation Beach, just north of Geraldton? see Site Link
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373859

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:14

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:14
There's also a lot of waypoints in the Perth - Coral Bay trek note showing good camp sites and rest areas. see Site Link
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 641026

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:17

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:17
While Coronation Beach is a great place you might want to have an alternative location as it gets very busy there and there are limited number of spots. Last weekend there was only a couple of places left and that is in the middle of winter! We stood up on the lookout and debated whether we would have even been able to work our 17ft 6" van into one. I rather thought that they looked like campervan only size!! I am pretty good at squeezing our van in places :-)

If north is your choice then there is Ellendale Pool - $5.00 per night I think. Terrible when you live in the area you dont really pay attention to how much. Its a very pretty spot at the base of a cliff on the Greenough River - great for swimming. If you are thinking beach you could try Lucky Bay, free camping just out of Northampton. You will always find a spot there - fantastic place, better if you have a 4wd but you can definately get a car and van into a large open area just before the shacks.

Another spot that springs to mind is just south of Dongara on the "new" coast road on the way down to Leeman. Along the coast there are quite a few camping designated spots - sorry cant remember their names straight off but could look it up. They do tend to fill fast though and they are more fishing than anything else.

A few ideas perhaps.

Sue
Strathalbyn Geraldton WA
FollowupID: 641105

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:58

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:58
Our decision on where to camp along the WA coast for that time of the year considers 3 factors - heat, wind and flies.

The further north - Kalbarri - the warmer and windier (higher frequency of sea breeze)
Further south - Jurien - cooler and less sea breezes.

In our eyes - wind (sea breeze) gives some afternoon relief from the flies.

Most locations along the WA coast have plenty for the kids to do.

AnswerID: 373932

Reply By: Vicbitter - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 20:12

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 20:12
Go to Leeman, nice shady big caravan park & a great little coastal town !!, 3 hours north of perth, best fresh fish & chip shop there too,

cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 373988

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:27

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 08:27
Second the "fish n chip" shop statement

Is a nice easy drive from Perth, maybe just the start of a trip a bit firther away

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 641221

Reply By: Vicbitter - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 20:21

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 20:21
oops,
should have mentioned that the caravan park is less than 100 metres from the beach with no roads to cross !!!
AnswerID: 373991

Sponsored Links