road to bremer bay

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 13:33
ThreadID: 83690 Views:4503 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, heading off to Bremer Bay in a few hours. Does anyone know if Borden-Bremer Bay road betweem Chester pass road and South Coast Highway is fully sealed. If it is gravel- does anyone know what condition it is in? Thanks, doc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hicksy - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 13:44

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 13:44
hey there i'm pretty sure its all sealed now.
it used to be mostly gravel to boxwood hill, but 90% sure its now fully sealed.
hope ya have good trip i love that place :)
AnswerID: 442027

Follow Up By: oz doc - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 13:52

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 13:52
Thanks Hicksy, I thought is was sealed but then looked in a new map book and it indicated the middle section is unsealed.
The alternative is to go east to jerramungup then head south to the Bremer Bay turnoff- two sides of a triangle. If we can go from Chesterpass road to the turnoff it will save quite a bit of time. Travelling on our own so just want to be a little careful.Never been to Bremer Bay- so looking forward to it. cheers, doc.
FollowupID: 714121

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 14:33

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 14:33
oz doc,

I came back from Bremer Bay to Perth yesterday and it was all sealed.

What ever you take, make sure you're set up for windy conditions.

This was my first trip into Bremer. The beaches around Bremer itself are quite nice and IMHO it is not worth the trip out toPoint Ann at the moment. The national parks section of the road is corrugated and uncomfortable and the beaches are much the same closer to town.

If it's fishing you're after, I guess you'll go anywhere - but that wasn't on my agenda.

We drove all the way along the beach at Bremer Bay then ducked over the scratchy tracks to ??Peppermint Beach, then over the next headland and found our way slowly and scratchily back to the Gordon inlet road. That was muddy and corrugated too.

Later I spoke to a local who said they rarely drive to the end of the beach at Bremer because the sand is so heavy - which it was. Travelling single vehicle in these parts is fraught with risk of deep sand bottoming out the vehicle and leaving you stranded. And the tracks out to Doubtful islands are really fishermens tracks, not for touristy traffic.

Most of the beaches around Bremer itself are nice and smooth, I wouldn't be going where I did again in a hurry.

Apart from that, Bremer's a nice little village with plenty of young pre school and primary kids in the Caravan parks right now.

Enjoy it.

Tim
AnswerID: 442030

Follow Up By: oz doc - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 15:11

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 15:11
HI Tim, thanks for that. How windy was it? I looked at the forecast for this week and is suggested only very light winds. We are taking the fishing rods but are not diehard fishermen. Just wanted to mix a littel sightseeing, fishing, swimming and relaxing. Maybe 'have one off the wood' if there is a decent pub in town. cheers, doc.
FollowupID: 714129

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 15:51

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 15:51
Hi ozdoc,

Nope, no pub that I can recall. There is a 'resort' where you can buy grog, and probably at the general store too. The resort might have a bar to prop up, I never went there.

If you're staying in one of the caravan parks, there are two, both are quite sheltered, so wind shouldn't be a problem.

When we drove down, we pushed into 30km/h plus headwinds all the way down. It never really died down to nothing whilst we were there, tho some days were just a gentle breeze and quite pleasant. They don't have a gigantic wind turbine in town for no reason! :-)

It's the southern ocean, so the water is cold. Some people were swimming/surfing. Plenty go fishing. It's a nice place to poke around, no question. The old Wellstead homestead has good coffee and a museum in a nice sheltered spot - it's down past the 'out of town' caravan park. It's a bit like a larger version of Rotto, slow paced.

Tim

FollowupID: 714133

Follow Up By: glenok - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 16:58

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 16:58
Hi Ozdoc/Tim,there is a bar at the "resort".
Glen
FollowupID: 714137

Follow Up By: sub - Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 00:42

Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 00:42
try the sports club for drinks
FollowupID: 714176

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 18:35

Monday, Jan 17, 2011 at 18:35
hey "Oz Doc" .... there is a pub, on top of the hill, it is on the way to the sports club/golf club and you can get drinks at the store also, beer, wine & spirits ...... you cant miss the pub ..... nice views from it .... so they say hahaha
Fishing wise you have endless options with many beaches facing all directions, if to windy from the east then go to Little boat harbor, you can catch a nice BIG salmon there almost all year round as with any on the beaches, most are fantastic for kids, you can also drive onto most beaches (not little boat harbor), there is also a nice jetty to fish at day and night, good squid on it .... and herring, whiting, skippy, and all sorts of others ..... over the back of the jetty/boat ramps on the rocks you will face east, weather permitting you will get some very nice big fish, queenys ect, fine/see sandy bottom and cast out as far as possible with whole mulie on gangs, light sinker .....
Most beaches are accessable to a point in 2wd car .......
Another good spot is "flat rocks", follow the main road right in and past the caravan park, take the right hand road that goes UP THE HILL, you will see what i mean, good photo op's from up there, follow the good tracks to the left as you get over the hill and "flat rocks" is the first car park, bit of a very short walk down and you also can get a good salmon there, good skippy ect, many other very good rock fishing spots further up that track, check em all out .....
Be warned, many lives have been lost around Bremer from king waves and slippery rocks, please be careful on the rocks ..
You could spend a month there with all the spots, even the river is excellent for bream, if you can cross the bar at front beach, take the track that leads back up the river the other side and simply find a spot, the deeper water is on the side (Northern i think it is)
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 714218

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 16:12

Sunday, Jan 16, 2011 at 16:12
What a place ! Was there for the first time late October 09 - nice caravan park with lots of lush grass to park on - kangas use the place just as much as people though (they burrow under the fence) so there are little "nuggets" everywhere - not a huge issue though. The estuary was sand-locked but still full of bream then too - I caught dinner 2 nights in a row just across the road from the CP - used my bait trap to get a few live whitebait. It is a bit of an 'outpost' retail-wise - shopping is just the one modest minimart as I recall - but that's ok :-o).
AnswerID: 442036

Sponsored Links