The perils of cheap air travel in Australia - Another Tassie tiger is on the way

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 23:46
ThreadID: 76659 Views:5383 Replies:25 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Well here we are having an exciting stop over at Launceston airport. Unfortunately we took advantage of cheap air flights on Tiger and I have to say , the experience has been appalling. After being constantly lied to for the past 8 hours, our flight was due to depart at 5:50pm this afternoon, the scene is one of anger and frustration with about 180 people about to riot. The local police have arrived. Despite numbers of elderly people, pregnant women and quite a few small kids, Tiger have not provided any consideration for their passengers what soever. Water has to be taken out of the taps in the toilet, there is no food available and Tiger won't take responsibility for your flights if you leave the airport.

I've travelled a lot of the world and on a lot of airlines over the years but I have never seen a group of "customers" treated as contemptuously as I have tonight by Tiger airways. Apparently our plane will now arrive at 1.30 a.m. despite being in Sydney which has a curfew. Hmmmm I hope the coppers stay around when they finally tell the truth and cancel it.

Frustratedly, Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 23:51

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 23:51
That heading should be;

"Another Tassie Tiger on the way to extinction".

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407757

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 00:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 00:42
Yep,

they cancelled it. 7 coppers here now to keep the peace. Magically they'll get another plane to fly us out tomorrow night. They were right in sending the convicts down here...it's a damn hard place to get out of LOL.

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407759

Reply By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:37

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:37
I have to be the devils advocate and ask-why did you use them to book a flight? You'd only have to watch half an episode of "Airways" to realize this is a possibility?

I certainly wouldnt use them if travelling with kids or otherwise encumbered. Perhaps if travelling light only?
AnswerID: 407763

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:22

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:22
Watched it last night for the first time Fisho and it was a fun show as long as you were not a passenger.

I think the only people equipped for that type of service are fit, resoucreful retirees with plenty of time on their hands
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677684

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:23

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:23
Its how they can offer it so much cheaper than others, and suitable only for those who can accept the conditions. Though the woman who had 2 flights cancelled 3 days apart had it pretty rough.
FollowupID: 677790

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:43

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:43
Mick they have so few aircraft operating in Aus that as soon as one breaks down or is delayed enough to hit the curfew problems encountered at various airports ya literally are stuffed, no replacement.

Bet they didn't offer to put you up at a hotel either. :-(

Bugga mate!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407769

Reply By: craig2 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:25

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:25
As rule of thumb "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".
AnswerID: 407777

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:48

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:48
Watch Airways .. it seems to be a 30 minute doco on the failings of Tiger Air. Much easier in a 4WD. : )

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407778

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:12

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:12
much more like a 30 min doco on people who dont wear a watch and cant bear to miss out on as much as 5 seconds smoking time out the front of the terminal instead of checking in and waiting in the departure lounge
FollowupID: 677760

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:24

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:24
Have to agree there on quite a few of the episodes, GOM
FollowupID: 677791

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:17

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:17
hahahah Jack, much easier on a 4WD, that water crossing between Melbourne and Launceston is a tad tough at high tide though hahahahahahah
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678145

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:41

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:41
Nah Bonz .. just need a longer snorkel (or two). :)

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 678157

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 14:31

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 14:31
I was thinking a monumental run-up!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678175

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:48

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:48
Ah, it just so happens an episode of Airways last night featured exactly this, a non-flight from Launceston Airport to Sydney.

The flight was cancelled because.......another flight was late arriving and the aircrew required a rest break before flying again.
No arguments re the crew/passenger safety, but obviously Tiger's budget is that tight that no backup or replacement crew was available to staff the Launceston/Sydney flight that night.

We wouldn't choose Tiger Airways in a "flying fit", regardless of any cost savings.
We are more than happy with the reliability of Virgin or Qantas and budget their fares into any travel plans we make.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 407779

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:59

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:59
Mick

Sorry to hear that you got the big stuff around..

Do they really filll each plane to capacity ?
That's it, there really isn't too many planes, in the sky.... they do not take off till they have 150% people waiting, some happy many angry.
I would have thought that filling a plane to capacity, is the golden rule, and getting to the destination is as important.

