Hema Navigator 5"

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 16:55
ThreadID: 77064 Views:4642 Replies:10 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone else have one of these? Are you having the same troubles?

After my initial review in the shop (should of waited and used it a bit more) I have since changed my tune when it comes to this thing.

Route 66 is absolute garbage, I changed it from quickest to shortest route and it still takes me the long way. For anyone who knows Adelaide an example of this is going from Hillbank to Glenelg the unit took me down main Nth rd -> right Fitzroy Tce -> West Terrace onto Anzac Hwy. You couldn't go more out of the way if you tried! If going the way that I know is much quicker it try's to get me to do U turns the whole time. With my old Garmin at least it would acknowledge that you are wanting to take a different arterial and recalculate it's route to suit. It also took me down a dead end street!! Hema would do very well to dump Route 66 on any future models as I will never buy anything that uses it again!

The time will not stay on what I set it to. I am guessing it will not allow for daylight saving time?? No matter how many times I set it to the correct time it changes back to being an hour slow.

The other thing that I have been unable to resolve is the fact that when track plots are downloaded to the unit on OziExplorer it only recognises half the track!

Will be ringing ARB tomorrow to find out if they will exchange it, I hope so as it was an expensive mistake if they wont. It was bought mainly for work (service tradie) with the view to be able to use it offroad as well.

Extremely disappointed with the Hema.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 17:56

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 17:56
Hi Leon,

I have one.
I am not exactly a fan of Route 66 either but I didn't buy it for City navigation.
I have a Tomtom Go 720 for that and nothing else comes close.
All city navigation devices may not recognise dead end streets or other road changes unless they are kept up to date and that is one of the reasons I like Tomtom, as you can continually check for and download updates. (free on my unit)
I have done some comparison running both at the same time and the results were similar on the few times I tested it, but I don't use Route 66 and cant vouch for its accuracy, or lack there of

As far as OziExplorer is concerned, Hema is the same as the version I ran on my PDA and I have no problems with it at all. It provides a larger display which along with a built-in GPS is what I purchased the unit for.

With the time setting, you are absolutely right. The time shows an hour behind what it should be even with the Time Zone set to GMT+09.30
I set the correct time and within a short period of time it had changed back.
This definitely needs resolution by Hema.

Unfortunately, if you require a unit for both city and off road navigation, you have limited choices.
Hema Navigator or Garmin Nuvi.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 409792

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:23

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:23
"Unfortunately, if you require a unit for both city and off road navigation, you have limited choices.
Hema Navigator or Garmin Nuvi. "

Not true - heap of PDAs can run street Nav software and OziCE. Magellan's Crossover probably also fits the bill, then there is the TwoNav Aventura. Lots of people also use no name "chinese" PNDs available on internet auction sites. Most Garmin and Magellan handhelds also can be used for both purposes, with limitations i.e. smaller screen, no voice instructions. The HN and Nuvis are however probably the pick of the bunch but certainly not the only choices.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 679719

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:25

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:25
PS - you can also unlock Tom Toms, NavMans and Mios to run OziExplorerCe and original street nav software.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679721

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:28

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:28
Greg,

Perhaps I should have quantified my statement more.

A device running Oziexplorer (more open) or one running Garmin programs (restricted to Garmins) are the two most popular choices.

Yes you can run Navigation software on PDA's but this usually requires a reasonable amount of knowledge on how devices integrate with application software.
They are not ready to go out of the box like Garmin and Hema are.

Not many city navigation software applications are available for separate purchase anymore.
Next to Tomtom, the next best I found was CoPilot but unfortunately this is no longer going to be kept up to date and so is not a real choice.

As far as "unlocking a Tomtom to be able to run OziExplorer", tell me more, I would be most interested.

Greg, the majority of people require a "turn key" solution, one that works and works well out of the box.
I use the Hema Navigator to run OziExplorer, with a good sized screen.
Most other people would also like a city navigation application but there are two "problems" with the Hema Navigator.

1. Route 66 is not all that good when I compare it to both Tomtom and Copilot 7 which I have on a PDA.

2. You cannot run both off road navigation such as OziExplorer and city navigation applications (such as Route 66) at the same time, which is a fair restriction when your driving across the country then come to a sizeable town where you need to navigate around it.

