Broome caravan parks which is best

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:39
ThreadID: 79215 Views:3300 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all,
We have made our way from Brisbane to Kunnunurra, and stayed at both some really great free camps and paid caravan parks. Daly Waters Pub was a great experience and Catherine Gorge fabulous.
We are going on to Broome in 10 days and wondered if any of you can advise on which caravan park in Broome you would recommend.
Regards

Poppa Ross & Pam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:50

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 09:50
Hi Ross and Pam

Thread 78819 (seehere) covered this pretty well.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420267

Follow Up By: Poppa Ross - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:19

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:19
Thanks Val,
All those reports we most helpful.
Regards

Poppa Ross
FollowupID: 690446

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:00

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:00
Well in the season, like now I cannot recommend Cable Beach as its big, crowded, has a disorganised office and the amenities were not as clean as they could be.

Traffic in the camp started as early as 3.30am some days with people going fishing according to the tides.

The thread mentioned gives a good idea but prebooking is advisable, if anyone will take one.

AnswerID: 420270

Follow Up By: Poppa Ross - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:21

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:21
Thanks Graham H,

We were tossing up between Cable Beach and Roebuck Bay, sounds like Roebuck Bay might be quieter.

Regards

Poppa Ross
FollowupID: 690447

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:32

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:32
Yes well we went around to Roebuck Bay and it is a very open camp and hence security is not so good but its right in town but handy to everything.

The Palm Grove is pretty good by all acounts .

Our friends stayed at Tarangau and quite liked it It is at the opposite end of the road that Cable Beach Park is on.

FollowupID: 690448

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:28

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:28
Hi there. If you play your cards right, you can split your time between Derby (Kimberly Entrance CP) and Port Smith, and avoid Broome altogether. Way to go!!
AnswerID: 420294

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 17:38

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 17:38
Only if you are immune to mossies I believe they eat the large people on the spot at Port Smith and carry the smaller ones away for later.

LOL
FollowupID: 690492

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:32
Hi

As Graham (QLD) has said Palm Grove is the best!! we stayed there Dec/Jan 09/10. Make sure you get a pizza at Lustre Bar and Grill - they are the best we have eaten Ever!!!

Cheers
Caz
AnswerID: 420308

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:37

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 13:37
hi
it s not actually a case of which is best but
whether you can even get into one at this time of the year in broome
as it's peak tourist season right now
so good luck
cheers
AnswerID: 420309

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:18

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:18
Yep, first round of the Broome races last weekend which would be the unofficial start of the season. There must have been 60 cars left in the carpark on Sunday morning which is good as it means those that had over done it did not drive.
I think another two weeks and it will be full on which then leads into the school holidays.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 690469

Reply By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:09

Thursday, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:09
Hi Ross & Pam, As others have said, both in this and previous posts, Palm Grove is very good and a large park. Tarangau is smaller and appears more laid back. Would avoid Cable Beach Caravan Park if you can.
We were in Broome on the weekend and the parks are starting to fill quite quickly now with a steady stream of vans around town. See if you can book in advance, meant to find out on the weekend but forgot :(.
Shady tree lane cafe in town have the best vanilla slices if you are into cakes. If (and you will) you drive down to Cable Beach for the sunset, don't rush off as soon as the sun sets as the real colours of the sky and ocean (especially if some cloud about) come out about 30 mins or more after the sun has gone down.
If you are into exercise, catch the bus down to the Gantheaume Point(first bus of the day) and walk back along Cable Beach. It is about 6 km but well worth it.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 420315

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:41

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:41
well can I ask that where ever you stay that you actually follow the road rules. That means the speed as well. We don't all want to do 30K down the main drag :-) and don't stop where ever you want.......

The reason a lot of the parks will not take bookings at this time of year is because they are full before the year starts. cable Beach for EG are booked out in July this year from people last year. Also if you have a smaller van or Camper then you can look to stay at the Broome Bird Observatory about 33 K out of Broome. We go camping there quite a lot and it's about 34 per night. It's a top spot and quiet. You cold then come into town for the day and easerly get back out. Probably OK for those on here for a few days

As for the rangers. Yes they are getting feed up with the free loaders and we are looking to get wheel clamps in town for those who do not move on. Another fun game is the let their tyers down when they camp on the beach - Na not really.

Quondong is a great spot but don't count on getting a spot as there are a lot of locals that also use that area so you need to be careful there as well. The overflows have not been opened as yet this year. They are not opened as a matter of course but only when the Visitors Centre can not find ANY accommodation are they opened.
AnswerID: 420532

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 19:23

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 19:23
Trouble is with the backpackers (some) know when the rangers start and finish. As you would know, the car park at the back of Zanders quite often has backpackers cooking meals , doing the dishes etc and obviously intend to stay the night. Of course there are backpackers that do the right thing and stay at a hostel, get a casual job or two so I am not saying that they all do it.
The shire should look at random shifts to surprise a few.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 690751

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 20:54

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 20:54
So true.....Was at the shire a few days ago and I'm afriad this is going to get real nasty for the back packers, not us. There is a real problem with them here in that there is no where for them to go. At least in Darwin they are trying to address the issues by building a park for them with minimal charge. Here they just frown but where is their bread buttered. Not totally by the packers ( Although Kerry was here last week) but they do contribute.

Anyway. My only gripe are the drivers that arrive here. They are terrible..Really bad and I'm sick of it. If I have to follow another scooter doing 40 K through the out skirts of town I an going to run some one over. Uurrgghhhhh
AnswerID: 420567

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:56

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 20:56
True about the scooters. We hired one once (never again) flat stick it would do 50klm per hour. This is as far as I am concerned just dangerous and you could feel what the car drivers were thinking but there was nothing apart from pulling over to the side that could be done. I have a motor bike licence but some of the riders look like it is just a laugh and of course they forget about the stones that are on the edges of the roundabouts. The idea of a cheaper park would be good and the shire does need to do something. Although having said that when I was in Broome in the late 70's the "hippies" would camp in the dunes of Cable Beach. 30 odd years later the problem still exists. Broome is still a great place and if we could we would be there fulltime.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 690851

Sponsored Links