Kakadu,what time to go

A friend of ours are wanting to go and do the Kakadu tourist thing and see all main spot.,They plan on flying to Darwin then hiring a 4wd and driving out to Jabiru and staying in a cabin ,and then just doing their own thing.They are in early stages of planing,and wanting to be up there on the 1st of June,now would this be too early as there would still be alot of water around and they might not get to places they would like to go and may be disappointed. Would one week be enough to look around and spend the other week at Litchfield N/P.cheers GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:41
We were there in early June and it was brilliant Not to hot and muggy.

Go to the bakery in Jabiru Unbelievably good food.

Stop at Window on the Wetland wonderful place

We stayed at Lakeview van park around behind the Mobil station

$30 a night for Ensuite site They only have 14 sites all ensuite.

Lovely clean tidy friendly park

AnswerID: 399430

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:04
From locals tell me the best time is as soon as it is dry enough to get about. End of May early June is good but depending on when the rains finish. Have done a month in August but am told we need to do a wet season to see a totally different Kakadu.
There are people with more direct knowledge than me on this site so I will see what they say.

Neil
AnswerID: 399435

Reply By: burnsy - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:05

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:05
We flew up there at the end of January a few years ago & went to Jabiru to stay.
While It was hot & wet we got to experience the wet in Kakadu.

Absolutely fabulous in my opinion as there was no backpackers & very few tourists. You could fire a rifle up Mitchell street (Darwin) at 5pm & not get anyone.
While areas were restricted due to the wet I think that this time of year you appreciate the park more as other times I have been there in the dry I have found that it is very dry & dusty. Also rates for accommodation are a lot lower.

I also strongly recommend you hire a chopper for an aerial view, It will cost you but believe me it is worth it. Imagine drifting over JimJim falls in full flood.

Regards Mike
AnswerID: 399436

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 21:40
This Kakadu link will keep you busy for hours... lol..
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399443

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:51

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:51
Greendog

I spent a lot of time in Kakadu - mainly fishing - and going into the most remote places.

The main places for tourists just don't need a 4x4. ($$$$$) Just hire a normal comfortable car.

Going to see Ubirr rock art, Nourlangie rock, the tourist centre, Jabiru, Cahills crossing, Waterfall creek, are all bitumen.

Some of the more spectacular places are 4x4 and you would probably want to camp in there. The drive into Jim Jim & Twin Falls is long and definately 4x4 but well worth it. But it is only camping in there. They would be better to hop on a 4x4 day tour into there.

If they go at the end of the wet (my favourite time for fishing) many places are still closed as the water has not receded enough or the rangers have not got the crocodiles out of there.Twin falls was closed permanently for two years as they could not catch the croc lurking in there. Many other 4x4 tracks are washed out for months until they can repair them.

Yes the dry season is a bit dry and dusty but temperature is comfortable for mexicans from south of the border. And tourist facilities are all available.

For a quick fly in visit - just do the normal June time slot with a normal car. You will still see a lot and be amazed.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399473

Follow Up By: oldfart1953 - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:37

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:37
Ditto for the 'ordinary' car....Falcoon or Commodore
ENJOY
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668440

Reply By: Member - Tina D (VIC) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:11

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:11
Hi GREENDOG,

I have been to Darwin and Kakadu in July is the weather was good, Generally June and July are good times to go. A week in Kakadu and a week in Litchfield is probably enough just for those areas, but there is plenty more to see if they can spare a bit more time, if they could stay a month they would most of main attractions.

Cheers Tina
AnswerID: 399567

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 22:44

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 22:44
Thanks to every one that has replyed,i'll pass the info on.cheers GD
AnswerID: 399647

Follow Up By: ian - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 23:46

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 23:46
Hey Greendog,
please tell your friend that the bakery is not the highlight of Kakadu!
Youve got to wonder, don't you.
Ian
FollowupID: 668624

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 23:47

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 23:47
G/day Greendog

I have just noticed this thread.

This is a copy and paste of something I put on here a couplr of weeks ago.

Ok, let me help.

May I suggest you travel the Kimberley in May/ mid June, The Kimberley should be well open by this time, whereas Kakadu is still opening up in May.

I haven't been to the Kimberley for a while so I can't help much in the way of camping.

However, I live in Kakadu. There is no free camping as such, but it is $5 per person per night for basic bush camps and $10 per person per night for managed camp grounds.
Basic is drop toilets, managed is hot and cold showers, cleaned daily, toilet blocks, then there are the resort style camping areas.

Cooinda is large but expensive. this is attached to the Yellow Water cruise, no bookings required for camping.

In Jabiru there is Lakesview Park, booking essential, very clean and only 15 sites with ensuite toilets.

Aurora Lodge and Caravan Park, also clean but large with share toilet blocks and no pre-bookings taken.

Then 50 kms towards Darwin is the Aurora Kakadu Resort caravan park clean and tidy you may have to book.

Managed Kakadu park sites are:

Merl on the East Alligator River area.

Muirella Park 35 kms south of Jabiru, the Kakadu Culture Camp is also situated there.

Garnamarr Campground is on the Jim Jim road 12 kms from Jim Jim Falls, 4WD only and the gravel road can be very corrugated for first 50 kms.

Mardugal is not far from Cooinda.

Gunlom Falls camping area is 100 metres from the falls itself, with a nice picnic area. There is a basic camp site 15 kms before at Kambolgie Creek, this road is 40kms long and can get corrugated.

My choice of free camps is Sandy Billabong 6 kms from Muirella Park via 4WD track. This is a basic camp, not many people go there. It is fantastic to watch the sun rise and the billabong come to life while enjoying a cuppa.

This LINK is to our Web site. Anja updates the site with blogs on Kakadu and opening and closing times of various places etc, there is also maps, and visitor info on Kakadu as well.

On the maps page just zoom in and you will find all the Resorts and camping ares.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 668762

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 06:41

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 06:41
PS June, July, to Mid August are the busiest but coolest months, this is when Kakadu has fully opened.

If they are wanting to travel on their own a 4wd is a must, or as others have suggested there are day tours to some of the 4wd area's.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 668777

Follow Up By: luckymum - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:20

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:20
Thanks Steve for all that info.

Im researching Kakadu for Sept this year so all that info was a great help.

FollowupID: 668837

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:34

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:34
To Ian I didnt say the bakery was the highlight of Kakadu.

I said it had unbelievably good food and it does.

Was usually sold out by lunchtime.

Is run by a German family and is extremely popular.

We were told numerous times on our travels to go there

As far as scenery is concerned all of Kakadu is brilliant.

Have to wonder what people read dont you

FollowupID: 668843

Sponsored Links