Oodnadatta Track Feedback

Hi all - completed the treck through Painted Desert then down the Oodnadatta Track (Oodnadatta to Marree) a couple of weeks ago. The roads were great, despite being told in a couple of places they they might not be passable. The only tricky spot was crossing the Arckaringa River - lots of deep mud. - but managed it without a problem in the Subaru.

Had an amazing week, good weather, lots of ruins (make sure you get out to the Peake Repeater ruins if you can) and met some top people. Also got to see Lake Eyre North and South full of water. I'd definitely recommend this track for a winter getaway. Plenty of other people on the roads, and most of them only too happy to lend a hand.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:02

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:02
tmiller1079

Was it a Forester and were you towing anything as we are about to head out that way in a couple of weeks and I am chasing good photos, hopefully without having to double back long distances to avoid places like the Arckaringa River crossing.

Regards
Paul & Fiona

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 426471

Follow Up By: tmiller1079 - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 14:37

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 14:37
Hi guys!
I was driving an outback. Wasn't towing anything as I was camping on my own, but there were plenty of others towing (pretty much everyone had a camper trailer or caravan). I crossed the Arckaringa near the Painted Desert, and it was 1.5km of muddy sideways-ness. Apparently the crossing on Kempe Rd was about the same, although it may have dried out somewhat since then. I found that the Coober Pedy information Centre had very innacurate road information, but Patrick and Stephanie at Arckaringa Homestead were very knowledgeable, so give them a call from Oodnadatta or Coober Pedy (depending on your direction) on 08 8670 7992 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!08 8670 7992!!!!!!end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

As for photo spots- depends a bit on your preferred subject, but I enjoyed the various features around Coward Springs, ruins and nature at Beresford and Strangway, Halligan Bay on Lake Eyre North (a few nasty corrugations, but worth the trip in to walk along the 'beach'), the bridge and waterhole at Algebuckina, and of course the Painted Desert.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Regards,
Toby
FollowupID: 697064

Reply By: pgiles - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 14:08

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 14:08
hi tmiller1079

we too were in that area a couple weeks back. in fact i think you may have been at williams creek the same night we were as i remember seeing a white outback there (no van or camper)

we too went into the Painted Desert from Cadney Homestead. We have a Tribute and yes the mud around Arckaringa river was interesting, but we had no troubles.

had a great 4 weeks traveling to Uluru, Kings Canyon & Alice via Oodnadatta Track (got to William Creek and they had no ULP, so drove out to Coober Pedy) On the return trip we did the Painted Desert, Oodnadatta, William Creek (again), Coober Pedy (again), Roxby Downs, Flinders for another 3 nights then back to Sydney. Rained all the way from Nyngan and washed the car clean.

can't wait for the next trip
AnswerID: 426946

Follow Up By: tmiller1079 - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 15:44

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2010 at 15:44
Well, that probably would have been me! there's enough room in the back of the Suby for me, and if I stay anywhere more than a night, I set up my kitchen behind the boot :)

Sounds like you had an excellent time away too. A brilliant time of year to see inland Australia. Kings Canyon and Uluru are still on my 'to do' list.. once I've made a few final improvements to the car...
FollowupID: 697538

Sponsored Links