Darling River run in 2 weeks??

hi there
one of you nice people has suggested to do the Darling river run for my 2 weeks holiday in July. I did some research and found it most interesting. My concern is if it is too much driving from Sydney ?
We did Lightning Ridge, Cunnamulla, Quilpie, Windorah last year and were comfortable with the distance travelled.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Traveling w/ Prado and Off road trailer or road caravan.

JS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 22:54

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 22:54
Hi JS,
I too will be doing the darling river run in July with my 80 year old father.
The trek notes on this site say that it would only take two days in total to drive so the distance is not great.
We will be meandering and taking a side trip to White Cliffs and reckon we could do it comfortably, allowing 2 night stops for sight seeing and fishing every now and then.
I gather because of the school holiday time frame you will be travelling with kids, if thats the case a first days travelling to Dubbo and a trip to the zoo might be an option, an easy run up from the big smoke.
Set up camp on the first night a day at the zoo second day and a run up to Bourke or Brewarrina on the third day.
I wouldnt have thought the travel involved would be much different from last years trip.
Any way enjoy the trip, might catch you up there,
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 406247

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:36

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:36
Will, I am not sure which trek notes you looked at, but 2 days is nowhere near long enough to do justice to that trip.
The Darling runs from Bourke to Wentworth, so I guess it depends how far you want to go.
If you are going to do a side trip to White Cliffs, the the road from Tilpa out through Tongo and into White Cliffs is a good trip, but it depends on the road conditions as to how long it will take. You could easily spend half a day at least in White Cliffs and not see it all.
Even 3 days isn't long enough in my opinion if you want to have a look at the various towns along the way.
Just a look around the Menindee Lakes area is also best part of a day there too.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675937

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 00:46

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 00:46
Hi Dave,
I totally agree that 2 days is no where near long enough.
I was quoting the miniminal time needed to travel the route, that is listed on this sites Darling river run trek notes.
I myself am allowing 2 weeks for the trip.
My point in quoting the 2 days travelling was to indicate to JS that the distance involved was not great, so allowing for the time restraints of the school holidays, and his home location in Sydney, the trip should be an easy one.
I will be travelling with my wife (the English Rose ) and my daughter ( the little Princess) in our Jackaroo and my father and his wife in their Prado.
As I have said earlier Dad is in his 80th year and his big trips are behind him now, so we will be taking it easy and setting up camp early.
With early camp set up we are hoping to be able to do some camp oven cooking, with time being not so much an issue.

Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 406262

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32
You can drive the distance in two days. but you won"t see anything .. so there would not be much point. My wife and I did it in 10 days out of Newcastle, and saw almost everything ... and it was a nice easy pace. So you will do it in two weeks. Three would be better.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 406303

Follow Up By: kev.h - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:35

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:35
Hi Jack
Any tips on the best camp spots we are doing the run in August allowing 10 days Bourke to Wentworth
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 676023

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 14:07

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 14:07
Hi Kev,
We did the run up from Menindee Lake last year to Bourke was part of a holiday with a family who were on their first touring holiday. We camped at the Lakes outside Menindee free that was really good spent 2-3 days did a run to Kinchega Nat Park etc then travelled up and camped at Tilpa weir opposite Tilpa Free, you can also camp in the Nat park think the campgroud is called horseyard or something ( someone else will let us know the correct name) we are considering doing Menindee again so as to see it with a fair bit of water in it in July holidays. Consider if you have time spending a few days in Brkon Hill and if so I suggest camping at Penrose Park. Hope this helps
Barb
FollowupID: 676031

Follow Up By: kev.h - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 16:16

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 16:16
Thanks Barb
Thats the info I am after we aim to spend 2-3 days in Menindee area and maybe 2 days in Broken Hill other than that we will stop where we see something of interest
Cheers Kev
FollowupID: 676052

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 20:15

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 20:15
Hi Kev
WE will be out there in July hopefully not sure what else we will see as this is the third time to Broken Hill so we will find something new to look at each time we go we take new people out so we often see the same things but that doesnt matter it beet being at home
barb
FollowupID: 676094

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:13

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:13
Hi Kev:

My wife and I did all National Parks on the Darling part of the trip.

1. Warrumbungles (Coonabran)
2. Gundabooka NP (our base for Bourke)
3. Wilga in the Paroo-Darling NP for Wicannia and White Cliffs
4.Kinchega NP, Menindee for our Menindee (done Broken Hill a few times)
5.Balranald Caravan Park (run home)
6.Nyngan Riverside CP (last night)

Warrumbungles is very well appointed.

Gundabooka was good, quiet, but you need to make sure you have enough water, as there is none.

Wilga has river water which was fine for cooking and showering.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 676257

Sponsored Links