D-MAX/Current Model Diesel Colorado Fuel Consumption

Submitted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 07:15
ThreadID: 78122 Views:4608 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Guys, specific question aimed at the above vehicle owners. In planning the July trip
one of the challenges I am facing is fuel/distance calculation. I have done quite a few trips of varying length but none with the amount of gear I will have for the month in July.

Can anyone tell me what sort of fuel figures you were getting fully loaded on an extended remote area trip, specifically areas like the Gibson/Great Sandy deserts or even the Simpson please.

Cheers, Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 10:22

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 10:22
Hi Tony,

I have just completed a long weekend trip to the Flinders Ranges, carrying the Oztent on the roof at the side of a roof rack basket. The basket contained 40 litres of water and two bags of firewood and the rest of the vehicle was well loaded with camping gear. Average speed was around 90-100 kph.

My average fuel consumption in the turbo diesel was 9.4l/100km as displayed by the trip computer, standard on the LT/R model I own.
Some of this trek was slow going over part of the Skytrek route and a return trip via the Brachina and Bunyeroo Gorges so I am very happy with this consumption.

I don't believe fuel consumption will change significantly over longer trips, although I have yet to compare it to towing the camper trailer.

My fuel consumption in the city, commuting to work in peak hour traffic showed 11.1l/100km before I reset it prior to the trip. This figure averaged out over the 10,000 kilometres I have done since buying the vehicle as I only discovered by accident I could reset it.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414951

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 07:58

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Sand Man, thanks for the info. Bog standard out of the dealer i was getting 8Lt per 100Km around town, i travel across the traffic and work shift work so traffic is always Sydney "medium". Since putting the larger tyres on plus the heavy duty suspension, long range tank, shelves, fridge and other permanent fixtures that has deteriorated to between 9 and 9.5 Lt per 100Km depending on which shift i am on for the week. With some careful monitoring and exact measurements the average fuel consumption figure given by the readout is .2 Lt per 100Km less than actual.

With this in mind, the trip i am planning is going to see a month of fully loaded travel across some pretty rough tracks, a lot of 4wd and some low range as well i suspect. i can only imagine this will have quite an affect on fuel consumption and given past performance, i am expecting to use up to as much as 15Lt per 100Km.

One of the things i do love about this vehicle is the information given on the dash as far as fuel consumption data goes and the range of choices you have on readout. A very handy addition indeed.
FollowupID: 685244

Reply By: Fab72 - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 09:53

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 09:53
And here I was thinking that you were asking how far a D/Max could go on one tank of diesel while towing a boat.....LOL.
Win a D-Max and a boat
AnswerID: 415081

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 20:12

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 20:12
I got a phone call from a mate a couple of nights ago. I could hardly understand what they were saying until mumbled he had won the car and boat. I guessed 2kms different to him. There were 33,000 entries and 12 people guessed the exacted kms. All 12 were put into a hat and my mates name was pulled out. At first they thought it was a joke but they have now been to the dealer for a test drive. Hand over is in June I think they said.

Josh
FollowupID: 685320

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 06:46

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 06:46
lol Fab72, i was way ahead of you, entered that weeks ago :-)

Well done to your mate Josh, i am sure he will love it. pity it wasnt 4x4 ;-)
FollowupID: 685351

Sponsored Links