Gibb River Road

Hi all, we (family of 5, 2 adults, 3 children) are looking at travelling the Gibb River Road in late July. Just wondering what peoples opinions are of doing it with a Jayco Eagle Outback or similar. We know this isn't the ideal choice but we're not real keen on other camper trailers due to setting up/packing up taking longer as we will be having a few overnight stops. We'll be travelling from Tassie. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:14

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:14
Jamieson,
The GRR is a ~700 Klm dirt road with some terrific places to stop and visit.

It's graded periodically, so if you go before that's done it will be a bugga of a trip in anything at all, however if you go soon after, it will be ok even at 90 KPH.
I've been over it 3 times in the last decade and all were in reasonable to poor conditions, twice I was towing a CT and even then I had no hassles.
You just have to drive to the road conditions prevailing at the time.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 403732

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:55

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:55
I agree with the above comments. The GRR has been improved a great deal over the last 20 yrs. Problem spots have been sealed to prevent erosion.
Cheers
FollowupID: 673299

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:24

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:24
I have a few pics of the varied gravel road surfaces on the Gibb on my site (Road Surfaces page)...... Here..... the eastern half of the Gibb is generally the rougher half and can be very stony in places.
AnswerID: 403745

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 21:56

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 21:56
Great photos Darian, Wished I had taken photos of the road surfaces Ive travelled.
FollowupID: 673764

Reply By: Jamieson - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:43

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:43
Thanks for your replies, first time I've posted but read forum regularly, looks like we'll be doing Gibb River Road in July and really looking forward to another adventure.
AnswerID: 403752

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:44

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:44
We did it last August and I would describe the road conditions as
1: Excellant
2: Good
3: Bloody awful.
I think that if I was to go again, and not want to do Mitchell Plat and Kalumbaru, I would go as far as Bell Gorge from the west and then go around the bottom and then into Elquestro and Home Valley from the east. Unless you go north there is a big lump of nothing in the middle.
M.
AnswerID: 403753

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:25

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:25
Mal and Di,

Can't agree with your assessment of nothind in the middle...What about Mornington Stn, Charnley Stn, Adcock Gorge, Galvans Gorge, Manning Gorge, Mt Elizabeth Stn all before you turn north towards Kalumbaru. 2008 one of our party pulled a new Jayco through althese and more, even up to the Mitchell Plateau, (although I personally would leave the van at King Edward River Camp) the only damage to the van was a few loose rivots by the time he got home. If you drive carefully and not be tempted to speed it should now be OK, a lot of work was being done on the Eastern end of the GRR.

There are some magnificent gorges on the Station properties and they really welcome you.

Regards Mike.
FollowupID: 673437

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:25

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:25
We did it last August and I would describe the road conditions as
1: Excellant
2: Good
3: Bloody awful.
I think that if I was to go again, and not want to do Mitchell Plat and Kalumbaru, I would go as far as Bell Gorge from the west and then go around the bottom and then into Elquestro and Home Valley from the east. Unless you go north there is a big lump of nothing in the middle.
M.

+1 we did it in August 2009 and the above pretty well sums it up. Personally I wouldn't tow anything over the Wyndham East Kimberley section. It's a shocker.
FollowupID: 676594

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:26

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:26
As already said, the condition of the GRR varies from awful to excellent depending especially on when it was last graded. When we were there a couple of years ago much of it was 100 kph standard. If you are thinking of including the Kalumbaru/ Mitchell plateau area, expect bad corrugations, especially the run into Mitchell Falls from the Kalumbaru Rd - I wouldn't take your van there.

There are no longer any free camping spots along the GRR itself. I understand the traditional owners (or maybe their advisers) got fed up with the mess left by travellers.

A very informative Kimberley site is this one. It's all the work of a Kununura lady who loves the Kimberley. The site includes a free downloadable travel guide and another very detailed guide is also available for a small fee. Highly recommended.

