Secluded Spots in the Flinders?

G'day

I am after some suggestions of spots in the Flinders between say Wilpena and Melrose, to take the missus on a picnic and get back to nature so to speak.

Having been wracking my brain for secluded spots including the 'pay to 4WD properties', but specifically, creeks valley's etc that are a bit off the beaten track, where having a bus load of tourists or the like come through is unlikely. I have a kitted out 100 series, so getting there is no problem.

Thanks in Advance.

Snowy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:35
Hi Snowy.
We did a trip through that area 2 years ago.(July)
We found some great spots in Brachina & Parachilna gorges.
Wherever you travel in the Flinders you will certainly have a great time.
Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 404033

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 06:57

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 06:57
Vince
Good call Mate !

Heaps of good spots there, on both Groges
Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 673791

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 14:10

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 14:10
Have a look at Hannigan's Gap, it is on the PAR from Moollooloo Station to Artimore Ruins. Enter from Glass Gorge.

Plenty of places in a red gum lined large creek to get away from the passing vehicles.

Also close to Nucaleena Mine PAR.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 673992

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:45

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 13:45
That's the problem with them being National Parks Snowy, you are restricted to the approved camp areas. I have always enjoyed Akraman campground within the park or a bit quieter is Koolamon at the northern end. Brachina is a good spot. The 4x4 Loop in the Gammons is also a good alternative. Down along the creek near Swindells hut being one spot. Just remember to cart firewood in with you as you are not allowed to collect within and it is scarce anyway. It's a great part of the world.

Cheers Mick

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 404035

Follow Up By: DIO - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:11

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:11
As for the 'firewood' you can forget about open fires in that area between 1st of November and 15th of April (ban period can be and often is extended).

Southern Flinders District
All Reserves: All wood fires or solid fuel fires are prohibited throughout the year, other than as
follows: Mambray Creek Campground; wood fires or solid fuel fires are prohibited from the
1st November 2009 to the 15th April 2010, fires are permitted outside these dates in designated
fireplaces only. Gas fires are permitted other than on days of Total Fire Ban for all Reserves.

OUTBACK REGION
Vulkathunha – Gammon Ranges National Park, Coongie Lakes National Park, Wabma Kadarbu
Mound Springs Conservation Park, Witjira National Park, Lake Eyre National Park, Simpson
Desert Conservation Park, Simpson Desert Regional Reserve, Tallaringa Conservation Park and
Innamincka Regional Reserve. All wood fires or solid fuel fires are prohibited from 1st November
2009 to 31st March 2010. Gas fires are permitted other than on days of Total Fire Ban.
Flinders Ranges National Park: All wood fires or solid fuel fires are prohibited from 1st November
2009 to 15th April 2010, fires are permitted outside of these dates in designated areas only.
Gas fires and fuel stoves are permitted except on days of Total Fire Ban.
Exception: Wilpena Pound – All wood fires, solid fuel fires or gas fires are prohibited throughout
the year other than at Cooinda Camp where gas fires are permitted except on days of Total
Fire Ban.
For further information, please contact the Port Augusta Regional Office (08) 8648 5300 or the
Wilpena Visitor Centre (08) 8648 0048 or CFS Fire Bans Hotline 1300 362 361.

LINK
FollowupID: 673963

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:54

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 14:54
Arden Hills just out of Quorn.

Arden Hills

Excellent four wheel drive track, and there's some nice picnic spots in there too.
Spectacular scenery too....much better than what the website shows.
The day we were there, we only saw one other 4WD on the tracks.
Zero chance of any tourist buses coming through.

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 404047

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:06

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:06
Arden Hills. Get the key from Austral Hotel, Quorn. I have no affiliation with the pub but have done the track 3 or 4 times (whenever family come up from the city I take them on this track).
Phone: (08) 8648 6017

It's about $45 but worth it. You will need low range the whole way, drop tyre pressures to about 25psi, it can be a little bumpy and there is one wash out where you will need to get out and plot your way through. But apart from that the views from the top are excellent 360 degrees. Looking over Lake Torrens, Port Augusta, the quorn valleys and up northwards into the Flinders.

There is a shady picnic spot in a (dry) creek bed which is always cooler than other places around. Hundreds of Yaccas, lots of kangaroos, and if you see one other 4wd you will be unlucky.

Of all of the 4wd tracks south of Hawker this is the best one, and I have done most of them.
AnswerID: 404057

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:09

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:09
There are numerous shady spots in dry creek beds to sit under a tree and relax or have little wander around.
FollowupID: 673721

Reply By: snapper49 - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:21

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:21
Check before you go now beacause last few days the whole area was subjected to some serious rainfall with many wash outs
AnswerID: 404058

Sponsored Links