Aboriginal Lands Permits - Totally Unhappy! I mean, REALLY UNHAPPY!

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 03:14
ThreadID: 87614 Views:7051 Replies:20 FollowUps:73
This Thread has been Archived
All, I am so over the hassles about these!

And...I know that the issue has been raised before...But....

Yes, I'll do the 'right thing' as I'm about to embark on a remote are trip from WA to Bourke and back thru the Simpson and the WA remote desert tracks.

This is what I/we have to put up with:

"To travel this track (and this is only one of the tracks I have to get a permit for) , a minimum of three separate Aboriginal permits will be required. Two for Western Australia, one for travelling from Warakurna along the Great Central Road to the Sandy Blight Junction Track turn off, one permit travelling the Sandy Blight Junction Track while in Western Australia and another permit for travelling the Sandy Blight Junction Track while in the Northern Territory and on to Kintore. Depending on which way you will be travelling from Kintore, you will then require further permits from the below Aboriginal bodies. The two bodies that handle the Permits are:...and on and on.............................................."

And when you try to one of the contact said 'bodies' it has to be by snail mail.

That's not on anymore.!!

I do respect Aboriginal interests. I haven't climbed, and won't climb Uluru for instance. And.... I understand why they're concerned to know about how many people are 'out there' and how to manage the impacts.

But... the bureaucracy of it all is getting me really unhappy!!! Big time. And, I assume, that the people who pay to keep these tracks open are not the people who are laying on the bureaucracy trowel. I am assuming, that.. it's me and you!!!

So, I am not going to put up with this crap anymore.

I'm going to press for Gov't to cease providing funding for any 'closed' roads, unless they're fully user recovered, or become open access. Or...applications for permits becomes easy. Like, really easy - electronically.

So. I for one am happy to start an 'anti permits' campaign. I shouldn't have to - where are the national 4WD lobbies on this?????

Provided there's a groundswell of like minded concerned, increasingly locked out, 4WD'rs who will support me....

Note. Rednecks need not apply! I'm only interested in a progessive debate to influence better outcomes.

Best.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 03:55

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 03:55
personally I have much bigger issues with pastoral leases

- they are not owned like aboriginal land but are crown land
- there is no permit system
- they effect much larger areas
- alot more different bodys are involved in tying up those aeas
AnswerID: 460144

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:58

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:58
.....for example Mt.Connor.
FollowupID: 733780

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:34

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:34
BUT ...... they pay there way and earn an income off that land, maintain it and protect it.......
They dont get massive amounts of funding, they want a road they have have to build it and they maintain them, they even grade some of the roads that tourists use at there own cost, yet they contract for work also but that is bussiness, they earn there way.
I support land rights and land handback BUT when the land is handed over then the owner or at least the person who occupys it MUST pay for maintenance and repairs and be fully responsible for it's maintenance, if you have the land and a village or houses on it then you pay for new houses and maintaining the old ones, you lease a station you have to...
I have issues with roads that are CLOSED yet thousands are spent on maintaining them from the tax paid from the people that the roads are closed to..
FollowupID: 733784

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:38

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:38
Hi Joe n Mel n Kids

Hi
In your reply you made this comment:-

"I support land rights and land handback........... "

Before you think that I am raciest, I have many Aboriginal friends, some trying to get handback of land south of Cooper Pedy, but was knocked out of the courts as they did not have regular contact with the said land.

Now what do you thing of this big joke.

The local Ngarrindjeri people are trying to get the whole of Kangaroo Island under Native Title, yet they have had no contact with the Island for Hundreds of years.

White people have lived permanently on KI for well over 200 years and there was never any Aboriginal people living on the Island when the first white person set foot on the Island in 1802.

Yes there were Aboriginal women on the Island, but were kidnapped as comfort women, and slaves for the sealer's and whalers on the Island. These women were from tribes as far away as Tasmania and local Ngarrindjeri women.

