Another bog

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:22
ThreadID: 77654 Views:2704 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundReading a thread about getting bogged from Stephen L I thought I would share a similar story, We took off from Sydney Good Friday cruised up to Dubbo stopping at Lucknow for Ugg Boots and Orange to visit an old neighbour who has moved up there then on to a friends property near Narromine.
Driving along the track you could not really tell that below about 100mm of crusty dry dirt that below was what I would describe as a soup mix of mud and slush.
After a few attempts at snatching out with B.I.L 3.0l Hilux we soon called the homestead for help and within 20 mins a Tractor quite easily pulled the cruiser and camper out of the holeImage Could Not Be Found.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:48

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:48
I have been there

Cheers
AnswerID: 412589

Reply By: warfer69 - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:58

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:58
Hiya Michael

That track your on in the second pic looks to me as if the dirt has been shifted,Was there a telecom wire inserted along there ?????? or something similar....Or was it a sign someone else had been bogged there beforehand lol...
In hindsight could you hav gone around to the left of that bad patch with that load ????

Good to see you got out without to much trouble..
AnswerID: 412591

Follow Up By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:13

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:13
I think the second photo was after one attempt of snatching backwards my wife took these photos.
The ground looked firm and dry and I was following a hilux which had two quad bikes in so he was fairly well loaded as well.
FollowupID: 682660

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 16:18

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 16:18
Reminds me of the Soil in the Gulf Country around Normanton after a few weeks of rain.

You drive over it quick and you float on top - Stop and you are finished. The other problem is if you backtrack in the same wheel tracks. The first time over breaks the crust, if you return you go down and you can winch away all day and it will never get back up on the crust.

We had the Army up there once when some of the fools decided to take a new 4x4 truck out along the Town Common Karumba Pipeline Road just after the 90/91 floods. Well down it went 15km from town. What did these fools do.

Well they then called in the 6wd Truck with massive ground clearance and winch. 3 days later both trucks finally made it out, the damage to the track immense. Whats worse they also sunk so much they damaged the pipeline in quite a few places. The last stretch across the flats they had both trucks hooked up to a massive & very long cable to which was a dozer and grader attached.

Bet you those boys got in heaps of trouble :-)

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 412655

Sponsored Links