Can we have a mice report please?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2011 at 22:35
ThreadID: 86697 Views:3068 Replies:14 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
We are contemplating a bit of outback in a few weeks but don't fancy a mice plague in our sleeping bags. Can we have a bit of an around the country update on these pesky critters. Thanks, Chris [Melbourne, no mice YET.]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:49
Chris,

Just back from a trip with stops at
Nyngan
Gundabooka NP
Broken Hill
Sturt NP
Lyndhurst
William Creek
Arckaringa
Mt Dare
Alice Springs

They were everywhere.
One got into my swag at Nyngan and bit me. LOL
AnswerID: 456123

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:57

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:57
Thanks Richard & Wilko, we have also been waiting for them to die off , We want to get up to Tamworth/ Gunnedah. Your updates are very useful , any idea when they will be gone?? Regards Keith
FollowupID: 729119

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 16:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 16:49
Kieth, in the style of Len Beadell, the mice should be gone by 3.00pm next Tuesday. If the frosts keep up, they might be gone by Monday.
FollowupID: 729157

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:54

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:54
Hi Chris and Lindsay,

Heaps around the Parkes area. Ive been catching approx 20 a night in 3 bucket traps every night.

Not sure what there like out in the deserts but Parkes Forbes Dubbo have the worst of it.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 456125

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:54

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:54
There is still a few down here at Griffith, but not in huge numbers.

FollowupID: 729116

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:27

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:27
Happy to loan you my pet diamond python.....loves travelling, only eats rodents, doesn't bit (well not very often anyway), and would really appreciate the opportunity to get at some of those nice fat mice. Also good as a foot warmer in the bottom of the swag but can sometimes get a bit restless when the metabolism is heated up :-)
AnswerID: 456130

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:26

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:26
I hear they are quite a problem in the High Country.

Image Could Not Be Found
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 456137

Follow Up By: thefang1 - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:00

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:00
We camper trailered in the Gawler Ranges this time last year in the middle of the SA plague and spent 2 nights beating the little darlin's off the canvas and mesh windows of the Kimberley. They even got into the roof lining of our friends Tojo.
We now own a caravan and the friend's passengers stayed with him for several days!
FollowupID: 729183

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 13:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 13:02
Caught 5 in my compost heap over the last few days here in Adelaide - I'm doing what I can to help :-o)........ but seriously...... heard direct from a traveller the other day that mice were everywhere up in the West MacDonnels out of the Alice - probably region wide. Was in the Riverland SA last week for a few days - only saw one or two there.
AnswerID: 456147

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 16:52

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 16:52
Darian, When you were up in the Riverland, did you notice all those little mouse coloured stains all over the road, They are the ones that didn't get away. LOL Some places, the road is carpetted with them.
FollowupID: 729158

Reply By: deserter - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:55

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:55
I am currently up near Glen Innes. Pretty much bugger all up here now.
AnswerID: 456180

Reply By: murrayman - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:56

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 20:56
hi, are currently in pooncarrie, have been to broken hill, white cliffs, silverton etc and they havent been a problem so far. cheers mm.
AnswerID: 456181

Reply By: alli - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 21:16

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 21:16
Ok where do I start, we have travelled through the Flinders Ranges, up to Arkaroola then across to Leigh Creek (great caravan park) up the Oodnadatta Track into Coober Pedy up to Uluru then to Alice and spent the last 5 days at the West Macdonnell Ranges and there are mice EVERYWHERE!!!! We are in a camper trailer and word of warning we have had the drain hose chewed full of holes which was annoying but not unbeatable. There are no stopping them mate. I caught about 30 the other night in two traps in approximately an hour and a half even caught 2 in the one trap twice.

I have had them climbing up my legs while I sat in the annexe in a caravan park in Alice Springs. Dont let them stop you travelling, if you wait for them to be gone you will never come out here. They don't come out till dusk really, and as long as you have all your food in plastic containers, don't leave rubbish around and ALWAYS do up the doors on your tent/camper you will be fine.

Come and enjoy it, the beauty and wonder of it all is worth any mice plague.

Al, Dan, Max and Zoe Solomon
AnswerID: 456184

Follow Up By: Rose B - Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:48

Monday, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:48
Hi Alli - I'm about to almost do the same trip with my family and I'm shocked to hear about the mice - sand, heat, floods I've heard about but haven't heard much about mice - what do you do when in a tent with so many mice around??? My kids are going to freak!!! Any suggestions - thought the cold nights might keep them at bay??? Do they eat through tents? And do they get into trailers?? Haven't really paid this much attention to the critters before but I am astounded at the conversations on this topic... I have to pay attention... we are leaving in two weeks....
Thanks for any suggestions... Rose
FollowupID: 730371

Follow Up By: alli - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:57
Hi Rose,

we havent had any eat through the tent thank goodness :) but yes they have been in the trailer, they come out just before dusk so as long as you keep all the doors zipped up you shouldnt have a problem. Cold nights don;t seem to worry them in the least. I have bought traps and if you put a bit of peanut butter on them you will catch them for sure.