I cannot help but wonder, if that show on TV is actually sponsored by JetStar, and it's big brother QANTUS

Budget airlines at it's best.. no consideration, no customer service, and counter staff, with a head full of policy's..an dobviously scared to loose their jobs..

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 407781

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:16

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:16
This is why both for work (retired now) and pleasure we flew only with the big Q and even then did not take the "specials". For an expensive flight its also worth thinking about travel insurance. Domestic as well. Not once in the last 23 years did we ever have any trouble. Join the clubs if you fly a lot. Great being able to walk straight on.

Fly cheap - you get cheap. Sorry but thats a fact of travel all over the world. All the airport shows show the same.

AnswerID: 407783

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:20

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:20
A bit of sympathy for the staff on the desk.

You try and dish out lousy service when you know its all you are allowed to give and know that you would hate to be in the shoes of the ones you are dishing it out to.

AnswerID: 407784

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:34
I am not questioning the accuracy of the posts, but my experience with Tiger does not support this. I have been using them almost since they started and before they were flying in Australia. Must have done around 20 flights with them in total. Only problem ever was a flight from Darwin to Singapore (when they did that route) that was about 3 hours late. At the time, the only Qantas flight Darwin/Singapore was abot $700. Tiger, a little less than $200. But their presence sure started to lead to a drop in prices ex Darwin for which I reckon everyone who lived in NT was very gratetful.
You do need to understand how they run the airline to keep prices at their levels, and you will find the details when you read the flight info. They don't have the range of staff available who can do lots of backup stuff at the airports if a schedule is disrupted. You must arrive at the airport earlier than other airlines and they close off flights earlier because their staff are needed elsewhere.
I totally disbelieve Bucky's statement that they hold planes on the ground until they are overfull with bookings, but they do have fewer routes and less backup planes available to bring in if there is a delay. Some of the problems aren't of their making. The silly terminal setup exit at Tullamarine was forced on them by other airlines.
No, I don't work for them and I regularly use other airlines as well. But I reckon the anti Tiger push is much over the top. Can't prove it (and certainly not suggesting it of the original post) but do wonder who promotes/gains from the whispering campaign.
AnswerID: 407787

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:19

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:19
I would suggest you have been lucky to date.

I would seriously doubt that Mick or others on here are involved in a "Whispering Campaign" and are just telling it as it is.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677708

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:26

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:26
I thought I had made it clear that I wasn't reflecting on the accuracy of statements in this thread. I was thinking more of the ongoing reports od people who turn up in the last half hour before a flight and don't get on. They clearly have not read the terms and conditions and warnings Tiger gives about their boarding proceedure. They seem to have more problems in Australia than they do overseas and I think this is because they have a very small level of both staff and aircraft here. In Singapore, they pretty well own Terminal 4 and it seems to go like clockwork. For what I pay for a flight with them, I wouldn't expect them to do all the back up if a flight is missed etc and if I was concerned, I would have taken appropriate insurance. On the plus side, Tiger and Air Asia have about the youngest fleets in the sky at a time when other aircraft fleets are diminishing
For what it's worth, absolutely the best service on a plane I have ever had was with Japan Airliines, closely followed by Qantas. And my worst ever was also with Qantas. I think people expect aircraft to have the regularity of a local bus service and this is asking a bit much. They are incredibly complex and the range of things that can cause a delay is never ending. While it may be frustrating, I get a bit philosophical about it I'm happy that we take off when they reckon it is OK to do so.
FollowupID: 677819

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:46

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:46
Well an update for you.

I wish'd I had watched airways but I've not seen an episode yet but yes, there is a lesson there I'm sure. SWMBO booked the tickets as we had to pay for her extended family.

We left in disgust at 1.30 a.m. having managed to hire a car and secure accomodation. Many people simply hired a car and then slept in it in the carpark their reasoning being that even a Hyundai's seats are more comfortable than a concrete airport floor.

