Good camping/caravaning around tamworth Gunnedah Nundle

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2010 at 16:05
ThreadID: 78536 Views:5503 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Traveling back to Sydney from Goondiwindi & looking to spend a few days with our jayco camper trailer around Tamworth/Gunnedah.. Anyone know of a good free camp or caravan park.. Looking at the camps5 book shows quiet a few spots around nundle...
Any advise appreciated ..

Thxs Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 16:42

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 16:42
Hi Don,
We have found good camping at Chaffey Dam and also at Apsley Falls east of Walcha.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417018

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:08

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:08
Unless you have already been there ....

The better spots IMHO are a bit further north.

Gwydir River at Bingara

The Horton Falls west of Barrabara on the east side of Mt Kaputar .... or Split Rock Resevoir to the SE of Barraba.

More towards Gunnedah is Lake Keepit.

Chaffee is supposed to be good but I normally avoid Tamworth so dont know that area.
AnswerID: 417022

Reply By: carlsp - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:12

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:12
Chaffey Dam is the best. In fact apart from Corella Dam near Mt Isa, I think it is one of the best camps in Australia. It is $2.50 a night but this is nothing. (Honesty box at the gate) Showers are cold but just tell the family "to suck it up.". Best place to shop is Tamworth for groceries before you go.

Nundle is great for a walk and coffee. I sit outside the pub and admire those retired blokes, that are allowed to have a Harley. They all seem to ride through town.

They have a" firewood delivery service" as well. Just get up early and scout the shoreline for the nights offerings. If you need more just head south along the lake and go through the closed gate. Plenty on the far side by the lake.

The dam has cell phone coverage as well.

AnswerID: 417031

Reply By: ss--ss - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:27

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:27
Thanks guys , Think I'll give Chaffey Dam a go
AnswerID: 417041

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:32

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:32
Chaffey Dam is a lovely spot. My aunty lives nearby at Dungowan and I have been out to Chaffey but have not stayed there yet but we are definitely going to. There is fuel available at Woolomin as well as most things you want including a brilliant hamburger or further on is Nundle which is a pretty little town.

Apsley Falls is another great spot but there is an honesty box there and I think it is $5.00 per night per person. Fantastic flushing toilet facilities but no showers.
Paved areas around the fire places and tables as well. firewood is also supplied.
Well set up and worth the 5 dollars per head per night.
The gorge at the falls is a fantastic site and well worth a photograph especially if it has been raining previous to your visit.

Can recommend both areas without hesitation.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417042

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:01

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:01
Sheeba Dam 10km up the hill from Nundle is magnificent and quieter, it would be my favourite, however expect near zero temperatures early in the morning, Chaffey would be 2-4C warmer.
Nundle is worth a least half day at least (plus drove up the top to Sheeba Dam).

Camping alongside the Gwydir River at Bingara is very good, but only a couple of hours from Goondi and nothing wrong with the CP at Keepit either. River through Barraba has dried up at the moment.
AnswerID: 417061

Follow Up By: Flynnie - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 22:20

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 22:20
Sheeba Dams likely a bit below zero now overnight. It was below zero at Easter and it is a bit cooler now. No drama if you are prepared for that. It is a top spot.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 687179

Follow Up By: carlsp - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 08:22

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 08:22
Mark and Flynnie are correct about the cold and Sheeba Dam area is covered with trees, so it will take a while to warm. You did not mention what type of caravan or tow vehicle.

The climb up the hill is very steep and may cause some concern to some vehicles. We towed with a LC200TD and that spat the dummy when the exhaust temp sensor tripped.
FollowupID: 687198

Follow Up By: carlsp - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 08:24

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 08:24
Than hamburger shop next to the playground in Nundle is great and a great spot for lunch. You can sit outside under the trees at the tables.
FollowupID: 687200

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 09:50

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 09:50
Went to stay at Sheba Dam 6 months ago....wasn't a fan of the place.....not much flat area....too much shade ( although would be good in summer )...

We stayed at Travellers Rest ( sth of town heading towards Crawley Pass ).....more bush style camping I felt ( and quieter )

If you don't mind a caravan park, the park in Nundle itself is excellent....lots of open area down the back for normal type camping !!

Nice camping at the park beside the river at Wallabadah !!
AnswerID: 417119

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 17:50

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 17:50
nice little pub and meals at wallabadah
FollowupID: 687271

Sponsored Links