Oodnadatta to-Alice via andado

Taking 2 x 11 yr old girls and missus up the Andado (Pajero). Will leave Ood'ta early Sunday the 4th July and need to be in the Alice late arvo' the 8th - that's 5 days.

Any opinions on an itinery and stop overs (times) that would be good for kids ? i.e a day around Dalhousie or Old Andado homestead, Mac Clarke. What's Santa Theresa all about ? It shows diesel and campsites but cannot see much about it ?

Would Santa Theresa to Trephina Gorge be a good day drive, camp overnight a
and then head back into Alice the next day be good value ?

Not sure if we want to spend much more than four hrs per day travelling but obviously can if worth it ? (after all, we will have driven 12 hrs Syd to Broken Hill - though it's only back top of course).

Thanks for your thoughts, Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:05

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:05
In brief :-o)...........
Roads around Dalhousie - check with locals prior (Mt Dare for example - some closures in place).
This is what Santa T is all about....
Santa Teresa Mission
Trephina is a nice place - Arltunga area too.
AnswerID: 418553

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:14

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:14
We took 3 days to get from Coober Pedy to Alice. Arrived late - should have stayed xtra night on the track. So I think 3 days from Ood - Alice with good track conditions and no diversion out to Dalhousie. So 5 days with Dalhousie may be ok but be sure conditions / vehicle / tyres are good. Personally, I hate deadlines with off-road trips and to a point they can be hazardous if you end up pushing things too much.

Mac Clark, Andado homestead worth a stop. Sorry to say Santa Teresa was covered in rubbish when we went past in 08.

Suggest you leave Trephina Gorge, Glenn Annie etc for another trip - just my thoughts.

Cheers
AnswerID: 418556

Follow Up By: Member - Greg S (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:47

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:47
Agree time schedules are a pain, but with school etc and booking cabins and tours here and there, unfortunately planning is the only way. When ankle biters grown we will meander then. Thought I might leave S Teresa alone and you might have convinced me. Thanks v much
FollowupID: 688670

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:19

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 16:19
Hi Greg,

Bear in mind that currently the track through Hamilton to Dalhousie is closed, but could be a different story come July. Also the Binns Track north of Mt Dare has been heavily used by mining vehicles and can have a lot of bulldust. Its a great drive nevertheless, but slow.

If the track from Hamilton is open you will want to overnight at Dalhousie, having spent a while looking around the old homestead site, then having a swim. Another overnight at Old Andado, looking around Molly Clark's homestead and having a hot shower. It's then worthwhile going out to the Mac Clarke reserve and seeing the desert oaks; from there suggest you continue north approaching Alice via Santa Theresa which you will bypass as its a closed community. You would be able to find a bush camp somewhat south of ST - I dont know about a track from there to Trephina Gorge (yes I can see one on the map but dont know that its a public access track.)

Did this trip a couple of years ago with friends who had a 9yo grandaughter with them - she loved it.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418558

Follow Up By: Member - Greg S (NSW) - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:51

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:51
Thanks Val, the hot shower will go down well (in July) with my lady passengers - guess I won't mind one either, regards Greg
FollowupID: 688671

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 18:09

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 18:09
The girls will have fun lighting the donkey boiler first!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 688674

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:53

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 22:53
Hi Val
You are so right! Our grand daughter loved it so much she doesn't seem to have forgotten a moment of the trip. Here she is loving the idea that this is a baby tree (an Acacia Peuce) that will take many, many years to reach the adult size of its neighbours. And of course, here is a photo of her and a sand dune!
Would recommend all the places you mentioned and Greg - the girls might love to be involved in planning and preparing the meals.

MeganImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 688714

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:19

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 08:19
Hi Megan,

Great photos. My head must have been elsewhere when I referred to Acacia peuce as Desert oaks - wow!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 688737

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:25

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:25
Gday,
Do you realise Santa Teresa is only about 80km from Alice and there is a good road between them?
I would head into Alice from ST and then do a day trip out along the Eastern Macs.
I wouldn't plan on spending any time at Santa Teresa..........Its just a blackfella community......not a real bad one but not exactly a tourist destination either.

Cheers
AnswerID: 418643

Sponsored Links