Nullarbor Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 07:36
ThreadID: 79746 Views:3756 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi Travellers.
I am contemplating a suitable camping base within driving distance to Head of the Bight for a couple of nights.

Looks like Fowlers Bay (171km drive one way) or perhaps the Nullarbor Hotel/Motel/Roadhouse which I believe has a small camping area at the back.

Has anyone stayed at the roadhouse area and was it reasonable?
Are there any other locations I haven't thought of yet?

We are looking at a location for three vehicles to camp where it is safe enough to leave the campsite for a few hours and come back to how we left it.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:02
Hi Bill
Ask the right questions and you will get the right answer...and here it is for you and only a very short distance from the Whale watching centre (Waypoint 60)

The location is S31 33 39 E130 45 57. Well away from the Main Highway and good flat areas amongst the timber for very secluded camping. The only thing that you have to watch out for is pack all small items away as there are lots of dingos in the area.

This was a top location.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422551

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:01

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:01
Possibilities only but you could consider going down the dog fence at Yalata...plenty of spots for a remote camp or even go down to the beach. The second option is to book a site in Yalata lands on the beach which can get you quite close to the Head of the Bite. Do a search on Bob's Kitchen and see what you find. There are a number of good spots to camp and it's well looked after and managed. I am assuming you are travelling in a totally self sufficient way? Good luck and regards, Leigh
AnswerID: 422556

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:34

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:34
In Camps Australia 5, Sth Aus, 666, 222k Peg Rest Area 31 21 53 S, 131 16 02 E is another possibility. I haven't stayed there so can't comment on it.
There are a couple of others nearby listed in camps 5
AnswerID: 422571

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:38

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:38
The Nullabor Roadhouse camp area is a very standard flat, gravel spot immediately adjacent to the roadhouse. Its very open and you'll have the traffic noise at night, but it is probably the safest area you can camp, and would be the only place where I'd be happy to leave tents or camper trailers around there.

Your last sentence is the issue. We've overnighted at most of the good rest stops between Nullabor and Ceduna and can recommend some but I wouldn't leave my stuff there during the day. Most common one we use is a few kilometres west of the Fowlers bay turnoff because you can get a few hundred metres off the road, and there's good firewood and protection.
AnswerID: 422585

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:34

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:34
G'day Phil G,
Can you list your recommended overnight rest stops for a van. We are just looking for overnighters, not for leaving van etc. Are they in camps 5 or can you give some precise directions?
Thanks, Rod
FollowupID: 692979

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:16

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 19:16
Gday Rod,
For overnighters in a van, most have enough room and each night you'd find a few vans pulled off in them. None have toilets.
We have always thrown out a swag, so tend to look for spots that have a bit of mallee for protection and where we can have a small campfire if the conditions are OK. The following are scanned from a SA government publication from 2007. The two ticked sites are ones I often use.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 692993

Sponsored Links