GME vs UNIDEN vs ...

Looking at getting a UHF radio soon, just wondering if people have had experiences with either or both or any other brands that are worth while.

Any pros - Cons of each or things I need to know? I'm looking at getting something fairly basic and don't want controls on the hand piece.

I have been having a good look at the GME range in particular the 3220, the 4400 and the 3100.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sweetwill - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:18

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:18
hi Nic & Dee,
I have the gme 3220 in the ute and it works fine, I have a 6dc ariel the curly wire one about 30cm It does all that I need cheers bill.
AnswerID: 407093

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:32

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:32
GME Aussie made.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407097

Follow Up By: madcow - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:44

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:44
GME!! Aussie made. Nothing wrong with Uniden though I'm biased towards local product and will support local industry. Parts available everywhere if needed. Just make sure you install the antenna correctly with good connections to the coax.
FollowupID: 676908

Follow Up By: signman - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:49

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:49
GME Aussie 'assembled'..!!

FollowupID: 676911

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:25

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:25
'GME aussie made'...... we worry about whether a $400 radio is Aussie made or not, fly the flag etc, then put it in a $40, $50, $60 thousand or more Japanese, British or American vehicle... hardly a huge deciding factor....

Dave

FollowupID: 676930

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 18:54

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 18:54
I have GME 3420 remote head... Aussie made.. I think they are a bit complicated with far too much crap on them for a bloke who wants to speak to someone else closeby.... Anyway its clear outwards and inwards,,, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 676969

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:32
The Bushwhackers
All good and well, but please show me an Aussie made vehicle like the Troopcarrier, or a Nissan Patrol,
still going strong with 836,179 K's

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 677033

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 00:35

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 00:35
Doug, can't argue with you there, it's just the 'buy aussie' mentality of some that amuses me. Considering the costs involved in vehicle purchase and fitting out for touring or whatever, a radio assembled in Australia from,more than likely overseas components, wouldn't make much difference. Buy whatever suits your needs, and budget.

I am an Australian manufacturer of mining machinery components, and my creed is that if I cant make a better, or cheaper component than my opposition, or if my service doesn't warrant the extra costs involved in manufacturing in Australia, then I will be out of business, with no whining on my part.

Yes, I buy Aussie in preference to imported goods whenever possible, but I don't jump up and down and say 'look what a good loyal bloke I am'.

You said it yourself, sometimes there is no choice.

Oh yeah, the components I manufacture end up digging holes in China, must be doing something right.

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 677052

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:07

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 09:07
Doug, Madcow & others,

I checked the GME website this morning, quite impressive, but...
I was a little disappointed to see them state that their printed circuit boards are made by robots 'in a fraction of the time human hands can make them'. Doesn't sound like they employ too many aussies in manufacturing.

Also, this copy and paste from the GME website:

'To compliment our range of Australian designed & manufactured products, and to provide our dealer network with a complete product portfolio, we have entered into a number of strategic alliances with offshore manufacturing organisations. These external relationships are based on either an exclusive distribution agreement, or a contractual arrangement where an approved overseas factory will build products developed by our Engineers..'

How many Aussie jobs are we helping to provide? I certainly wish it were more, but I'd suggest that the retailers & sales reps would be in the majority, same as Uniden. I've been wrong before, but GME admit to having ' strategic alliances with offshore manufacturing organizations', and ''a contractural arrangement where an approved OVERSEAS FACTORY will build products designed by our engineers'

Australian made? I think we are being misled.

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 677070

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:18

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:18
Used lots included no names over the last 25 years as convoy links and as checkpoint ( cross country rallying) communications.
Our Uniden units have worked pretty well and have been reliable although we have seen others with them wher they packed up due to vibration (bad mounting?) and dust causing circuit board tracking.
Our GME and I-com units have been bulletproof and seem to consistently work over longer distances in both vehicle and hand held. They also cost more.

regards

a
FollowupID: 677270

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:39

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:39
Have had my uniden for 5 years and it's still going strong

It's really personal preference they are both good units
AnswerID: 407098

Reply By: bushy04 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 15:40

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 15:40
GME, have one in the ute,3rd vechile its been in, in ten years and still one of the best sets around.

Bushy
AnswerID: 407110

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:09
Either brand. They are both excellent.

But like the poster above said, get the basic model. One that cannot be "bumped" into a strange mode. Oops I bumped the radio and now I cannot get it back to the "normal" operating function. And darn it the manual is at home.

Yep Get the basic model. Do you really want one that bakes cakes for you.