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403758

Follow Up By: Jamieson - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:39

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:39
Thanks John and Val, came across this site this morning and finding it very informative.Probably wouldn't be going to Mitchell Falls anyway, most likely stick to GRR with a few short side trips. We only have 9 weeks to do trip due to work and school commitments so we need to be selective as to where we go and how long we stop for.
FollowupID: 673337

Follow Up By: bigred - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 19:06

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 19:06
there's an awful lot to see a great trip know doubt did it a couple yrs ago we found that the gorges are gorgeous, but you get a bit gorged out I would highly recommend Mitchell's falls well worth the hike especially if good weather, good water holes to cool of and absolutely spectacular views, personally i think if you don`t do the falls every time you see it on telly you will regret not going, the gorges are great but there's lots of them many within very easy walking are drives along the track what ever go. do your thing an enjoy regards
FollowupID: 673569

Follow Up By: Jamieson - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 13:25

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 13:25
Thanks for your comments Bigred, probably would regret not doing Mitchell Falls, we'll keep an open mind and see how it all pans out when we get there, might as well make the most of everything we can while we're up there, might be one and only trip to the Kimberlys.
FollowupID: 673843

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:04

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:04
Jamieson
did some of the GRR, last july with a jayco dove outback. let 8lb out of the tyres & provided u drive to the conditions, should be OK. did the same to cape Leveque
good luck Tom
AnswerID: 403771

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:28

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:28
We also had the pleasure of going for a run around the Kimberley on tar, the ocean and the piece de resistance, the GRR. We expected a bit of a country track but it was more like a dirt highway. The Kalumburu Rd and especially the Mitchell Falls road were another thing. Quite corrugated but fine at 20 to 40 KPH. naturally only when safe. Slower than that and you will be chasing the false teeth all the way. But that's all you can do on corners etc. Leave the van at the river and camp in a tent at the falls. If you can find the money for a helicopter ride do so. Its a magnificent plateau and can only be appreciated as such from the air. Plenty of hot showers and flushing toilets all over the place now.

Two hints:

Don't even think of staying at El Questro; $66 for two to camp one night. Now I ask you is that a rip off. Try Home valley, just over the Pentecost and not so rip off.

Secondly an interesting track around the Cockburn Range called both the Cockburn Circuit and the Karunjie Track. Six hours to do 130 K. We had lunch at the Killing Tree. Safe and slow but the views of the range are tops. They made a bit of Australia and the QANTAS ad on the Swamp Road Shortcut part. Get a map from Emma Gorge resort reception, almost right across the road from the El Questro turnoff.Karuji Track

Top part of Australia.

Phil
AnswerID: 403773

Follow Up By: Jamieson - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:47

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:47
Thanks vk1dx, Mitchell Falls might be possible for us after all, will definetly do the helicopter ride if we get there. El Questro sounds expensive, might have a look there but stay somewhere else.
FollowupID: 673356

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 15:20

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 15:20
Hi Phil, we thought El Questro was still a 'must see' and camped in the 'private camping' along the river. In 2008 camping at the crowded area at the 'village' or along the river was $30 per night for two. $66 sounds a bit more than the rate of inflation - or have you included the visitors 'pass' in the $66?

By getting to El Q as early as we could in the morning, we got virtually 5 days touring from three nights camping. They charged for a 'pass' and that i think lasted five or seven days.

Hi Jamieson, you can check our My Blogs here and see what we did. We stayed at the King Edward River camp (after you cross the river) and found a day trip was adequate to see Mitchell Falls.

Conditions can change quickly. We were there in June 2008 and found the GRR road not bad, but people who went through a week into July after the crowds got onto it said it was the worst road they'd ever been on.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673360

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 17:41

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 17:41
Yes the pass was included. You cannot camp unless you pay it.

We only needed one night there. Then off to Kununurra and down to the Bungles. We had already been in the Kimberleys for just over 4 weeks.El Questro was a disappointment as far as gorges go also.

From Broome we had taken a cruise up the coast. We saw miles of huge and spectacular gorges. The boat would anchor in a bay and we would take the theree tenders (only six passengers) and head up all these rivers and be towered over by huge gorges. Of course you don't get much of a chance to see than as you are madly pulling in 1M long barras etc.

