Outback nappy solution

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 09:43
ThreadID: 80126 Views:3837 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I know this will possibly be a very opinionated response, and luckily will not be a long term problem. We have 2 boys, our youngest (just turned 2 this morning) is not yet toilet trained, running a bit behind his brother.

We plan to be on the road in 3 weeks now, just wondering what other family's do here, cloth or disposable? We have some very cute cloth print one's but also use disposable for convinience. We were planning on just cloth, but this may use a fair amount of water, on the other side disposable will force us to lug a big bag of used ones around for a while, and is an ongoing cost.

I know it's kind of a trivial matter, but interested in what others have done.
We are leaving Perth, heading out on the Great Central Road, towards north QLD to give some insight, then for as long as it takes to get home (1 or 2 years)

Cheers
Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 09:59

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 09:59
Hi there,

Having done the trip round OZ with 3 kids (not in nappies) and the amount of washing I had to do, if it were me I would opt for the disposable nappy, I know not the most environmentally friendly way (although I do believe that they are getting better at producing a more EF nappy).

Could you use the pull up type of nappy pant? being on the road will make training a little challenging however, if pulling over for the "stop" perhaps he may go if he see's dad and brother peeing in the bush!!!!! could be fun.

Best of luck, you will have the best time!!!

Cheers
Caz
http://www.travelingoz.webs.com
AnswerID: 424295

Reply By: trainslux - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:12

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:12
Lots of options, weigh up each pro and con.
We spent over a month on the road, here are our thoughts.

For us, when we travelled with our 4mth old daughter, we used cloth at home, but decided to use disposables whilst traveling.

A: we couldnt wash the white flags whilst on the road, and if we did use a bucket, water usage would have been high, and space for bucket, water etc would have not been available.
Even when staying in a caravan park, we didnt want to spend a day washing and drying before setting off again. However it could be done if you factor that into your travels. As we were going thru places with high water restrictions, we felt it considerate not to use white flags.

B: Packed Size of disposables compared to white flags were much less.
even considering the used ones.

C: The main one, Leakage containment was better with our 4mth old with disposables, and she could go further between changes.

D: Less bulk around the body in disposables made for more comfort whilst in the car seat.

Just get a bag to go over your spare tyre on the back, and put the used ones in there till you can dispose of them at a later date.

worked well for us.

Trains
AnswerID: 424296

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:48

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:48
Disposable is the ONLY option .......
Done MANY miles with kids in nappies and a few things that will convince you.... the cloth does not adsorb anywere as near as much fluid/s and solids and they are strapped in TIGHT and the area that it all "happens" in is all squashed up and hence a normal POO will squash out the sides and that is the MINOR problem for you.... the car seat will be soaked and have POO's all squashed in the seams, stitching, foam and guess what, you will be about um, 250 klms form any form of washing and drying it all and guess what again, you have to get a nice clean towell and poor little fella hase to sit on that until you get to someware you can clean it all up and the smell in the car..... get my point .... "lugging" around the "used" ones wont really be a problem either, we alway keep old plastic shopping bags and wrap each twice and then in a big plastic rubbish bag, it is all dirty so can then go anyware on the car or trailer, dust/dirt aint going to hurt it and next bin you come accross in it goes .... put it this way.... 4 disposbale nappies or 4 cloth and the 10 L of water to wash them in.... which is the lighter of the 2 ???? remember you will have to rinse each one after washing so LOTS of water to carry and that is heavy ( 1L is about 1kg) ....
Even for the times you are camped up go either disposable or just plain shorts, and they will learn quickly, DONT even bother to take the cloth nappies as you just create more to do for yourself....
Good luck guys, it is not TRIVIAL either as it will consume a lot of your "holiday" time if you dont do it right ..... if i was "dad" CRANKY mom washing bleep ty nappies every stop, turn around and go home :-)
AnswerID: 424302

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:39

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:39
My my, how different generations view the important things in life.

When our lad was a baby, we had no choice as those horrible disposable nappies didn't exist.
We had no problem whatsoever in dropping the soiled nappies in a bucket with NapiSan. Had a continuous, reusable supply as well.

I have witnessed countless places where inconsiderate people have disposed of the plastic ones in a most undesirable way. This problem is even worse than the "bush streamer" problem that we also come across in remote places.

There is nothing difficult, or insurmountable in using cloth nappies.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424306

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 17:01

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 17:01
Possibly a little off the topic however I do recall the family story of my grandmother walking from York to Perth with her 10 children- including a baby and a toddler with downs syndrome. She had a wagon pulled by a cow, with all her belongings in it. I often wonder how she managed (her husband was in hospital in Perth) to travel all that distance without the creature comforts of camping that we have today, and how she managed the needs of the children and the baby. No protable stove, or fridge, no fancy tent or sleeping bags/mattresses. And certainly no disposable nappies.doc
FollowupID: 694741

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 21:28

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 21:28
While thats a valid point of course Sandman, cloth nappies havent been around forever either. Your great grannies probably had some choice words to say about cloth nappies also. And electric power. And the wireless. And horseless carriages etc.

Fact is that these days the gap between cloth and disposable has closed considerably when all factors are taken into account such as water use, energy to wash, detergent use.

And recommending that they dont use them because they can be seen dumped in the bush is no different from someone telling you to not drink beer cos theres empty stubbies to be found everywhere.

:-)
FollowupID: 694779

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 13:59

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 13:59
Troy
We are well past this problem, which certainly isn't trivial, but I'm sure many others will point to disposables as your best option.

Been said many times before but PLEASE don't dump the used nappies in the first bin you come to. Many remote bins are rarely cleared and we've all seen full bins with rubbish (including disposables) just left adjacent. Stomach turning, apart from any health issues for humans and wildlife.