I'm sure you have as much, or possibly more experience with these applications than I do.
What I'm attempting to communicate with the general population is that a single device does not necessarily give you a total solution and few of them are ready to use out of the box.

I'm not familiar with the Garmin product and Doug will no doubt expand on its capabilities, but data from it is still restricted to other Garmin devices.
OziExplorer is the "default" standard for file sharing on this site and is more "open" with the various devices Ozi will run on.

Any information you have on unlocking Tomtom to be able to run OziExplorer and other applications such as GPSGate (to enable multiple apps to run concurrently) plus recognise digital mapping software would be most welcomed.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 679891

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:07

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:07
Hi
Re TomTom -

ttMaps - Display raster maps on TomTom GPS

Agree - plug and play units are better for some people ...I was just pointing out there are other options that may suit others.

Also - GPX format is the universal format compatible with many gps mapping applications these days and you can download the treks and waypoints available here in that format. This file format can be opened/imported/exported by OziExplorer, Mapsource (including Garmin’s latest range of GPS units eg Nuvis, Oregons, Dakotas), Magellan’s VantagePoint and GlobalMapper to name a few examples. OziExplorer format is OK (if you have OziExplorer) but generally needs to be converted for use in other programs.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679899

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:16

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:16
PS I made a mistake when I said you could unlock TomToms to run OziExplorerCe - should have said "you can unlock Tom Toms, NavMans and Mios to run OziExplorerCe or similar"

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679900

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:14

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 18:14
"The other thing that I have been unable to resolve is the fact that when track plots are downloaded to the unit on OziExplorer it only recognises half the track!"

I assume you mean that when you load a track from another source into OziCE on the HN5 only part of the track is displayed? Is this a correct interpretation of you comment?

There are two ways to load a track into OziExplorerCe – one is using FILE - TRACK LOG – IMPORT TRACK TAIL FROM FILE. The “track tail” has a limit of 1000 points so using this method will crop a track (if it is more than 1000 points). This is not a limitation of the HN5 but of OziExporerCe.

To load an entire track you must use the Track Toolbar. Select VIEW – TOOLBARS – TRACK TOOLBAR. This loads the track toolbar – then select the track list icon (5th from left). Select a track position (1 to 5) then select LOAD – select the track you want to load. The entire track should load (not sure of the point limit on this one but well above 1000).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 409793

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 22:58

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 22:58
Yes that is a correct interpretation Explorer, I tried to load the dares Hill trek and also the Gawler Ranges trek and both had the same problem, chopped off the first third of the track.

I would try what you have mentioned but it's all back in its box ready to be exchanged.
FollowupID: 679793

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 00:30

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 00:30
No worries - as suggested, issue it with OziCe not the HN5 so if you get another device running OziCe try alternative methods for loading tracks.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679810

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 19:32

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 19:32
Have just about decided to get one myself (don't want to wrestle with small PC's in the car), but urban navigation is not my main need (just as well it seems). The global navigation company Route 66 are based in Shanghai as I recall - they get their navigation data from Navteq - Hema indicate on their FAQ page that any problematic issues with Route 66 are out of their control (could they be claiming no responsibility as well ? Hardly, after taking all that dosh off you). Simply put, if it doesn't do what you have paid for (more importantly, what Hema say it will do), you are entitled to a refund.

To take another stance on it...... you know where you are going in greater Adelaide it seems - for a tourist who doesn't have a clue where to go, the route you describe from the outer northern suburbs to Glenelg seems not to be a bad one (just not the best one). A hesitant visitor (like me, when I drive in Melbourne) might be entirely happy with that route, first time through. I did see in a touring magazine somewhere this week that Route 66 is far from the best urban navigator for Australia - there are much better, much cheaper options around (as Sandy and others have mentioned).
AnswerID: 409809

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 21:09

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 21:09
Hi Leon
I am getting one soon, but not as a city navigator. Most people that I have talked to that have the older 4.3 model have purchased it for outback and remote area travels, where they have worked faultlessly.