Launceston Airport Corporation (the owners) then tried to close the terminal at about the time we were leaving forcing everyone, including the elderly, out into the rain and cold. Thankfully the local police politely requested that they keep it open for the safety and wellbeing of the stranded passengers.

Having to work today, I managed to secure a flight out at 0630 this morning on Virgin Blue leaving the family behind. Tiger have said they will fly them out on their flight tonight. Funny that there is no flight scheduled at present and that their standard flight is fully booked. I'm very concerned that there will be a repeat of the previous nights debarcle so I'm doing what I can from this end now and getting nothing from Tiger I might add.

Cheers Mick (The tired)

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407790

Follow Up By: George_M - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:20

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:20
We had a similar experience with a Tiger flight out of Sydney last November. THe filight was cancelled for our return trip to Melbourne. The next available flight for the three of us was THREE days later. When asked about the insurance, the comment was "you'll get your money back" - so the insurance was not worth the paper it was written on!

Still waiting for a refund after three months - they only offer a fax number for their operations centre at Gladstone Park. Couldn't get a fax through after automatically sending it for THREE days.

Finally got "the claim" form emailed to me after I called their resevations number just to speak with a real person, and refused to go away.

Still waiting, but NEVER AGAIN:-)

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677700

Reply By: 515 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:22

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:22
I also think the anti Tiger stuff is just that...stuff!
I regularly fly around Australia for both work and private. I always pick the cheapest flight as they are all the same..buses in the sky!

The airline that I find more regularly lets me down is Qantas.

Regards
AnswerID: 407801

Follow Up By:- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:54

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:54
Tiger's own website shows 76% departures on time performance. Not really 'sensational'.

The 'stuff' you refer to is apparently not 'stuff', even to Tiger.

It also appears you have been very fortunate with your tiger flights.

Good luck in the future..............
FollowupID: 677721

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:39

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:39
Mick,
I was talking to one of the taxi drivers here in Newcastle a few months back, he had picked me up from the airport from another airline. (Important piece of side information, Newcastle airport is 40 kilometres from the city in the middle of basically nowhere for a taxi)

His comment was the drivers are no longer going to the airport to meet a "scheduled" tiger flight as most times the plane just doesn't turn up. The driver is then left 40 kilometers from town without a fair and no real prospect of finding one!

There solution is to not bother until someone rings from the airport for a taxi.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 407821

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:28

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:28
Why fly on an airline that is willing to see it’s customer service, or lack thereof, broadcast on a weekly TV show? The ‘fee’ they must be paid for this show must be worth more than the bad publicity it generates. And I’m sure that there are unreasonable customers, but why on earth would you want to ‘air’ this on a television show….

And think about that for a moment, Tiger (presumably) are making money out of demonstrating poor customer service on a weekly television show…..absolutely absurd!

Maybe that speaks to some of their ethics – Caveat Emptor I say…..
AnswerID: 407838

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:44

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:44
Agreed, but maybe they live by the adage that "Any publicity is good publicity"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677718

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:05

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:05
Hi Landy, Just as a follow up re profit, for the Fy ended March 09 Tiger made a loss of A$42.2m which appears to have been dragged down by it Australian operations. Major shareholder (Singapore Airlines) stopped accounting for Tigers losses as they had outstripped its initial investment in the carrier. Source Australian Aviation Magazine March 2010.
FollowupID: 677839

Reply By:- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:42
""Well here we are having an exciting stop over at Launceston airport. Unfortunately we took advantage of cheap air flights on Tiger and I have to say , the experience has been appalling. After being constantly lied to for the past 8 hours, our flight was due to depart at 5:50pm this afternoon, the scene is one of anger and frustration with about 180 people about to riot. The local police have arrived. Despite numbers of elderly people, pregnant women and quite a few small kids, Tiger have not provided any consideration for their passengers whatsoever. Water has to be taken out of the taps in the toilet, there is no food available and Tiger won't take responsibility for your flights if you leave the airport.""

I have copied and pasted the above from Mick O's post. (Hope you don't mind Mick, but your tale is exactly as family told me).