My husband and I quite often watch them get in the traps and cheer when they do (we are wondering about what sort of people that makes us lol) my 6 year old gets most excited when he hears the traps go off now too.

we have had them eat through the grey water pipe from the sink too, so would suggest that you pack it away at night which is a pain but better than having them climbing up inside and eating their way out.

Only other thing is bring an enormous amount of warm bedding mate as we have had quite few nights at minus 2 and believe me this is nasty in the tent.

Hope that helps

Alli
FollowupID: 730726

Follow Up By: Rose B - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 22:53
Hi Alli - thanks for that we are almost travelling the same route in 11 days - I really have to stop thinking about these mice - we are staying in a tent so hopefully it won't be chewed through - its a ripstop material not canvas so I'm hoping that I haven't bought the wrong one.....
just wondering where you stayed at the West Mac Ranges.. will definitely have a great time no matter what the mices are doing....

Cheers

Rose
FollowupID: 730742

Follow Up By: alli - Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:54

Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:54
Hey Rose,

we camped at Red Bank Gorge and it was fabulous. Stay at the first campground you come to, Woodlands from memory. There are 13 or so camp sites spread out around a large area, lots of bush in between so even if there is someone else there (we were there 4 nights and I think there was 4 other lots of campers there during that time and we couldnt see or hear each other) it cost us $7.70 per night (family rate for 2 adults and up to 4 kids) there are gas barbeques with 2 hot plates at each camp site and they are FREE and pit toilets within easy walking distance. It was quite the best place we have stayed really, no showers but you know for the price we didnt care.

If you have a toilet then there is a beautiful camp beside the Finke River, with the turn off almost directly opposite the Glen Helen Resort turn off, four wheel drive track to get in and again no showers and this camp ground is free.

You can go into Glen Helen Gorge to have a look and walk without camping there and the walk at Red Bank up the Gorge is good. If you drive past the turn off for Red Bank, (25kms or there abouts from memory, they are doing roadworks there) there is a turn off on your left to Roma Gorge, where there are aboriginal rock carvings dating back 8000years that are worth a look at. You drive up the river/creek bed (4wd) took us about 40 mins then you walk in, easy walk about 200metres then you get to the rocks. When you walk around and look there are LOTS of carvings if you look around. Definitely worth a look it is quite amazing, not well known either.

Hope that helps. Have a great time :)

Allison
FollowupID: 730948

Follow Up By: alli - Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:55

Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:55
Hey Rose,

we camped at Red Bank Gorge and it was fabulous. Stay at the first campground you come to, Woodlands from memory. There are 13 or so camp sites spread out around a large area, lots of bush in between so even if there is someone else there (we were there 4 nights and I think there was 4 other lots of campers there during that time and we couldnt see or hear each other) it cost us $7.70 per night (family rate for 2 adults and up to 4 kids) there are gas barbeques with 2 hot plates at each camp site and they are FREE and pit toilets within easy walking distance. It was quite the best place we have stayed really, no showers but you know for the price we didnt care.

If you have a toilet then there is a beautiful camp beside the Finke River, with the turn off almost directly opposite the Glen Helen Resort turn off, four wheel drive track to get in and again no showers and this camp ground is free.

You can go into Glen Helen Gorge to have a look and walk without camping there and the walk at Red Bank up the Gorge is good. If you drive past the turn off for Red Bank, (25kms or there abouts from memory, they are doing roadworks there) there is a turn off on your left to Roma Gorge, where there are aboriginal rock carvings dating back 8000years that are worth a look at. You drive up the river/creek bed (4wd) took us about 40 mins then you walk in, easy walk about 200metres then you get to the rocks. When you walk around and look there are LOTS of carvings if you look around. Definitely worth a look it is quite amazing, not well known either.

Allison
FollowupID: 730949

Follow Up By: alli - Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:55

Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 18:55
Hey Rose,

Allison
FollowupID: 730950

Follow Up By: Rose B - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:21

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:21
Hi Alli - thanks for all that fantastic information - do you suggest to camp at Red Bank or Glen Helen - don't mind the no showers bit - figure it's all part of roughing it... my boys certainly don't mind!! No surprises there!!!

Do you suggest coming from Kings Canyon and uluru or should be go from Alice Springs, then West MacD, then Kings canyon & Uluru. Camping by the Finke River sounds beautiful... probably too many places to camp really... anyway let me know your ideas.... appreciate your thoughts...

When you say if you have a toilet do you mean that you can't dig a hole - sorry I'm not sure about these things - is there some etiquette in the outback for toilet matters!!!

Just another question - how many days would you suggest spending in the West Mac Ranges and is it worth having a central camp for that time to check the area out - as we have a trailer and if we do any off road travel we need to leave the trailer. Apparently that is the case when we go to Palm Valley/Finke Gorge.

Still working on my itinerary to the Oodnadatta track and about to start packing... getting really exciting around here... with a little pressure as time is passing so quickly...

