Tasmania

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 18:32
ThreadID: 85836 Views:2579 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I are travelling to Tassie in June and was wondering if anyone has some good places to visit, historical places ,4x4 tracks for camping and fishishig etc.... anything of interest would be good....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:52

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:52
What an awesome time to visit tassie.
North/north west-Cradle mountain,The Nut (free camp near the wharf)
Tasmazia http://www.tasmazia.com.au/, Dismal swamp.
West coast-Zeehan spray tunnel, Strahan, Arthur River(good camping/fishing), Savage River(free camping/trout fishing, Hells gate south of Strahan(cheap beach camping/fishing/walks).
West coast to hobart-The wall-http://thewalltasmania.com/indexms.html
South of Hobart-Tahune air walk-http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/outdoor_activities/walking__and__trekking/short_walks/?a=39933
Hastings hot springs and caves.
Hobart-Mt Wellington,Salamanca market(may not be running by then)
East coast-Port Arthur, Wine glass bay, Bicheno penguins and blow hole. Coles bay(fishing camping)
North East- Cataract gorge,
Holybanks air adventure http://adventureforests.com.au/hollybank/location.
A couple of links for you to look at
http://adventureforests.com.au/tahune
http://www.discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attractions/popular_attractions/cataract_gorge
Hope this helps. There is heaps more to look at as well depending how much time you have.

Josh
AnswerID: 452206

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:55

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:55
People will tell you tassie is freezing in winter which it can be and the weather can turn quickly but be prepared for it. We found Tassie had the best weather in winter, we loved it and Hobart is the second driest capital after Adelaide so heaps of time to fish through winter.

Josh
FollowupID: 724878

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 22:26

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011 at 22:26
Hi Charlie

Although we were back on the mainland the day before it snowed (my husband hadn't been in the snow), we had a wonderful seven weeks Feb - April. We didn't go fishing or four wheel driving - just touring, walking and enjoying the scenery. My Blogs for 2006 here in the My Blog section give a brief outline of some of the places we visited and enjoyed. For camping opportunities see: Where we free and low cost camped in Tasmania

Our younger daughter spent a year in Tasmania and they got to see snow and lots of it - at Cradle Mountain (in the first car park - which is now the air strip) - in December!

A fantastic place.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452217

Reply By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 06:38

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 06:38
Hi Charlie,

We had 8 wonderful weeks in Tassie earlier this year, January to March and I wrote a blog (still unfinished) about where we stayed and our walks, fishing and other activities and experiences with our caravan and tinnie.
You may find some places to camp and fish if you have a look at it in the blogs on EO.
Although it wasnt our first visit, we left the island with many places still unexplored and feel we still need at least another 8 weeks there.

Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452225

Follow Up By: new boy - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:35
There at the same time 7 weeks didn,t even get to the east coast so another 8 week in 2013 lots to see.
FollowupID: 724904

Reply By: Holiday Maker - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:06

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:06
You cannot get bored here in Tasmania.

For 4wd tracks there is a local publication:-
4WD Tracks in Tasmania, Off-road Tasmania by Chris Boden

Also there are endless forestry roads, be aware that most fire trails are locked up.

Have a nice time here and yes, winter can be the best time of the year. We do most of our sailing during winter.

KenM
AnswerID: 452227

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:21

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:21
Charlie,
I would say with the information above just about all is covered, Salamanca Market IS ON every Saturday and is worth a visit.
On the East Coast, The Bay of Fires is a must to camp at, and further north, Mt William National Park good camping at Policemans Point, Deep Creek at Eddystone Point light house and Stumpys Bay.
There has been bucket loads of rain in the North East in the past few weeks and some of the roads are in bad shape, may pay to get some info at a visitors centre at St Helens before proceeding if you are going to be in this area.
Enjoy Tassie, it's a great place, even if a bit cool at times.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 452230

Reply By: Member - Charlie R - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 09:07

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 09:07
Thanks for all the info from all who replied..... We are coming from the Pilbara, so we will be bringing the sun and double thermals....
AnswerID: 452234

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:33

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:33
Notice Tom Price is 32 degrees today, Hobart is 20 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, beautiful.
You will enjoy it here but do bring dem thermals.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 724902

Reply By: Madfisher - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 09:44

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 09:44
Just remember all the trout streams will be closed to fishing. Great lake and a handfull of other lakes are open but way to cold for me and I live in a cold climate. But you should be right in the salt.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 452239

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 15:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2011 at 15:35
Get your free camping book on the ferry on the way over (they were cheaper in the info shop than the one next door.) You can also purchase your nat parks pass on the ferry as well.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 452263

Reply By: BrownyGU - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 13:52

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011 at 13:52
Charlie,

Stanley, on the North West Coast, still the prettiest town I've seen, on our current tour of OZ, and the Sandy Cape track on the west coast, out of Arthur River is a rippa 4wd tour, to Sandy Cape, a wild wild bit of coast line! and Corinna south of Arthur River is a must see I reckon.

Cheers.....Browny
AnswerID: 452345

Sponsored Links