The reason for this is because my daughter, son-in-law and two little ankle-biters (5y & 12mths) were booked on the same flight yesterday.
They rang me at midnight to book them a flight out today, which I was able to do with Virginblue. They are now about to drive in to their home.

They can accept they took a chance with cheap flights. They didn't mind some delay, BUT THEY WERE PRETTY CHEESED OFF THAT THERE WAS NO HONEST EXPLANATION FROM TIGER (pity for the poor staff).

Whilst they were on the tel to me I looked up the Tiger website, and there were 'no delays', and flight times were (at midnight) still unchanged.

The family: - I rang a mate in Launceston @ 12.15 am , who picked them up, gave them a bed and a feed and had them back at the airport this morning.

SEEMS A BL**DY GOOD IDEA TO HAVE MATES, BUT NOT CHEAP AIRLINES, but then the airlines will probably cause their own downfall by continuing with c**p service.

Oh, by the way the family wont fly Tiger again..............................
AnswerID: 407840

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:21

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:21
The liittle fellows name wasn't McKenzie by any chance was it? Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677752

Follow Up By:- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:49

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:49
You got it in one, Mick.

Hope he was behaving..............

Need the likes of him at Tiger !!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 677755

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:00

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:00
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 407858

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:09

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:09
I can assure you Quantas is no better - or Virgin.

ive seen Qantas just cancel flights at 10.00pm Virgin plabes delayed hours due to staff shortages

Jetstar passengers left trapped on a plane that had flown into perth for hours due to the Domestic terminal being shut

- its not just tiger.

My one experience with them saw me depart perth 5 min late but make the time up in the air and spot on time return trip
AnswerID: 407861

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:47

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 14:47
I’ve flown all the major and low cost airlines in Australia as well as more than a few of the regionals. I’ve had delays and cancellations with some of them over the years but the difference here is, there is no customer service what so ever. Jetstar, Qantas, Virgin Blue or Rex will generally (sometimes begrudgingly) will get you onto another carrier, provide accommodation and guarantee to get you out on the next available flight. Tiger however, even now, cannot tell us whether there is even a flight arriving at Launceston tonight. There are no Australian Based customer service options (all are routed to the Philippines), there are no regional based staff or contact numbers. There has been no communication by phone or text despite your contact details being a prerequisite of travel.

I’ve made three calls to the Tiger customer Service liner today in an effort to confirm that our booking number has been allocated seats on tonight’s possibly scheduled service. Here, in somewhat halting English were the three responses;

Response 1. – No you don’t have a seat as the flight is full already. Tiger will undertake to get you on the only daily flight sometime in the next SEVEN days or you can APPLY for a refund of your money. They will not pay any other reasonable costs such as alternative transport or accommodation.

Response 2 – There is no flight.

Response 3 – Yes you have a seat on that flight tonight but you’ll have to be at the airport 2 hours before and they’ll confirm it then. (I’m getting a feeling of déjà vu here!)

I’m sure many people have had a positive experience of Tiger and good luck to them. As far as the old adage “you get what you pay for”, I paid for a service. Something that a business advertised and promised to provide to me with. The matter is not the cost, it’s the simple fact that there was an expectation that a service would be provided rather than that business abrogated its responsibilities towards its paying customers. You cannot I would suggest, abandon 180 plus people to their fate in with a “Who gives a bleep ” attitude. Thankfully other passengers managed to get the 36 week pregnant woman a flight out on another carrier as did the 81 year old who sat in the terminal all night, Tiger making no effort to provide support, accommodation or even a taxi once they had opted onto another carrier. Tiger could not gaurentee a flight last night, only a turn up at 4.00 p.m. tomorrow and see what happens.

Being the eternal optimist, nine of us will line up with the hundreds of others tonight at 4.00 p.m. to see what transpires in respect to our 1750 flight (but not me as I’m already here and at work). I’ve also booked seats on the Spirit of Tasmania just is case (now they provided some real customer service).