What we saw of the gorges at El Questro pailed into insignificance. Alsi it was the most expensive for camping for all our eight week trip.

FollowupID: 673380

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:02

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:02
Hi vk

We paid $30 for the pass, but as aforesaid, it covered several days. Being Voyages owned, they also had a surcharge for credit card payments. So in summary, it cost us $24 per day across the five days (well $24.24 if you include the surcharge).

We discussed with other travellers before we got there whether it was worth going in view of the cost, and decided is really was.Emma Gorge and Zebedee Springs were my two favourites. Although we had not done the cruises (that was beyond our budget), we found all the gorges we visited very different and worthwhile. We also took a sunset cruise on the Chamberlain River $86.

When considering the cost of fuel alone just to get there, a few $30 fees were not excessive. Most places in the area charged $30 a night regardless of facilities or lack of (except DEC parks camps which were much cheaper and nice places to stay).

By comparison we paid $38 per night to stay at Carnarvon Gorge in Qld - now that was excessive compared to other places equally and more remote.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673383

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:25

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:25
Fair enough. We just thought that for that amount of money we would get a better shower, service and the staff would be a bit more friendly. The girl taking our money was more interested in her ipod music than us.

They also broke the seal that goes back on the gas bottle when they filled it. Stuck it back on with sticky tape. Not a big deal. Hiding awhat they did was a big deal. I didn't notice it until the Bungles.

Minor things in the scheme but important when you are tired and dirty. We also expected a place that was just a little up market. Disappointed and don't mind saying so. Whereas Home Valley even walked us down to where we could setup and chatted for a tick. Service!!El Questro scribbled out a map on papaer and pointed 'over there somewhere.

We all have different wants and needs hey??

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 673385

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:49

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 18:49
Hi vk

Home Valley was shut to campers when we came through (2008), but was still open for accommodation for tour groups. We heard it was due to open to campers 1st July but spoke to others who went through after us and into July who found it still closed. It wasn't on our agenda anyway.

ELQ very busy shop staff pointed us to a stand of brochures on all the self drives and walks. I couldn't find one on the Cockburn Loop Circuit and asked, to be told that the King River road was closed and gates locked by the person running the station. I asked in Wyndham and this was confirmed, and on saying "How could they?" was told they could because it was a private road put through by the station for the station. We couldn't have taken our caravan around the Old Karunjie but planned to go to Wyndham via the King River Road. I have heard of people since that time going through the King River Road - was this part of your circuit?

Our shower at ELQ was a dip in the river (which they had to warn us that it couldn't be guaranteed crocodile safe), and the site they directed us to was not really suited to a rig our size, but the shop staff obviously hadn't seen these sites. Other than that, it was a lovely quiet riverside camp under a huge shady fig tree (so shady we had to run the genny occasionally). We could have used the amenities back at the overcrowded 'village' campground, but didn't as it was easier to use our own.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673387

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 20:52

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 20:52
We nearly didn't go to Elquestro due the "bad publicity'' of other travelers.
However we both thought it to be the highlight of the trip.
Yes it is expensive for very basic facilities but the scenery there is amazing.
We hired a boat and did an early morning on Chamberlain Gorge. Incredible but make sure you do it early as it gets very hot.
M.
FollowupID: 673418

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:03

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:03
Hi Mal & Di

Yes, we started out from home with negative feedback about ELQ being too up market and costly and not worth seeing, but talking to travellers along the GRR feedback was from those who had actually been there and was all 'mustn't miss it', so we went and would have regretted not doing so.

The cost of hiring a boat wasn't a lot different to being taken and supplied sunset drinks and nibblies so we chose the latter.

We did only self guided drives and walks, not paying out for any other tours than the cruise.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673420

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:04

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:04
Motherhen (I wish I knew your name instead of these childish ids)

We got the information from Emma Gorge which is also owned by the same mob. We also did the trip last year in June to July. I gather things changed.