Thanks so much. Rose

Thanks again... Rose
FollowupID: 731047

Follow Up By: Rose B - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:27

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:27
Hi again Alli - just wondering how much water you allowed as you travelled the Oodnadatta track - did you find water was easy to come by?

Thanks again... Rose
FollowupID: 731049

Follow Up By: alli - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 15:20

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 15:20
Hi rose,

personally I would be camping at Red Bank over Glen Helen, you do get showers at Glen Helen but the camp area at Red Bank is MUCH nicer and cheaper. About digging holes to go to the loo, out next to the Finke not really any cover to go behind if you get my meaning also Dingoes will dig up any hole you do your business in so maybe not a good idea.

I forgot to mention there are fire pits at Red Bank and believe me you will want a fire. You can't collect firewood around Red Bank but up the river bed on the way into Roma Gorge there is HEAPS, burns beautifully and easy to collect. We headed out from Redbank and looked at Glen Helen, Finke and Roma leaving our trailer set up. We also called in at Big Ellery campground but saw too many mice (was only the middle of the day!!!) so decided not to camp here.

On the way back to Alice we called in at Ormiston which is beautiful, you can camp here too, quite small sites and very close together but there are showers. Also the ochre pits which are pretty amazing.

We chose to leave Uluru and drive back to Alice then head out to West McDonnell Ranges, we were over the tourists to tell you the truth and had heard from a number of people that Kings Canyon was worse than Uluru. Dan and I went to Kings Canyon before the kids on a trip we did on the bike so we werent too fussed. Plenty of people do it either way. There are permits required if you do one of the tracks from Kings Canyon round to Alice not sure of the details though.

We have an 80 litre water tank and carried 2x 15 litre spring water things from Purity, we used the whole tank and one 15 litre at the McDonnell Ranges and that was 4.5-5 days. As long as you camp at a caravan park every few days you can fill up with water, we havent found it an issue.

When do you leave???
How long are you away for???
It's most exciting and great fun :)

Allison
(Hot Water Bottles are a must for us too)
FollowupID: 731062

Follow Up By: Rose B - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 21:44

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 21:44
Hi Alli

We leave this Saturday bright and early (myself, hubby and three kids) - straight for Mildura and camp overnight - will be the first time we set up the tent and camping stuff so if we forget anything can buy it in Mildura. Will then stop Rawnsley Station for two nights - do the Skytrek 4WD trip and then head off to Lake Eyre and the Oodnadatta track. Hopefully camp at one of the camps near the Lake Muloorina Station or Halligan Bay... not sure yet. Mabey there are less mice in these areas!!! Then we will travel the Oodnadatta track for 2 days ending at Oodnadatta - hoping to cut throught the Painted Desert to the Stuart Highway - then going to either Alice Springs or else Uluru not sure which way yet as we have two older kids flying to Alice and hiring a car so don't want to be too far from them when they arrive. want to explore Kings Canyon, West Mac Ranges and the Olgas. Sounds alot but hope to manage all that in three weeks... We will return via the Stuart Highway stopping at Coober Pedy overnight. I think it is doable.....should be awesome....Any suggestions??
Rose
FollowupID: 731120

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 22:26

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 22:26
You can earn $$ out Jackson Oil Fields. They have cut the top off a 1000lt water crate. Over night they guess how many mice will be caught. The next day John won $100.
Rats are huge too!!!!!
AnswerID: 456192

Reply By: gwezza - Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 22:32

Thursday, Jun 02, 2011 at 22:32
Yes we have recently been in ALice Springs, West & East Macdonnell Ranges, Rainbow Valley & down to Coober Pedy, lots of mice all the way. Not too much you can do about them
AnswerID: 456193

Reply By: Member - Chris and Lindsay (VI - Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:04

Saturday, Jun 04, 2011 at 20:04
Thanks everyone. We aren't sooks but have been to most places named a number of times so might just wait till next year assuming it won't happen all over again. Cheers, Chris.
AnswerID: 456386

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 21:00

Sunday, Jun 05, 2011 at 21:00
Talking to a bloke last night up at Innamincka, via HF radio - said there were heaps of meeces around Moomba - everywhere on everything, at night. Ugh.
AnswerID: 456502

Reply By: Member - Alex (SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:12

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:12
Plenty of Mice around Marree and Roxby Downs last weekend.

We were OK in our roof top tent but friends sleeping in swags found it pretty annoying having them crawl over them all night.

When we made dinner one night, I put the empty camp oven on the ground with the lid on and after about 1 min shone a torch on it and there were already 5 mice on it.

Keep your campsite clean, doors shut and don't take food into your tent would be my advice.
AnswerID: 457630

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:30

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:30
well, the Great Victora Desert st be the place to be then, no mice here. :-)
AnswerID: 457802

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:31

Saturday, Jun 18, 2011 at 14:31
" must" be the place to be..

should check before i submit hey... lol
FollowupID: 731051

Sponsored Links