Hi Jeff @ Mt Dare

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 13:16
ThreadID: 80490 Views:4242 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Jeff,
I met you at Mt Dare when you fixed my mates Jayco spring last weekend. (Last Saturday in July) We got just into the desert when the leaves broke in half!! Just one of those things and all part of the adventure! We bush mechaniced together with a gidyea log, a drag chain and lots of fence wire and slowly but surely made it to Birdsville. Our Tvan did the crossing easily! We followed your route advice, around the Rig Rd and up Erabema Tr to the French Line, and had a blast. Some beautiful scenery around there that I would have hated to miss! 5 beautiful desert nights!
So many many thanks for your help mate, good to know that there are people who are prepared to help out there, of course, those people are everywhere in the "outback" aren't they?
Again, thanks mate and it was great meeting you!

Cheers

Brian & Co.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 13:34

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 13:34
Great Story..
AnswerID: 426066

Reply By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 15:55

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 15:55
Brian,

Thanks for that, we try & help out anyone that needs it.

We are all out here because we want to be here not because we have to, so it's nice to be recognised occasionally for lending a hand (sometimes it costs a bit), wheather it's a bit of info' about road conditions, mechanical help, or recoveries.

AnswerID: 426077

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:00

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:00
Jeff, if you used the Forum using the Mt Dare Business Member login, this post would provide an opportunity for readers to click through to the Mt Dare profile page to view contact details, etc as all Business Member posts logged under their profile automatically include a promo footer. It is preferable if you are a representative/staff member of Mt Dare that you used their profile - check with Dave if he is ok with that first of course.
If you're not sure, contact Michelle for guidance as she manages the business members and advertisers.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 696661

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 19:37

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 19:37
Not a problem, I'll talk to Dave about it.

FollowupID: 696676

Reply By: ModSquad - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 17:56

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 17:56
Hi Brian,
Because both you and Jeff are Members you can make direct contact with him by sending him a Member Message. To do that, you simply find his profile (either by going to the Members List (click on the word Members in the blue menu at the top of the page) then search for him in the list) or using the link to Member Message that will appear at the bottom of any post he has previously made. You can then click on the Member Msg link to send him a msg privately to avoid putting it in the Forum.

We've put this info in this post to let others know that may have been wondering the same thing.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 426087

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:29

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:29
I see nothing wrong with having this topic on the forum or the content in it.

It is informative to all of us that this sort of support and recognition for the support exists in the outback.

Good on you Brian for raising it and recognising the help you received from Jeff and Mt Dare.

Good on you Jeff for taking the time to help out travellers in need.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 696665

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:36

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2010 at 18:36
That may be true Sandman, but we see here two very supportive, polite, friendly responses from the ModSquad.

Let's not jump down their throats. It's not as if their response has been an instant deletion, is it?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 696666

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:32

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:32
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 696701

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:58

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:58
I fully agree with Sand Man & Gone Bush
now hope it does not get outa hand :-)

This way we at least we all get to learn something about the guys who choose to enjoy living in what city slickers call in 'the stiks'

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 696703

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:02

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 09:02
Public acknowledgement of a deed well done-doesnt seem to be an unreasonable action to put it up here?

good on you Jeff-kudos 2 u
FollowupID: 696706

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:28

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:28
Bill, we didn't say we had a problem with the topic in the Forum, far from it!! We are addressing the fact that Brian's post title is a call out to an individual and assume that means he is attempting to find a way to reach him. We only want to help people understand how to do that.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 696716

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:10

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2010 at 20:10
Thank you for the reply and for not simply deleting this post, which I think is important in the way different people interpret things.

I believe Brian was acknowledging the support he experienced from a remote area and wished to publicly thank the Mt Dare folk and Jeff in particular for the help they received.

If Brian did in fact send a member message to Jeff, or anyone else at Mt Dare Station, no one else would have been aware of this good old Aussie act of support.

In my opinion, this is an area that ExplorOz and the Moderators need to take heed of if they wish to acknowledge the greater good of the forum to all parties, whether members, registered visitors, or anyone else viewing these posts.