Also we are campers not caravaners. You tend to get treated differently than the grey nomads. Caravan parks tend to favour the longer staying caravans so maybe that was the problem. We used to have a caravan but sold it as we started to get very frustrated at always having to leave it somewhwre and then having to retrace our steps and doing hundreds of miles without seeing anything new.

Anyway I need some shuteye. Another of those bloody chemo trips to the hospital tomorrow.

Cheers

Phil

FollowupID: 673431

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 00:32

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 00:32
Yair. I agree with Phil, Mh (I wish I knew your name instead of these childish ids) - wot about coming out of the longgrass after all these years??

Cheers.

Full name supplied.
FollowupID: 673452

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 00:42

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 00:42
Hi Phil & JB

I am a member of this and other travel forums; my husband and my children are not, nor are my brothers and sisters in law and their children. They do not need to be associated with what i say; nor do they want their name on internet forums. It is for the privacy of my family that i remain anonymous. Meanwhile i answer to any well meant variations of chook, hen, chicken etc. Other members here coined the title The Old Rooster for my husband, and he is happy to accept being called that. I do not consider my choice childish, but considerate of my family.

Cheers

Mh

Still hiding behind my feathers.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673453

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 07:55

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 07:55
Before this goes down the wrong road. You took me the wrong way.

I say this with both mirth and honesty in my words.

I am not after your whole family history. Just a first name would be excellent. No need to go so far as to come out of the closet. I don't even need to know what car you drive or where you live or anything else. Just a first name. Being friendly is all I am on about.

Your screen id is quite fine and no doubt it may suit you down to a tee. Mine does but I prefer to use my name in signing off. Some are downright rude, childish, egotistical or even offensive. Those I would never respond to even if I was the only one who could answer their question.

Phil
FollowupID: 673461

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:12

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:12
Fair enough Mh.

But as per Phil, what about a first proper name only. It doesn't even have to be your real first name. It could be Edith, or Susan, or even Bruce or Kev or John.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673502

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:28

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:28
Hi Phil and JB (with apologies to Jamieson for the side track and chit chat)

Real name v pen name threads come up from time to time. While i agree it is nice to use a name when replying, to me a pen name is a name and that gives me a picture of you. I do chip people who come on under "no name found" and I don't like to see this as there is no continuity when they may come on again. I usually address them with "Hi no name", but this can apply to a number of different people who post with no log in name so i feel like i am talking to a blank piece of paper not a real person. However when addressing by a pen name, i have an identity to think about which to me is a name. I will remember you by your log in names more than your sign off names as this is what i see. I do not read many threads, but scroll through the topics most days. When i meet you on the road, i will place you by your sign in, not your sign off name. When we meet members, we choose to share names. Anyone in the world can read this forum, and i choose to share my name with those i want to. As you say, there are a few here (usually lurkers) who i would not be interested in meeting. They don't need to know even my first name.

Members who follow the forum know heaps about me; that we live and farm sheep at Bridgetown. This is a small town, and with first names and knowledge which can be found here such as rig alone, anyone could find us. My rig pick shows what rig we tour with and people have recognised us out on the road from our rig; all members we have met this way have been really nice people and we have been very pleased they introduced themselves. I make frequent mention of our history of owning Landcruisers, mainly tray back, and our trusty Nissan 3 ltr Patrol. Hence i bite on Grenade threads, and Toyota v Nissan threads, with a bit of mirth as we own both. I have even mentioned that i have a small Corolla as well. All of this is nothing new.

I hope you will both forgive me for remaining an anonymous old chook

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673504

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:52

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:52
Dear Mh....to be more precise...an anonymous recalitrant unreconstructed but loveable old chook!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 673506

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:57

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:57
LOL John

That's a lot better than what Hairy once called me on a thread where i objected to someone using the term Handbrake and living.

Now a cackling anonymous recalitrant unreconstructed but loveable old chook

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673507

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 16:54

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 16:54
Dear motherhen

Think nothing of it. I respect your preferences.

No worries.

God I hate the chemo. But I didn't lose my hair. I wonder if at the end the balding patch will regrow!!!