Sure to be taking this one further, Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407862

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:16

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:16
You paid for a service from an airline and did not recieve it ? Wonders on this forum will never cease , Funny how when I posted about the same form of service about a airline provider at Derby on the 21/6/08 we were called everthing under the sun on this forum , You sure its not your fault Mick ? Did you do as I did 'actually pay for your trip' ,,,, 'did you actually confirm your booking , as we did' ,,, 'did you specify time, day and date of your flight as we did' ,, then , 'turn up on time ,on day and date and then not recieve the service' ,,,, Yep gotta love the forum.
FollowupID: 677774

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:27

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:27
yes quantas has exceptional customer service. if they dont fly they can put you an a jetstar flight with no hope of refunding the difference
i
FollowupID: 677780

Follow Up By: ob - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:44

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:44
At least they put you on an aircraft and not left stranded in the terminal
Have I had expereince with Tiger........once....never again
Maybe I have been just plain lucky but never had a drama with Qantas
ob
FollowupID: 677784

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:31

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:31
OB,

Tiger did nothing for me. I got my brother in Melbourne to scour the airline websites to find me a flight. Once I told them I had done that, they didn't want to know me or the 4 others who were still flying with them under our booking number.

I'm with you. Tiger... Not a protected species down this way! Never again.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677793

Follow Up By: ob - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:55

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 17:55
I hear you Mick, left stranded in Sydney because the connecting flight to Brisbane was called off. Not so much as a "may we call you a taxi"
Those seats in the lounge are not too bad for 1 or 2 hours but get very uncomfortable after 6 hours.
We got sick of a never ending stream of excuses and managed to get 2 seats on a Qantas flight when a cancellation came up.

As they say once bitten.....and Tigers can bite......

ob
FollowupID: 677810

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:32
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Off Topic Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 677843

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:03

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:03
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Off Topic Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 677877

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:55

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:55
Mick O , case your wondering ,reply 17 was not aimed at you or anyone else on this forum in any shape or form personally , twas a comment that you would be liable to recieve jumbo[as in big/many] comments stating that the buisness involved always knows best and in all likelyhood you as the customer somehow were in the wrong , LOL.
AnswerID: 407873

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:30

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:30
Rubbish, you always refer to a poster on here as Jumbo, why would you captialise the word otherwise? Arse covering thats all this post is.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678147

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42
Two words Bonz ,#ho# hum.
FollowupID: 678149

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:45

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:45
Thanx for that I thought so too.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678150

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:36

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:36
Sorry to hear your dramas Mick. Delays are simply a part of flying in machines that occasionally require unscheduled maintenance - the airlines don't delay you just for the sake of it. All the same (and one of the reasons they'll avoid delaying you if they can), as far as I understand, airlines do have certain requirements (and I believe they're legally binding - not just company policy) to provide a certain levels of care depending on the length of the delay. For short delays there is no requirement, but for delays of hours I understand they have to provide refreshments (or at least a voucher to assist in buying something at the airport cafés). As I understand, if there is an extended delay they are required to provide accommodation (as well as transport to/from the accommodation).

I've flown Business Class in Singapore Airlines and also in Tiger Airways and a number that would rank in between, and I'd have to say that Tiger seem to go out of their way, even in unimaginable ways, to make the experience feel very cheap - even to the point of the departure gate having less than 20 seats for the entire flight. They must have some very warped people in management!
AnswerID: 407916

Follow Up By: ChrisE - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:06

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:06
I have flown Jetstar about a dozen times, and only once had a plane breakdown, delaying us for three hours, from just before 6pm till about 9:30 in the end, but they gave us meal vouchers and tried to keep us up to date in that they were trying to get the plane fixed, before getting another to replace it, a pain in the backside waiting around, but wasn't the end of the world as we got a feed and weren't on a tight schedule.

It goes to show that it's only a small difference, like a meal voucher and being kept uptodate with information, can turn a similar experience from "never fly with them again" to "pain in the but, but not the end of the world and will fly with them again".

