Don't we love overseas visitors

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:20
ThreadID: 79584 Views:4784 Replies:16 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
We were going to Fisherman's wharf in Darwin last night, when on the road near the parking area on the wharf an Apollo motor home was stopped with its hazard lights flashing as we due alongside to see if we could help the driver was at the side of the motor home dumping the black water tank on to the road over the harbour, nuggets, toilet paper the lot.
We spoke to the driver by his accent he was German, told him he was an a..hole polluting the harbour, he could not care less, I was too late to take the rego no to report him to Apollo but then thought they could not care less either.
This is what overseas people think of our country that they can pollute it like they do at home.
Regards Ted
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darrin - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:32
All hire cars should also be required to carry a shovel and the drivers told why it is there and how to use it correctly.
AnswerID: 421882

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:38

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 20:38
Why didnt you get his rego no and report him to the EPA, they would have jumped on him like a ton of bricks. Son spotted some workers dropping tar on a quite back lane, rang me. I contacted the EPA and they where their in 15mins.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 421884

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:39

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:39
Gee I could add so much to that but i would be moderated. Grrr
While we were up Yeppoon we had a chat to two O/S travellers in a van. They didn't know what prohibited meant they couldn't pronounce it properly. They said it was written on a sign where they camped the night before. So then we went through many other things not to do in Aus.
AnswerID: 421893

Reply By: Von Helga - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:50
I can't beleive you did not call the police
AnswerID: 421897

Reply By: lancie49 - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 21:56
Did you have a camera, or a phone, or either or both ??
AnswerID: 421898

Reply By: landed eagle - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:15
Ummmmmmm, judging by the number of soiled disposable nappies and other items connected with them that seem to be multiplying on the roadsides, and in rest areas around this great country,it's not just the o'seas visitors who dont give a you know what.
AnswerID: 421905

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 22:24
2 weeks ago while camped in the Kings Canyon Resort Camping area, two sets of young German tourists in old station wagons snuck in and free-camped next to us. They left behind a trail of litter and toilet paper around where their vehicles were parked and left at the crack of dawn. We cleaned up their mess. SCUM!!!
AnswerID: 421908

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:14

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:14
I'm not German but I've been there quite a few times and it's a very clean nice place. All countries have their knuckleheads...we've got plenty. Mike
AnswerID: 421916

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:14

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:14
I have to say that alot of so call "German tourists" are not German at all. Its amazing how many times I hear bloody Germans and the people they are referring too are not German at all. Overall the Germans are very clean and tidy, it was even commented at the Sydney Olympics had well they kept their rooms as opposed to everyone else.
Ted G. If you were close enough to hear his "accent" you were close enough to take his number or to ask where he was from.
Where ever he was from, you should have reported him even if it was the next day.

Tony.
FollowupID: 692335

Follow Up By: heldus - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:37

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 04:37
Tony,

well said!

Best regards from Germany
Helga
FollowupID: 692413

Reply By: Muntoo - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:33

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 23:33
The thing is though,whats the point whinging on here about it, when you could have done something about it? Really, no point complaining now, cause they think its ok to do so they will keep doing it.
AnswerID: 421921

Reply By: OREJAP - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:47

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:47
The more WE as proud Australians start to dob in hoons,vandals,thieves & other undesirables the better this country will be for all. I know that in the "heat" of the moment we sometimes do not react or behaviour probably as we should it is only after an event we think "Gosh I should have done this or that" With technology the way it is, ie...mobile phones to take picture,video & audio record incidents we as good citizens are more capable of recording acts that are anti social. You do not have to give evidence in court if you have recorded the event on camera etc......The recorded image like a photo is very hard evidence to rebut. I have in the past recorded via a video, vandals destroying property & handed the tape to Parks Vic. The evidence & file were sent to local Police at the town where the vandals lived. On being interviewed all facts put to the offenders were denied until shown the video evidence which placed them at the scene & in the car. This evidence could not be disputed & a subsequent admission & guilty plea in court. I did not have to give evidence & basically not involved in the proceedings. I do not believe we all have to go around "dobbing" in everyone however..."evil prevails when good men do nothing"
AnswerID: 421963

Reply By: Dasher Des - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:33

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:33
Don't just blame the overseas tourists for not doing the right thing. A few years ago, we were in the Vic High Country enjoying lunch when these vehicles pulled up and everyone jumped out including the dogs despite signs being around banning dogs. When the wife went closer with the camera and started taking photo's of the dogs with the vehicle rego numbers, they quickly packed up and left. We noticed on the way out that the sign banning dogs had been backed into and smashed although it was in good shape on the way in. The vehicles were all Vic registered and definitely not overseas tourists. We sent the photo's to Vic National Parks but have no idea wether it was followed up or not.
AnswerID: 421968

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:35

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:35
Atitudes are changing, I know a lot of fishery offences are reported now because most people carry mobiles, and can ring fisheries and dob them in.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 421969

Follow Up By: mylestom - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:28

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:28
Did that took photos of vehicles, reported to Fisheries, Not their Responsibility, Maritime, No not mine, Police yes they visited but follow up no. Seems like(in there opinion) its not my job and really after 14 phone calls and even the local member of Parliament, who returned call and advised follow up. Did I receive follow up or report from any, answer nil.
Why don't we react, firstly abuse and physical threats, followed by inaction from Government Departments.
Seems like all problems belong to another department, but if its my department I will take you details and never call you back.
This has happened on quite a few occasions.
Very annoying and frustrating, but believe typical of the reaction received.

Regards

Trev

FollowupID: 692364

Follow Up By: Rob! - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:34

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:34
trev

Even if the perpetrators are caught and fined it is unlikely that the departments would let you know. (which could be up to 2 years from when the offence was comiited)

R
FollowupID: 692365

Follow Up By: mylestom - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 17:59
R,
Courtesy, if someone bothers to ring up and you say that you will get back to them, you do that.