Yes there are Dream time stories related to the Island and they referred to it as the Land of the Dead.

If this is the case with no permanent occupation to the Island for well over 200 years, why should Australian Tax payers have to pay for the lengthy court claim for them to "Claim Kangaroo Island"

Sure there are many worth while claim, but this one should never see the front door of our courts.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 733792

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:13

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:13
Hey Stephen i fully back you on that, i support "land rights & hand-backs" as i said BUT, only if they have a genuine right to it and wish to maintain it at there own expence and CARE for it, most of the land claims only ever spring up when there is some form of free "money" to be taken from it, the bigger amounts (mining royaltys) then the bigger the fights as to who "owns" it, you should see how many turn up for the meetings when it involves some mine yet when it is a spot that has no future for mining, tourism or the likes then it seems to only be the old people that genuineally want it back, the "catch cry" out here is "wealth creation" from the mining royaltys, we have some white lawers and companys that are "creating wealth" for the people, throwing money at them with training that is not worth the paper it is written on, throwing them is business and wondering why it is not working, the ones behind it are getting very rich and helping to source and control more land rights ..............
It is hard, i sometimes think the only way it will all stop is GIVE it to them, all full rights, titels and ownership (and rate em) and the greedy will then turn around and sell it, i know they will because most dont care about the land only the money, when sold it will then be managed properly...... the ones that care deeply about the land will never sell at any cost and respect it...
Cheers
FollowupID: 733829

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 16:50

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 16:50
"Yes there were Aboriginal women on the Island, but were kidnapped as comfort women, and slaves for the sealer's and whalers on the Island.
These women were from tribes as far away as Tasmania and local Ngarrindjeri women."

There is a link then,i find it unbelievable that there weren't any men at the time,I'd find it more believable that they were asked to leave or ran at the end of a barrel of a gun or guns,not that they would want to stay there any longer than had to be after what the white men would have put them through..(The word Comfort Girls, makes it sound all so right doesn't it,...Not)

The word COMFORT just doesn't sit right with me anymore..After watching many War docs, even the Japs took Chinese women for the own personal Comfort in the early 40's (Nanking)....

Then when i am out i pull up at a so called Comfort Station (Toilet)..A place of relief...Its all disgusting really when you associate it to the above,It may have been acceptable in the early feral 1800's but you wouldn't expect it in the 1940's...

Anyway Steve its just my thoughts mate and not trying to have a go at your reply whatsoever...

Cheers
FollowupID: 733842

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:37

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:37
Hi River Swaggie

Have a read of my Coorong Trek Notes. The group of Law Less men were escaped convicts and American Sealers and whalers. They would often makes raids across the waters under the cover of darkness and kidnap women and young girls, often with the death of other tribal men who would try and protect their women. There were some instances where the women did go peacefully and were returned to their tribes, but this was not very common.

Because of these early raids, The Ngarrindjeri people became very fierce and hostile towards the first white peaceful men that tried to make contact with the Aboriginal people of the Coorong, the end result of them being speared to death. They were so fierce, that the first success contact with white men were the Aboriginal men from other tribes. These men would then be sent ahead to make contact, while the white men stayed a very safe distance until advised it was then safe to meet these people. The hardest part was to gain there trust, seeing what had happened to them at the end of guns and swords.

This is just one chapter of our shameful past that like many locations around Australia, put the Aboriginal people at odds from the very start.

I used the words comfort women, as it sounded better than sexual slaves. Many of the women tried to escape, but where could they go.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733851

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:15

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:15
Hi get outmore

So if you rented a state housing commission house, you think we should be allowed to come in and use your bathroom and have a barbecue in your back yard?