It would be great if everyone carried most of their rubbish with them until they reach a significant population centre. Can be a pain, esp with nappies, but there are sealable drums etc which work perfectly well to seal in the odours. Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 424312

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 21:00

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 21:00
When you get to a 'significant population centre' - where do you get rid of them? The town Tip? Other peoples Wheelie Bins? A lot of town bins have signs that prohibit any 'Household' rubbish - would this include a few full bags of a couple of weeks camping rubbish? I have been in this situation before where I did the right thing and carried rubbish for about 400k's to the nearest large town - and still couldnt find anywhere that I could legally get rid of it. Ended up taking it another 200k's home and put it in mine and the neighbours Wheelie Bins - sometimes this isnt practical, and only leaves the roadside parking bay bins.... (As long as they arent full already!!!)
FollowupID: 694777

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:13

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:13
I always took that sighn to mean exactly what it says

- no household rubish

as in driving out to these bins to turf your houisehold rubish because your bin is full

rubish generated while driving/travelling is what their for i would have thought
FollowupID: 694787

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:52

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:52
Drew
I acknowledge that there may/will be (rare) times where it is impractical to carry all your rubbish to a town. That said, there is really no excuse for not being prepared to store/carry one's rubbish when in the bush/travelling. I simply don't get the mindset of, for example, people who camp at national parks for a few days and leave their rubbish behind in bins. Not difficult to pack it in a bag and take it back home with you.
FollowupID: 694793

Reply By: Chipsy - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:05

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 15:05
Hi there Troy.

I am a cloth user, up until a couple of weeks ago I had two in cloth... we have only just got back into camping in the last few months after being scared when we had our first child.. now we have three kids we were like it cant get any worse and it wont get any easier for a while lets just do it, but thats another story!

so far on our short reco camping trips I have opted for disposables. but I think if I were going for a longer trip I would take cloth, especially with just one in nappies now. Im a member of a parenting forum which has a nappies tips and questions section where this has been discussed many times at length. most people seem to put it in the too hard basket but some have used those portable hand washers for their nappies with great success. you could also wash at parks that have laundry facilities if thats the kind of place you stay.
I will also have to differ from the above poster who states that disposables will contain better. yes they hold more wee but the cloth, especially if you use a cloth and cover system is far superior at pootainment.

why dont you have a go at cloth and if its too hard just buy some disposables?

either way I hope you have a great trip!

AnswerID: 424319

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 17:48

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 17:48
Troy Disposables for sure. Just dispose of them thoughtfully. At the posibilty of being stoned to death, it would be better to burn the odd one in your camp fire than leave a big bag of them all wrapped up in a bin in the middle of no where for foxes and birds to get into.

Regards
AnswerID: 424326

Reply By: Member - david m2 (SA) - Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 20:07

Saturday, Jul 17, 2010 at 20:07
buy one of those vacuum pack (criovack) machines and you could seal away all the nasties for ever. when you get near a bin dispose of them . No smell and minimal space.
AnswerID: 424337

Reply By: Member - troy s (WA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:00

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:00
Thanks heaps for the reply's, wasn't expecting so many people to actually find this matter important enough to help with advice. I was actually expecting to be shot down suggesting the use of disposables, as I'm very aware of the problems associated with getting rid of rubbish. Obviously having a love for our country and camping and nature in itself, we are very oppposed to seeing rubbish thoughtlessly discarded, this was the main reason we initially bypassed the idea of disposals.
The main concern with cloth however is the need for water, the actual cleaning is an issue, but we're in no hurry so not a real worry to us.

So thanks for the advice, I think we're going to go with the disposables. I think we wanted to do this, but felt as though we should be going with the cloth option. Like they say, "happy wife, happy life"

Cheers again

Troy

AnswerID: 424358

Follow Up By: Joe n Mel - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:14

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:14
mmmmmm happy wife, happy life ....
You wont regret it, funny as you may just never go back to cloth, after all it is just a "perception" by the user that they are """doing the right thing""""
Good luck with the travels guys, if you ever come up to Doomadgee QLD, call in and see us at the roadhouse..
FollowupID: 694795

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:18

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:18
Good on you Troy. I am sure you both dont want to spend the trip washing nappies and then getting them dry.

I used only cloth nappies when our kids were babies but in those days disposables were new on the market and very expensive.

Having seen my daughter use only the disposable type during the last few years has made me realise just how much the washing with babies and toddlers has reduced and how much more time is spent with the babies and doing other activities instead. She has managed to get out for a good long walk most days almost from the time both babies were born which is wonderful exercise and enjoyable for the little ones too.

Disposables are much more absorbant and comfortable, reducing the number of times changing is necessary. They are a wonderful invention and only a man who has not had to do the washing for babies/toddlers would advocate using cloth these days I reckon. Just my opinion!

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 694797

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 14:15

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 14:15
Image Could Not Be Found
I still use them. These bags are fantastic for cloth or disposable. I like the idea of a bag over the spare wheel if you have one. While you are travelling its a great opportunity to toilet train while daddy is around. We use to get the boys to aim for rocks. Make it fun.
Cheers
AnswerID: 424386

Follow Up By: Member - troy s (WA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:08

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:08
haha great idea, the boys will love that!
FollowupID: 694828

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:36

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 16:36
Line the disposable nappies with a Chux Super Wipe (you cut them in half to get the right size). That way you can separate the poo from the nappy - bury the poo and cart the used nappies in a bag on the roof rack.
A garbage bag inside a canvas bag works well on the roofrack.
AnswerID: 424403

Sponsored Links