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 673548

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:02

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:02
Hi Phil

Sounds like you aren't having the best ot times in life. I wish you best of luck with it.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673549

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:15

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:15
Its okay, but you just try and stop me on the next big trip. Its up to Cape Youk. Its a family only one. Mum, Dad and two sons, with their families, in their own cars. What a blast.

You little ripper!

Thanks for the wishes.

Phil
FollowupID: 673555

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:44

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 17:44
Hi to those of you in the silly screen name debate. I only stumbled upon this while searching for something else.
'Motherhen" suits this very kind person down to the ground, always ready to help, she's been a big help to me and before we joined E.O. we met her and the old rooster while on one of our trips. She is far from an old chook and we're pleased to have met them both, doesn't matter what her name is ,"a rose by any other name would smell as sweet".
We were at Elquestro after the huge flood too and couldn't complete our trip. Jacks waterhole was washed away and debris rendered many of the gorges closed.
We stayed at Elquesto and chose a wonderful camp under a huge Figtree. Truly lovely until 2 banded tree snakes fell out of the tree onto the Toyota bonnet. Long story. I did a "Freddie Flintstone "when a snake came near me back in those days.
The people employed at the shop knew virtually nothing, didn't care and misled us. The ranger put us right when we saw her but it was too late.We felt that it was overpriced but Emma gorge made up for everything that went wrong there.
Don't camp at Emma Gorge though, the septics stank 2001 0r 2. We hope to return to finnish our trip one day, if we can ever retire and plan to stay at Home Valley.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye Sally.
FollowupID: 673557

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 18:10

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 18:10
HI Phil,
I'm so very sorry to hear of your chemo treatment. Neville has Leukaemia. I wish you all the very best and that a cure can be found for you and Neville and others with this dreadful disease SOON!
Take care.
Bye Sally.
FollowupID: 673559

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 00:24

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 00:24
Hi Sally.

Should we call you Mrs flintstone then??? After the snake attack. We saw two on a recent trip to the hills around here. We see several browns a year in the back yard. They soon leave. Pretty things.

Read what I said again. You will see I am not picking her rather the stupid, egotistical and rude ones. I would just like to talk (read chat) to a name. Seems more friendlier.

My cancer is similar. Its a large rogue protien from the marrow that replaces a lot of the oxygen carring thingumys in the blood and leaves me with very little oxygen in the brain. The blood also does not congeal so I have to watch bleeding. Had an 11 hour nose bleed the other day. Carrying an oxygen bottle wont help.

I think I had better get some shut eye.

Off to the 4WD show in Queanbeyan tomorrow to spend more of our monopoly money. I wish. Next purchase will be a new bullbar that will take a winch we will need also.

Phil
FollowupID: 673620

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:40

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:40
Hi Phil,
Sorry if a bit off topic but we were talking snakes & screen names yesterday.
No, don't call me Mrs. Flinstone any more . I used to call it the panic stricken jig and couldn't control it.
We also share our home with Tiger snakes, copper heads & red bellied blacks. Hubby doesn't mind them but I still hate them. We live on 10 acres of natural bush in the Otway ranges in S.W. Vic.
Our block is for wildlife which includes snakes unfortunately.
Prior to that we lived on cattle stations in the N.T. with King Browns. I used to be terrified of them. In my old age, I've become more used to them, now I just slowly back off or stand very still if they're too close.
For a while there, scientists were looking at Tiger snake vennom as a cure for Leukeamia!! Neville has CLL. and will wind up with the problems you're having now before a bone marrow transplant. We're members of the Leukeamia foundation and keep up with all the news. Best of luck
Take care.
Bye Sally.
FollowupID: 673675

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 00:55

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 00:55
Pen names

Hi Phil and JB. It may be all good when someone you camped with a couple of years previously comes into your area, remembering only one Christian name and the brand of your rig, and easily finds you. BUT it shows what can be done and why many people prefer to stay anonymous on the internet.

Cheers

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 676166

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 07:59

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 07:59
Hi MH

I thought this was dead. No idea who JB is.

All I wanted was a first name to talk to.

