Lancelin to cervantes 4wd track

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:48
ThreadID: 76028 Views:13632 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if anyone new about the condition of the lancelin to cervanties track? And if they can please tell me what it is like and if it is worth doing?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:59

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 20:59
There is a Trek in the Trek Notes on this track.

Wedge Island Beach run Trek Note

I just looked it up to find out where you were talking about LOL

HTH

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404227

Reply By: 4x4 Equip - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 21:12
The Lancelin to Cervantes trip is a WA classic and is worth doing before the new highway goes through. It's always an easy trip except for a treacherous strip of beach at Dide Bay. My suggestion is to check that the Navy Range isn't going to be closed first. If the range is open stay off the beach at Dide Bay (you'll see all the "Phone 089.......For Recovery" telephone number signs in the sandunes) and use the coastal tracks behind the dunes - just keep heading North parallel with the coast, they all come out at the same spot. The beaches after Dide Bay are usually good for travelling - tyre pressures down though. The track is easy sand and limestone. Check out the Pinnacles near Cervantes.
AnswerID: 404231

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:09

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:09
heres a trip report
http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=50325&highlight=lancelin
AnswerID: 404241

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:12

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:12
uh sorry try this
lancilin to cervantes
FollowupID: 673923

Reply By: jezza68 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:00

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:00
Hi Navara,

I was just reminiscing today about the same place.

We used to have a camp at Wedge North.

Back in the old days we used to get cartons of beer to guide 4wders thru the Bomb Range. And then on to Grey and the Pinnacles.
The only people we would see were the original Pinnacle Tour Operators in Standard Troopies. They would call in for a chat and a cuppa. The Tourists used to try the smoked herring we would cook up.

Sadly approx 15 years ago some West Australian Journo published details on Wedge and included a map. The next long weekend we counted 723 4wds, 1245 bikes and 21 tours.

The last straw was the Parents who believe they should tow up a few motorbikes for the kids so they can tear off and annoy everybody else. Whilst the parents enjoy a quiet weekend of drinking!!

As already described there are 2 ways in. The first is enter the offroad area and follow the track North and wrap back onto the beach. Low tide only and low pressure in the tyres.
Or enter the offroad area and follow the main wheel tracks to the North. They will disappear to a sandy track. Follow this Northwards the track will have sandstne rocky sections, until you come to a track heading West on top of a rise. This takes you through the bomb range and will be closed off if in use. Just keep on this track and follow it Northwards, you will pass Communications Hut just before entering a flat sandy plain. Follow the well defined wheel tracks and it will bring you to the Wedge island shacks. Wind our way thru to the beach. Left will take you to Wedge island Spit and North along the Beach to the Northern Rocks. At the Northern Rocks there is a climb into the dunes and then follow the track parallel to the coast to get to Grey and the Pinnacles. Be prepared for scratches on the paint work on the Grey/Pinnacles track
AnswerID: 404257

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:41

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:41
I'd check with Main Roads first.

The Lancelin to Cervantes new road is well under construction awaiting sealing. It is closed to all traffic and covers a fair bit of the route.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 404262

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:19

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 16:19
Hi,
We were looking at going up to wedge for a day trip so I emailed Main Roads today, They said the track is open and in use.
However once the Indian Ocean Drive road has been open to the public their intention is to close and rehabilitate the track/s

Make the most of it while you can

Sheers
Tony and Dawn
AnswerID: 404324

Sponsored Links