This is a very important issue that the forum provides in general community information that is definitely on topic and I would hate to see this sort of communication "hidden" in member messages.

Cheers,
Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 696768

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 17:27

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 17:27
Hi everyone!
Let me say first how great it is to see a topic so poiltely discussed!

To the the ModSquad, I actually tried to search for Jeff to send him a MM, however I was looking for "Jeff @ Mt Dare" as I thought that was his screen name but is his in fact his SIG line rather than his name, so I couldn't send him one at all. I didn't think OzRover was him! LOL.....

To all the other guys, many thanks for your support, I thought about it myself and even if I could have sent him an MM, I would have put a post up thanking him publicly anyway. We humans (a lot of us anyways) too often find fault with others and are quick to point it out, I much prefer to go out of my way to say "good onya" when I get good service. I have learnt a lot about myself on this trip, and I have realized what the outback is about and what attracts me to it. I have taken the time to talk to many people out there, and have listened to some wonderful stories. I will expand on this on later posts when I get home and have better net access.

Lastly, to those who haven't been there, Mt Dare is a great place to stop and have a yarn with friendly outback folk!

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 426274

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 18:23

Thursday, Aug 05, 2010 at 18:23
Gerday Brian,

How did your mate go with the Jayco?

Those upside down U-bolts were a bit of a worry! I'm not really surprised that he ended up breaking a spring.

FollowupID: 696841

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 07:50

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 07:50
Hi Jeff,
Yeah, it was a worry all right! Not being a mechanic myself, I don't know much about vehicles, but am "mechanically-minded" enough that I can get my head around a lot of stuff, and I could see your point about the upside down U bolts. You suggested to them that they shouldn't take it in the Simpson, but they were dead set serious about doing it. (I was rather annoyed when they carried on about the price of the Desert Pass, we had told them on two ocassions during the months of planning what that pass was and how much it would cost!. They're a funny pair!) I have a Cavalier trailer at home, I would NEVER have contemplated a crossing in it, as good as it is! For me, the Tvan proved itself, I hardly knew it was on the back of the Patrol most of the time. Tyre pressures and momentum...... the golden rule of sand driving!

It broke just down the first section of the Rig Road. Cresting a small dune and the leafs snapped in half where the locator goes through. I suggested we use a log, and provided a lump of firewood from the Tvan wood rack, and chainsawed it to the shape that Ian, the Jayco owner, wanted. We used fence wire and ratchet straps to hold it in place, removed the shock absorber and used my drag chain between the upper and lower shock mounts and the rear "recovery(?)" point of the trailer. This held the axle in place for front and rear movement, with the log made that whole side solid. It made some horrible noises for the next 4 days! But that log didn't move, and also didn't get damaged apart from some very slight scarring on the top where the chassis was sitting on it. However, the trailer suffered a bend in the chassis where the log was! Gidyea versus metal box chassis and the gidyea won! Peter Barnes in Birdsville happened to have a leaf assembly that fitted, so they were sorted out just a couple of hours after we arrived in town.

To me it was all part of the adventure, and later in the trip I've had to apply that philosophy to our own rig, as I burnt my alternator out near the dog fence on the QAA. Still got it to Birdsville though and Peter Barnes organized a new alternator for us, and we're now at Quilpie I have a buggered set of brake pads that didn't like the Simpson mud either! LOL......
But it is all part of the adventure, isn't it? Nearly 7 weeks since we set out, and I can honestly say that I have had the BEST time! The outback is a truly wonderful place in my opinion, and I can't wait for the next trip out there!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 696891

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:42

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:42
Hi Brian- I don't suppose you have any photos?. doc.
FollowupID: 696898

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:59

Friday, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:59
Hi doc.... I do have photo's, but they're in a external hard drive in a folder with about 4000 other photo's from this trip.... LOL... but when we get home and I get 'em sorted, I'll put some up!
Scout's Honour!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 696900

Sponsored Links