Hope things are sorted out for you easily.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 409834

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 22:55

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 22:55
Leon

I now have a 5' model. It is set on Queensland time and works OK. Though I live in NSW all my electronic devices are kept on Eastern Standard Time and that works for me. I can see that my approach may not work in South Australia or Northern Territory.

Re Route 66 your issues seem similar to what I experienced when set to "fastest". I found "fastest" would do many weird things like turn south on major highway when destination is north. All I can suggest is to double check that it is on shortest and not still on fastest.

Shortest is not without some issues, mainly zig zagging through streets but is bearable.

I got a Hema for OziExplorer and that program works well.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 409851

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:04
I'm looking to exchange for the vms unit as have read that igo8 is a much better street navigator. In my occupation route 66 is basically useless unless I get into the area I need to be, even then it takers me down a dead end street that has always been a dead end street!!

I was pretty excited by it to start off with but now just have that feeling that I have wasted a large amount of money on something that is second rate.
FollowupID: 679795

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:07

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 23:07
Oh also what you said about turning south to go north has happened on nearly everytime I have tried to navigate somewhere. I was in Cudlee Creek and it wanted me to go back to the freeway to go to Edinburgh Park.
FollowupID: 679796

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:41

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:41
I'm not going to say a thing ...........................................
..................................................................................

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 409854

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:01

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:01
You just did say 'something' Doug.... lol... (:

" I'm not going to say a thing ........................................... "'
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679824

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:17

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:17
As mentioned earlier a 4.3 or 7" no name purchased from ebay will do all that the Hema will for less than half the cost and most have Igo installed as the turn by turn street nav program.
I've been running one for several years now on a few outback trips and it has performed flawlessly, never fallen over or locked up, all for $230 as I already had Ozice and the maps from using PDA's which were a right PITA to use never mind all the cables.
AnswerID: 409865

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:18

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:18
I have a Garmin Nuvi that picks some very strange routes to say the least, I have come to realise that it is mistake to use a GPS in areas that you are very familiar with, as they don't know the shortcuts that we get used to, & it causes you to lose confidence in them.
I will add, that it has never failed to get me to my destination.
AnswerID: 409871

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 16:47

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 16:47
Yes my Nuvi never took me down a dead end street, would of kept it but it was unable to log waypoints and tracks etc. When I seen that the Hema was a on/offroad unit I thought bewdy only to be let down oh well lesson learnt!!
FollowupID: 679865

Reply By: Member - Glenys & Ken Taree - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:13
$1,000 for a Hema Navigator and the Route 66 navigation is not just crap it really is faulty and should not be accepted by Hema.
Quickest route from Broken Hill to Port Augusta set, it wanted to take us left down to Ceduna, across to Adelaide, then up to Port Augusta. ie: 994ks for the quickest Route. Shortest route then showed 415ks straight across.
Set a route from Esperance, (it would not recognise Orleans Bay so I set Condingup) which was straight across a tarred road. It wanted to go left on every dirt track, kept screaming turn around, kept re-calculating new dirt tracks and never re-calculated to the obvious route. Tried both Quickest and Shortest. Same on the way back to Esperance.
It also will never calculate the time remaining for the journey. ie: 28ks - it insists will take over an hour to destination.
We now cannot use it!! It's no joke, when towing a large van, you are constantly advised to turn into every dirt track and dead end and then must resort to using the Hema Atlas and find your own route.
Glenys
AnswerID: 411922

Follow Up By: Member - Glenys & Ken Taree - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:19

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:19
PS: I would probably keep the Navigator if it was possible to replace the Route 66 software with Tom Tom. Can anyone advise?
FollowupID: 681926

Follow Up By: Member - Leon A (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:50

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:50
I swapped mine for the VMS touring and couldn't be happier. Has the offroad stuff I wanted with a decent street nav as well.
FollowupID: 681983

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:23

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 10:23
Over the weekend I setup a "no name" 5" GPS unit for a friend. He got it from ebay for $179. It comes with iGO. It accepts SDHC cards up to 8Gb. It also has as etup menu that allows you to easily change the navigation program. He bought the Hema maps DVD (from the EO shop) and we then used it for the wekeend drives around Mansfield.

All up cost is easily less than half the Hema navigator cost.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 411924

Sponsored Links