Don't worry about us walking into your camp.

We do not join in the camping area idea of happy hours. We like to get away. So there is not a chance in hell for us to walk into any camp and say "Hi Bob". Yes We will acknowledge friendship but that as far as it goes.

I know a lot of people will say we are antisocial. Sop be it. We do not care.

So there it is. I was only being friendly.

Name withheld
FollowupID: 676172

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 08:30

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 08:30
All,

Can you please take the time to read the Chit Chat and Off Topic rules.

Several of you are members who could have used MM for this OT chat.

Please keep to the Topic on hand, which was about the Gibb River Road.

Regards
The ModSquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 676177

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:28

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 21:28
The infamous GRR is not as bad as it used to be. Had a friend showing us piccys of his trip up there explaining to us how difficult it was until I pointed out a Holden Commodore in the background :-))
Not quite sure of your thinking re the time it takes to set up a Jayco Eagle Outback. If the two I've travelled with were any indication more than half of all camper trailers are faster to errect than their pop tops. Either way if you pack light & drive steady the Jayco will do the job.
Cheers Craig........................

AnswerID: 403814

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:51

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 22:51
Don't be put off El Questo, Our first visit (2002) was a disaster after a major flood and I was a little anxious in returning in 2008. But we decided to spend three nights there amongst the hoards true, but during the four days ventured to different gorges and had a ball (you couldn't appreciate them all with only one night stay. For the less able there is a boat tour and or helicopter flights. I appreciate it is expensive (families get a raw deal in most places) but remember for most people this great trip may be a once only -- my advice see as much as you can, the Kimberlies is still a magnificent place but it is slowly changing and being overwhelmed by tourists (and need I mention mining exploration). For the children this will be a trip they will remember for a life time.

enjoy

Mike.
AnswerID: 403834

Follow Up By: Jamieson - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:12

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:12
Thanks Mike, yes will keep an open mind re El Questro, creating these sort of memories for our children is one of the main reasons for these trips, who knows what these special places will be like for future generations?
FollowupID: 673486

Reply By: Member - Peter S1 (TAS) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:20

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:20
Jamieson,

We are also from Tasmania and hopefully will be on the GRR in late July.

We will be towing a 20' BT off-road van.

If you would like to swap notes at this end, send me an email.

Cheers,

Peter S1
AnswerID: 403883

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:17

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:17
Hi Jamieson. We are in Tassie at the moment - nearing the end of a 14 week tour of your beautiful state.
We did GRR in 2006. As stated, the road conditions vary. Much of it was in excellent condition, but parts were very rough when we did it.Mitchell Falls was well worth the time and effort.El Questro was excellent, but you need 2 or 3 days at least. From memory, we spent at least 4 days there.

My Kimberley Blog is here - Kimberley Blog. It tells the story and highlights of our trip.

Drive to the conditions and reduce tyre pressure on the dirt roads and you should be fine. Have a great trip.

Norm C
AnswerID: 403894

Reply By: bbuzz - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:19

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:19
I too am going to be in the GRR area but not till later - Aug? I am coming across from the Savannah Way in July and I am interested in the caravan comments as I have a 14" Windsor Rapid and was wondering if i could get it along the GRR. It sounds like common sense will make it happen.
Does anyone have feedback about the Savanah Way for caravans?
AnswerID: 403895

Reply By: Jamieson - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:05

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 14:05
Thanks once again everyone for your advice/opinions, all greatfully received, sounds like common sense will get us along the GRR. Roll on July!
AnswerID: 403911

Reply By: Aussielass - Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 23:02

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 at 23:02
Hi, i have driven the GRR several times in my Holden Commodore, never had any problem. Plenty of it is 100kph. Like others have said though, just drive to the conditions. THe Kalumburu road is a different story however and i would think twice before towing anything up there.
AnswerID: 403977

Reply By: Off-track - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:03

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:03
Drive to the conditions and keep your tyre pressures around the same as for highway, you'll be fine. Strong carcasses will prevent flats as there are some sharp stony sections.
AnswerID: 404039

Sponsored Links