The places you find Rubbish/Waste

Submitted: Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:37
ThreadID: 75476 Views:3329 Replies:11 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
As I get more of a chance to Explore this wonderful country we have here, I am constantly amazed at where I find Rubbish. Beer Bottles & Plastic drinks bottle are high on the list. Disposable nappies are up there as well.
Last week we spent a few days at the picturesque Mann River in the Caravan Park there. A truly beautiful place, not far from home. Several other EO members frequent the Mann River area often as well. Each day we went down to the river for a swim and a look about and each day I would bring bags of rubbish back with me. It hadn't been washed up, it was high up the bank.
Why cant people take their rubbish and mess with them when they leave?
Anyway, We haven't got much to complain about compared to these poor folk. Here is a couple of pictures of the Citarum river in Java.
Citarum river
Makes ya feel sick.

We do live in a blessed country.
I'd like to keep it that way, rubbish has kinda become my pet hate these days.

Anyway.
I Hope everybody enjoys their Australia Day tomorrow.
Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Boss - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:52

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:52
Mate up here the locals call the disposable nappies ''Kimbys'', i think its a brand name or something. Many spots we now call Kimby Country, because they are everywhere. Its disgusting

Beer cans, ice bags, nappies, and tinned meat tins. Everywhere during the wet.

Hate it,
AnswerID: 400982

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:36

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:36
Yeah mate they're Kimbies here too....(an old brand name)
and I know what you mean....DISGUSTING!!!
FollowupID: 670255

Reply By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:10

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:10
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 400987

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:38

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:38
Gday Hairs,
I know were ya coming from!

Happy Australia Day Too!!!!!!
Cheers
AnswerID: 400994

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:59

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:59
Hey Mate,
It's sicking to say the lest.
Most of the time it's just thrown from where ever it was last used. The rest, they go out of their way to "TRY" and hide/tuck it behind something, And in river beds, that's where you'll find most of it.

I know you'll enjoy your day Mate, LOL
FollowupID: 670258

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:39

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 19:39
I guess the reply from Tony was to much to bare and the relevance of my follow up has also been lost.

How far from a Maccas, Hows about 400 km's along the Anne Beadell Hwy.
Pretty obvious someone decided to clean out the car halfway along the track.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 400995

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:03

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:03
Hi john,
It is truly amazing how far Macca's wrapping can travel from their stores.
They'll find some on the moon soon I'll guess. ;)
FollowupID: 670260

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:30

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:30
You blokes have just hit on one of pet hates, bloody American fast food joints and their packaging.

Me, I'd put the buggers on notice. If I see any and I mean any more of your rubbish around the country I'll shut the lot of your dodgy "food" shanties on health grounds.

Did you get the impression I hate their rubbish?

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 670266

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:40

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 00:40
Fair enough Geoff. But its not Americans dropping in the bush though is it?

Matt.
FollowupID: 670304

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:59

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:59
I'd imagine there are a small percentage of American tourists dropping rubbish in the Australian bush!

You might like to go perform a survey on the specific nationality of the litterers!

That would certainly answer your question.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 670332

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:47

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:47
It wasn't me, I have never put any of Macca's garbage in my mouth.

I have seen first hand the effort some people spend in hiding rubbish, in most cases it is more than what it would be to take it home.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 670529

Reply By: Wherehegon - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:27
Only just read this I should have posted my post as a reply to yours "Stockton Beach". regards Steve
AnswerID: 401003

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:45
Your post Steve, Stockton Beach, what a mess !!!
Is spot on.
I mentions to the park owner how much rubbish I had brought up, and he comments that he and his offsider had only cleaned it all up two days before.
The other thing, only park guests have access to the river through the park.
Also the amount of twist top lids, there everywhere.
I really don't know the answer is.
FollowupID: 670269

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:47

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:47
Sorry about the bad grammar, It's hot and the kids are driving me to distraction ;)
FollowupID: 670270

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 21:02

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 21:02
""It's hot and the kids are driving me to distraction"" LOL Regards Steve
FollowupID: 670274

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:49

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 20:49
G/Day Jon

It seem to be getting worse as the days go by, a lot of us will go out of our way to carry out what we have carried into some of these places, even as you said, by picking up other peoples discarded rubbish one hopes to keep the natural beauty of some of these places intact, for all of us to enjoy in the future, but the powers to be will eventually stop all of us from going to these places, just because the Sub Humans don't know any better, and their Sub Human Offspring will ruin more of it for our Kids and Grand Children who have been taught to do the right thing, some days you wish there was a Bounty on these Morons, we could put them on the same list as the Cane Toads ect.

Cheers
AnswerID: 401010

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:14
Hi Daza,
We should be able to put them on the same list as cane toads. I really don't have a problem with that mate. :)
I can fully understand why property owners don't want people any where near their places these days.
It's a common talking point these days amongst a lot of us that do DO THE RIGHT THING.
We always carry extra shopping bags, better rephrase that, Biodegradable shopping bags with us where ever we go. Talking to the chap that runs the park, and he uses some very colourful words to describe these people, he's not happy about some of the things that they've left behind. At his servo, he said that they can't even walk 20 feet sometimes to put something in the bin that he provides.
Apparently under the picnic table is good enough most days.

I guess, like all of you here, we just bend down and pick it up, take it with us and dispose of it in the right manner.