You have your mind going in the right direction. Well done. Also don't worry too much about antennas. I could recommend one strength and about everyone else will recommend another strength. Get what suits the car and budget. If you are running around in the bush a lot you may want to get one that will bend and not break. But I suggest a ground independent one if its on the bullbar.

Our family have the GMS 3220 3420 versions. Simple and a bit cheaper than the do-it-all models. We just bung a 9db antenna on the bullbar towards the center of the bullbar. Among the family cars its fine.
AnswerID: 407112

Reply By: Nik & Dee - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:14

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:14
Nice,

Thanks everyone, looks like the GME has a pretty good report so will go with that. I have found a few good specials on line so now just have to pick which one suits me. Looking at a 6dB antenna and can get a package for around $400 from prestige on line.

Thanks again

Nik
AnswerID: 407113

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:52

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:52
Don't forget about Icom .The IC 400 Pro would be one of, if not the best uhf on the market. Great build quality and you can decide how basic you want it
Down the track you may need other functions wich you can activate as required.

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 676936

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 18:32

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 18:32
Either brands are suitable in most cases and it gets down to how you can mount it.

I had a Uniden 100 in my previous vehicle which fitted in a single Din panel below the radio.

In my new vehicle there was no Din space available as the radio took up 2 din spaces.

My solution was to buy a GME TX3420 which has a remote face plate.
The main box was mounted up behind the dash in a convenient place and the face plate stuck to the front of the centre console with silicon.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 407140

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 08:27

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 08:27
The ICOM IC440 is also remote but, unlike the GME, it has the mic & speaker in the hand unit and can be heard without the need for an extension speaker. I think it is an excellent quality unit.
FollowupID: 677066

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:06

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 19:06
Don,

No argument from me mate.
The Icom units are also very good.

As far as a speaker in the mic head though, I have to say that my hearing isn't what it used to be but I have no problem hearing conversations from the GME speaker even though the box is under the dash.
No need for a remote speaker, although the feature is there if you need it.

The remote head (compactness) was the necessary requirement when I was shopping for one. The price was a secondary consideration.
I was happy to try the Aussie brand this time round.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 677172

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:49

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:49
Bill,

I didn't actually try the GME, listened to the Icom sales pitch re poor hearing and extension speakers needed for GME if hearing is on the wain..., as mine is, I'm a deaf old bugger.

My head unit is mounted under the seat...too much crap under the dash in the LC200, including a knee airbag.

And, the hand unit on the Icom is not any bigger than the GME from memory. As for Aussie made..., well I have my doubts that it is..., maybe assembled as someone else implied but since I paid north of $90K for a Japanese vehicle, it hardly makes any difference where the radio comes from.

FollowupID: 677239

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 02:03

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 02:03
can only go on personall experience Ive had plenty of GME work radios both in vehicle and handheld. only issue has been dead batteries in old equipment

had a few Uniden work radios and everyone has had issues with send/recieve qaulity

the main kalgoorlie comms supplier wont deal with uniden due to their high failure rate and poor backup

yes people re happy with their unidens but its the same as waecovsengle

the man on the street may not notice a difference but in the tougher comercial abuse testing where the true quality is revealed
AnswerID: 407196

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:56

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:56
Would not touch Uniden UHF radio's, GME and Icom are much much better.

You can always pick people who use Uniden radio's buy the poor transmit audio quality.

If travelling in convoy and some one is talking on a Uniden a lot we tend to turn the UHF off.

All you have to do is look at all the UHF's that are used in a commercial environment (transport, construction, farming etc.) and see how many are not Uniden.

We use Icom IC-400 pro's and IC-F2010's in mobile situations and we have 4 GME TX6200 handhelds.

Icom make the best radio,s with GME close behind in second place and Uniden miles away in last place.

For aftersales support and availability of spare parts GME is miles in front with Icom second and again Uniden a distant last.

When we supply to mining, transport and construction company UHF radio gear they all stipulate GME....why because it's reliable and of good quality.

AnswerID: 407218

Reply By: Danger Mouse - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 09:59

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 09:59
I installed a GME 3340 (remote mic version) in my LC100 Sahara about 6 months ago connected to an RFI 9db aerial and it works brilliantly. GME seems to be the pick of the bunch among the cockies out in Gundy.

The unit is nice and compact, hides under the centre console and only the mic (with the lcd and all controls) is visible. Works a treat for me. Range is pretty impressive too.
AnswerID: 407486

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)