"get outmore replied:
personally I have much bigger issues with pastoral leases

- they are not owned like aboriginal land but are crown land
- there is no permit system
- they effect much larger areas
- a lot more different bodies are involved in tying up those areas"

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 733863

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 23:02

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 23:02
hardly the same thing

just for starters you rent the place for exclusive tenancy

a pastoral lease is a lease on vegetation on which to feed cows it doesnt give exclusive rights and the land can be leased for other purposes at the same time

I have seen you post you have no issues camping on pastoral leases without the owners knowledge

so i wouldnt be pulling me up on my post
FollowupID: 733908

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:10

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:10
Yes g-o-m, and i recall we have had this conversation before. A lease is a lease be it pastoral or a house in town, and rights to privacy are protected by law. But this is all off topic for JB's thread.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733958

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 00:18

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 00:18
agreed rights to privacy are protected such as all infrastructure houses, runways sheds stock troughs etc

but that is a tiny % of the lease

most of my work has been on leases that include pastoral leases

because its just that - a pastoral lease which does n ot preclude other uses

as in no right to expect to do so either
FollowupID: 733998

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 18:47
Hi get outmore, just so others are not mislead:

"Entry on to pastoral lease land without the pastoral lessee's authority or permission is trespassing."

Image Could Not Be Found

Extract from Pastoral Lease Access

This document pertains to the Kimberley leases, but they are no different to other WA pastoral leases. Similar applies in other states.

If you are referring to mining leases, the same applies on private land. I'm sure i have mentioned before that we have had freehold properties pegged for mining (which fortunately did not eventuate) on several occasions. We our powerless to prevent this on private land.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734031

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 21:45

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 21:45
Exactly dead right
- proving my original point

aboriginal land access issues are nothing compared to the issues with pasoral leases when it comes to locking out masive swathes of the country

from the link

224,000 square kilometres of Kimberley land has been tenured as pastoral lease, that is the land has been classified primarily for the grazing of stock. Members of the public do not have open access to this land.

and just in case you missed it

224,000 square kilometres of Kimberley land

locked out to provide the indonesions with live cattle
FollowupID: 734057

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:56
Yes, as per the WA Land Use link i gave somewhere in this thread, much of the land suitable for agriculture and grazing has been tied up. There are large tracts of 'unoccupied' land - mostly in the central deserts. We are the lucky country with open space. Imagine going to Europe or Asia and expecting to find large tracts of public access land - you won't find much, if any.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734075

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:50
I guess much of my frustration comes from living in the goldfields where there was no shortage of land to discover new tracks

it wasnt till I travelled to so called "remote" areas that I was confronted with all the go away or die signs

FollowupID: 734087

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 13:57
I can understand your frustration get outmore. We are lucky in Australia, but it may only be a matter of time until we no longer have the vasts tracts of wilderness open to us. Same with our beaches - we expect and want them to be there for us all always. So different in smaller and more populated countries.

The need to obtain permission or a permit (much the same thing) has become part of travelling in inland Australia.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734093

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:42

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:42
John, I agree absolutely.

I am also in the throes of obtaining permits for a similar route to yours.
Even the simplest and very common route of the Great Central Road requiring a permit from Laverton to the WA/NT border is frustrating. It is issued online but you must choose between transit of 'less than 3 days' whereupon it can be issued immediately, or 'more than 3 days' whereupon the application "must be referred to the aboriginal community which could take a number of weeks and is not guaranteed." This is simply unreasonable as the permit is issued for specific days and it is impossible to be certain of your itinerary some 5 weeks and 5000km ahead of time. If a permit system is employed it must be reasonable.

Like you John, I respect aboriginal interests including the Uluru climb. However the provisions for aboriginals in Australia is verging on racial segregation as in apartheid. I do not believe that is the way to progress the Australian nation. Certainly the aboriginal settlements are private communities and entry may be by invitation but it is unreasonable to restrict travel on public roads by persons on private activity.