Realise matters can take a long time to get to a satisfactory conclusion. However that does not excuse you from ringing back and giving information or just say that the matter is in the process of being investigated, does not hurt.

If you want co-operation from the general public, then you must as a government representative, be seen to be doing something or at least following up on your own commitment.

Ignoring the general public, does not endear yourself or the department to the initial caller.

This happens at all levels of government, from local to state and federal.

Off the high horse, and back in the poo again

Regards

Trev
FollowupID: 692366

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:48

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 22:48
"Did that took photos of vehicles, reported to Fisheries, Not their Responsibility, Maritime, No not mine, Police yes they visited but follow up no"

so what was it they did, that Fisheries, Maritime and Police didn't seem to have a problem with?
FollowupID: 692402

Follow Up By: mylestom - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:25

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 06:25
It is a yearly problem with Pro Fisherman (Beach Haul Netters), causing ongoing problems, breaking regulations. Photos of vehicles illegally parked with unregistered mbikes and boats and trailers not with legal requirements.
Photo taken and threats were of physical harm. Fisheries issues licence,but won't intervene on any reports, maritime responsible, no not us unless we catch them with boat off trailer. Police we will caution them about threats, thats if we find them. Could you keep an eye out for them. Rangers booked them last year over driving over sand dunes finally court fine.
However rules for mullet netters change all the time as the netters actually sit on board for the regulations, everytime you get close, they with the help of fisheries just change the regs to suit.
Sounds like a winge, sorry but frustrated when you see the damage to beach and the wanton destruction of a food source, sometimes just for the roe and the fish dumped. No respect for community and physical threats to anyone trying to take photos or come within viewing distance of them working, breaking of laws with no repercussions.
Thats about as brief as I can make it. This story is repeated up and down the coast at most coastal villages each year.

Trev
FollowupID: 692415

Follow Up By: Rob! - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:12

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:12
Trev,

At least you did something. You let them know what you thought of their actions. maybe next time they'll think twice.

I think that you had put many forumnites off side by implying that these prolems are created by overseas visitors. Let me tell you that Australians touring both here and overeas are not any better.

R.
FollowupID: 692428

Follow Up By: mylestom - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:50

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:50
At no stage did I say or imply that they were overseas visitors. It was a follow up the above statement.

Quote "Atitudes are changing, I know a lot of fishery offences are reported now because most people carry mobiles, and can ring fisheries and dob them in.
Cheers Pete " Unquote.

Realise the heading of the initial subject, however this was a followup to one statement within, which happens in many blogs and posts on this forum.

No confusion here, but will apoligise if someone didn't read the original intent properly.

It was used as example of not only people of certain origins, but Australian's behaving badly. Thats why they were reported, for their behaviour and attitude not their origin.

Regards

Trev
FollowupID: 692445

Follow Up By: Rob! - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:10

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:10
Sorry Trev I was reffering to Ted. Hit the wrong button.
FollowupID: 692449

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:39

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 13:39
Dumping toilet waste illegally is not limited to the overseas tourist.

You should have got his number and let the EPA track him down.
With you as a witness they would tracked him down and given him an almighty kick in the back side
AnswerID: 421970

Reply By: Rob! - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 16:09

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 16:09
I'll bet you the're the same type of people who like to have a whinge but do nothing about their issue.
AnswerID: 421985

Follow Up By: Ted G - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:07

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 21:07
I was unable to take photos etc... as he was blocking the road in and there was a queue of cars behind me and coming the other way.
Obversely he was dumping to return the motor home before flying out.
as there was a dump point on the way to the airport but not on the way to the Apollo depot.
I can assure you that if it had been possible I would have taken some action, as I have a very short fuse.
Ted
FollowupID: 692390

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 24, 2010 at 19:05
"this is what overseas............" do us a favour mate

good old Australian xenophobia

Go up to Inskip like we did earlier this year and see all the crap paper hanging in the trees and unburied "parcels" lying around

AnswerID: 422000

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:32

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:32
Quite incredible given that there are toilets up there!! :(
FollowupID: 692429

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:24
funnily enough Amy, there was a thread on here that I read before we went to Inskip. Two posters commented on the same thing but most didn't seem to notice it. I decided the two who commented on the problem were probably a bit fussy. I was wrong. They had good reason to mention it.

It was about a week after the Easter school holidays and at least two weeks after the Easter long weekend but you'd think they could've cleaned it up a bit by then. That doesn't excuse the culprits though. I think, looking at all the "diggings" there are just too many people going there for it to be kept in anything like decent order. The other guy was talking about a time well away from school holidays.
FollowupID: 692435

Reply By: Nargun51 - Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:24
“I can assure you that if it had been possible I would have taken some action, as I have a very short fuse.
Ted”

Interesting comment!

This wording certainly implies that you would consider physical violence to resolve an issue!

Yet you complain about the people breaking the law.

A modicum of hypocrisy?

Have you reported the incident to the hire company?

Did you consider reporting the hire company to the EPA?

Either they could have worn the complaint (and possible fine) or did a check of their books and given the names of German citizens who returned cars about that time to the EPA to investigate through further.

I am assuming that you can detect differences between European accents to pin point the person as a German, and was a visitor to this country. He may have been a citizen of this country who had not lost his accent (I can safely assume that he wasn’t a refugee/illegal immigrant).

There are so many things you could have done within the law; (even outside the law…an assault would have meant his return to Australia to give evidence at your trial) yet you choose to complain in a forum with a number of reasons to excuse your inactivity and express your xenophobic attitudes.

AnswerID: 422076

Sponsored Links