Old Andado

Hello, I'm thinking of taking the NT 3.2L turbo diesel auto Pajero LWB from Mt Dare (diesel pick up) to Alice Springs via the Old Andado track. I have 88litres capacity in the tank.

Will only be packing about 2300kg of other people and "stuff" inside and on roof rack (not the kids - unless they muck up).Can I make it in June when track should be dry ? Don't really want to be packing jerry cans of diesel on the rack. Would luv to hear of anyone's tales of this track ie blown tyres, misadventures or "no problem" stories too. Thanks Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:00

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:00
2300kgs of people and "stuff". Gee...you travel light. Could I suggest leaving the dishwasher and spa bath at home.
AnswerID: 408945

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:02

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:02
Hi Greg

There are Trek notes on this trip, which shows fuel consumption for various engine configurations. Just click on the link you have automatically created in your thread (or just look in Treks).

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 408946

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:56

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 17:56
Hi Greg

The Andado track ,which is now part of the Bins Track is only about 450 ks between Mt Dare and Alice The first section between Mt Dare and Andado has about 20 ks of heavy bulldust , and I mean heavy. Late last year this section took me about three hours. If you visit Mac Clarkes conservation area, which is well worth the diversion this will add a few more ks to the total. I would certainly be carrying a jerry or two of fuel.
Stop and see Old Andado. This is VERY remote country and you need to be self sufficient and have effective communicationsHF or Satphone.
Talk to Jeff or Dave at Mt Dare. They will give you all the latest on this route.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 408957

Reply By: blue one - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 19:03

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 19:03
Greg,
The track is easy in the dry (forget it if it hasn't dried out). Steer clear of the bulldust as there are holes where the stock have been rutting that will need a crane to get you out if you fall into one.

The missus and I did it 2 years ago and it was a very pleasant drive with no one around. We even had Old Andado to ourselves for 2 days.

It is remote, so yes take two jerry cans of extra fuel, comms that can be used in remote locations (HF or Sat phone) and a EPIRB to be safe. Have some fun as I did and Mac Clark reserve is worth a visit.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 408971

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 19:39

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 19:39
Hi Greg
You will have no problems at all, as it is a great easy track when dry. Ant chance of rain, then head for the Stuart Highway. As easy as it is, I would not rush it and make it a two day trip. Check out my trek notes here on EO that I did years ago.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408976

Reply By: Dean - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:06

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:06
We, 2 adults/2kids went from Mt. Dare to AS last July in a 3.5 V6 petrol paj. You should have no trouble with fuel if you have a diesel, once you get through the bulldust its easy going. We were still almost fully loaded from our Simpson crossing.
As mentioned there are some big holes just out of MD, however there are bypass tracks around the bigger ones. Our long range tank scraped several times in them.
The drive is excellent with ever changing scenery and plenty of good camping spots along the way as well as Old Andado.
It took us about 10 hours driving time.
Dean
AnswerID: 409094

Follow Up By: Gora - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 16:29

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 16:29
So, are you allowed to camp along the Andado Track anywhere except the Station?

I am headed out there in a few weeks and would prefer to bush camp if allowable.

Cheers
TC
FollowupID: 682401

Sponsored Links