I have booked the last flight out of Melbourne this Thursday with Tiger, my first time flying with them and now I read this after seeing the show the other night for the first time as well........mmmm....I think I might try to get on an earlier flight, so I don't mind if I get delayed to the last one....
FollowupID: 677922

Reply By: palais - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:35

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:35
I was just reading the blog of another guy who was having some Tiger problems.
Jason Chatfield
It's pretty long, and a bit blue in areas, but you just have to feel for anyone who is just abandoned like that when you have done all the right things.

I mostly fly Virgin - because it's generally the cheapest where I need to go. Not really any horror stories *touch wood*. Skywest over in WA is also pretty good.

This might cheer you up: Louis CK - everything's amazing and nobody's happy.

OK. Maybe not.
AnswerID: 407965

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:48

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:48
The end of the saga.

Tiger picked up all those stranded or remaining (130 or thereabouts) at Launceston at 8.15 p.m. last night. It was a separate flight to their normal daily service. Even that flight was over 2.5 hours late.

Now we’ll see how our claims go.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 408067

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:26

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:26
Tasmania is a nice place to live Mick, did you start looking at real estate while you were there?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678146

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:53

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:53
Mick,

Virgin has just had a plane delayed due to mechanical issues in Sydney (Sydney to Brisbane 9am flight). SWMBO has now missed the connecting Bus and is now trying to sort out a new schedule. Hopefully she will be able to get the 1:20pm bus from Brisbane Airport to Toowoomba where I'll pick her up. Just need to sort out what to do with the kids now :( Had it planned that the kids would be in School and Kindy, But that isn't going to work now.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408344

Follow Up By: grapeandgrain - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:03

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:03
Hey Mick,

I can certainly appreciate all your frustration with Tiger Airways, I was also sitting in the Launceston terminal - without the comfort of a lap top to blog the blues away. You forgot one small piece of information - Melbourne had been hit with an enormous storm - the whole place was in chaos - flights that did get through were diverted to Adelaide etc

I agree Tiger could have communicated a hell of a lot better, but I'm not going to blame them for one of the worst storms in Melbourne's history.

I did receive $120 payment on my hotel room - not bad considering the flight cost me $28.

The behaviour I witnessed in the Launceston terminal was appalling. It wasn't Haiti people - you were delayed in Australia and I'm sure you're all okay.

I will continue to fly with Tiger. 14 flights and 2 delays - (one due to the catastrophic storm as mentioned). I could otherwise never have afforded to see my dying Nana so many times last year.

All of you whingers who can afford to fly with another airline - SHOULD.
FollowupID: 678719

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:43

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:43
I sense a troll here??

The big storm you mention was on Saturday afternoon not Sunday.
Sunday suffered some heavy rain but not like what occurred on Saturday.
It was also a fast moving localised cell which moved through very quickly and would have meant minimal disruption to air travel.

Seems that the other airlines had no problems dealing with the weather and ensuring they looked after there passengers in a respectable way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678727

Follow Up By: grapeandgrain - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 16:59

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 16:59
Whoa - even my husband doesn't call me a troll.

From memory the other 2 airlines were heavily delayed but did fly out eventually. I didn't expect "looking after" for $28 - I expected them to get me back to Melbourne, which they eventually did. There were lots of disruptions to air travel Saturday and Sunday, maybe us trolls are more in tune with weather?

Happy Flying. At least there's choice amongst the airlines now and you wont have to sit next to me on a Tiger flight. ;)
FollowupID: 678737

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 17:21

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 17:21
"At least there's choice amongst the airlines now and you wont have to sit next to me on a Tiger flight"

Yes for the moment, but given the losses being incurred by Tiger and the poor service as detailed by others in this thread, I wouldn't hold my breath about the operation remaining.

Its telling of the management attitude (or lack there off) If the airline can't be truthful and upfront with its customers at the coal face.
I guess the weather excuse was an easy one to roll off the tongue by Tiger to cover the other more chronic issues within the business.

By the way 2 out of 14 flights adds up to almost a 20 percent failure rate in service, Good luck.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678744

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:58

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 14:58
Funny isn't it, if the OP was complaining about a cheap generator, all the response he would get is ..... "Well, you get what you pay for!"
AnswerID: 408778

Sponsored Links