Anyway Daza, Happy travels mate, and say G'day to the Cook.
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 670283

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 23:45

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 23:45
No dazza while littering annoys me theres no question things are far better than they ever have been

ever been to a woodcutters/sandlewood cutter/doggers camp?

they never took a thing with them out of the bush

I still remember when throwing stuff out the window was starting to become a recognised problem

campers were starting to be encouaraged to bury their rubish rather than leave it

KESAB was born. We now notice the rubish because therss less of it
FollowupID: 670298

Follow Up By: travelmate2 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:26

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:26
I'm with get outmore,

This is not a new problem, it's an old / very old problem.

I grew up in the time that you just left it and though it out the window, and I'm am sure that it these people that are doing it and there kids, someone else problem. not good enough.

Over the years I have changed my ways to be a lonely tree huger.. :-) sort off.

It's problem that needs fixing not laying the blame on someone.

cheers
FollowupID: 670307

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:18

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 22:18
See photo - we found this collection on 26 July 2009 at Georgia Bore. It's pretty clear that the rubbish was buried but subsequently dug up - all very fresh so suspect the people who buried this lot camped there around that date. The dingo wandering around the camp had a smile on his face!
MeganImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 401034

Follow Up By: travelmate2 - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 23:08

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 23:08
Rubbish

Anne Beadell Hwy 2008 new camp number 4, all over the place both sides of the track

Cheers
FollowupID: 670296

Reply By: BartWawa - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:55

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:55
As a side note we have just finished camping down at Dunns rock just out of Esperance. When we packed up we grabbed our six bags of rubbish and decided to drop them at the Esperance tip.

When we got there I was all ready to pay but the guy at the gate said "no charge we would rather you dump it here than leave it on the beach".

7 Kms out of way but hey, we left the campsite as it was when we got there.

Bart

AnswerID: 401051

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:17

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:17
Hi Bart,
Isn't that excellent.
Yet our council, Clarence Valley Council refuses to have bins in the main street of Grafton. When the Council refurbished and design the main street, they never replaced the public bins near the seating and pedestrian crossings. Shop owners have had to put plastic garbage bins outside their shops to stop people just throwing their rubbish in the gutter, which I have seen them do.

I can't for the life of me understand why some one would leave a site like the pictures above.

FollowupID: 670313

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:24

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:24
I think a lot of Councils and NPWS don't put bins around the place because it costs time and money for someone to come and empty them.

How short sighted is that because many people will make a decision not to go to a particular location because it generally looks disgusting because of all the rubbish around. Consequently loss of income and possibly employment for the area.
Unfortunately, there will always be some idiots dropping rubbish.

As for the Macca's rubbish, in my observations, it is generally frequented by the younger generation, and they are usually the ones you see hurling the stuff out the car window as they drive around.
You would think they would know better.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 670337

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:08

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:08
I hate rubbish as much as the next person (well the ones here anyway) but I hate even more the parks and camping areas that are taking away their bins and want you to take it out. No problem with taking it out but I do have a problem that once they use to do it and now they don't without reducing the cost. We find it more acceptable to take it out and less bins are the result. Don't eve get me started about paying NP fees where there are absolutely no facilities.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 670558

Reply By: Member - Patrick (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:43

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:43
Being a member of a 4WD club we would often go into areas that we would expect to pristine in its nature. However, we would often find rubbish and would spend a considerable to removing it. Many of us bought a rear wheel mounted rubbish bag that would do the job beautifully.

We always took a lot of pride in ridding areas of rubbish.

Leave only your footprints when traveling our beautiful country.

AnswerID: 401088

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 16:35

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 16:35
I know what you mean Jon. The worst I saw was in Bendethera Valley beside the beautiful clear Deua River (so clear that under torch light it looked like a dry creek bed!). We were wandering down to the river one afternoon and passed a couple of young girls (early-mid teens - old enough to know better) coming the other way. They seemed a bit embarrassed about us being there but as we approached the river we saw a fresh 'dropping' right on the edge of the river bank with toilet paper scattered about, some of it had already fallen into the river. Not only was this right next to the river (which other campers would be using for cooking, washing, perhaps even drinking) there was not even the slightest effort to bury or cover it. To add to the irony, these girls were on their way back to the campsite which was right next to the pit toilet! I can only assume they were repulsed by the smell of the pit toilet - their solution? Make the whole campground stink like a pit toilet!

Interesting that you reference to the Citarum River in Indonesia. I note that in most parts of Australia there is still some social stigma against littering (most litter bugs are a bit discrete or wait until people aren't watching) but in Indonesia it's just accepted as normal (people just chuck or drop rubbish as naturally as you or I would look for a bin to put it in). The idea of carrying even an empty drink bottle to a bin is absurd. And the rivers? They are viewed as convenient ways to dispose of waste (including human waste) as the water carries away anything dropped in there. Whole parts of the cities smell like the open sewers that they are, and during the raining season the residents all complain about the flooding (presumably caused by the blocked drains and rivers) and cry out that "the government must do something" - yes, Australia truly is a blessed country, let's keep it that way!
AnswerID: 401152

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 18:28
Slightly OT, though it annoys me immensely that these younger generation who drap an Aussie flag over their shoulders, and then proceed to leave trash everywhere on Australia Day.

The local beach which is a tourist destination for many overseas backpackers, deserves to be looked after better than this, with trash from several intoxicated groups just dumped on the ground and left for our Council to clean up tomorrow.

It seems to be a culture that is slowly creeping into our society that there is little care taken and it doesn't matter.

Thanks to those who go above and beyond to carry out others rubbish.

Andrew
AnswerID: 401180

Sponsored Links