I will join you in a campaign for improvement in this matter. It will not be easy and possibly the way is to convince a national 4WD organization to lead the charge. Perhaps a start could be made right here on ExplorOz with a "Poll" followed if appropriate with an downloadable petition. (Note that 'electronic' petitions are not accepted, it must be on paper and signed with full name and address)

I agree about "rednecks". It is no good ranting and raving about these matters. They must be dealt with using logic, compromise, and cogent argument.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 460158

Follow Up By: Member - hopbush - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:42

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:42
Allan and John....I have travelled these tracks and roads in WA and the NT and was likewise initially frustrated by the "3 day transit" and relevant dates (I came from Brisbane), but I also found that the permits officer for Indigineous Affairs in Alice Springs was very obliging and decent to deal with in regards to variations in dates and travel times. I actually phoned her as I was parked on the boundary of one Aboriginal community, outside my permit dates, and she gave me the clearance to proceed. I really didn't have too much touble with permits apart from the issuing time frame and considered them just one aspect of the trip planning.
But I do agree that a 3 day transit time in WA is ridiculous....21 days in the NT is far more sensible.
I guess if we are driving through someones backyard we have to do it on their terms and conditions.
Tony
FollowupID: 733786

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:48

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:48
Yes Tony, provided that those 'terms and conditions' are reasonable and workable.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733788

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:24

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:24
The three day window, when trying to predict travel times is not workable. For the NT side they allow a three week window.

See a previous thread if you can find it where this topic came up, and our member at Tjukayirla Roadhouse had discussion with a contact in the Ngaanyatjarra land council.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733831

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:20

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:20
Well, having obtained a GCR permit for the three days of 20,21 & 22 October I had reason to revise my itinerary and reapplied for 23, 24 & 25th October. The online site immediately identified that I had already been issued with a permit and withheld issuing another "pending consideration" or something.
Lo and behold within 12 hours I received an emailed permit for the 2nd time frame so I now have two permits covering a six day period. Both permits do contain an expression that travel permit dates may be adjusted by contacting the Permit Officer by telephone. That may be another justification for my satphone! LOL

I am beginning to get the gist of this permit thing!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733992

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:46

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:46
Hi Allan; you must be planning with precision! When we left Alice Springs, i got a permit for a three week window for the NT side, then concerned we may spend longer sightseeing, went back and without saying i already had one, just got another for the next three weeks. As it was, we were well into the second one. Unable to predict the follow on times for WA, i arranged to fax the application from Yulara, getting the permit the next morning as we were leaving. We just had to be sure we faxed it no later than a Thursday for the 24 hour turn around in Ngaanyatjarra office hours; we would have been stuck if it was a weekend and Yulara CP is not a spot i would relish waiting in.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733995

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 00:07
Yes MH, We much prefer to be spontaneous (I was going to say extemporaneous but didn't know how to spell it, lol) but on this leg we are on a very tight time-frame and will be transiting only without sightseeing. Nevertheless my precise itinerary may fall apart and hence the concern about constrained permit times both here and in general. However we had to start with some sort of plan!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733997

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:30

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:30
Hi John

You have me on your side for this one, a real joke when applying.

Cheers

Stephen

ps, have great trip.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 460161

Reply By: workhorse - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:33
In instances like this there is no doubt a distinction between the people who wish to have the permits in place (the Aboriginal communities) and the bureaucracy that administers it.
It might be safe to assume that those wanting the permits would prefer the system streamlined as well so at least the monies you pay for the permits could go straight into their accounts via internet than waiting for snail mail.

I think all of us are tired and angry with the idiocy of large disorganised organisations (Telstra, local government, etc) that we have to deal with regularly.

Maybe it's a case of not shooting the messenger, but trying to separate these issues as often this debate can be hijacked by other interests that have different agendas which have no real concern with what is being discussed here; ie respecting people's land, allowing fair access at a fair price and it being done in a reasonable time frame.
Michael
AnswerID: 460162

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:14

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:14
There are just too many levels of "government" across what we want to do including disperate Aboriginal groups. If 4wd'ers were truely valued a higher tier of Government would step in to facilitate some co-ordination etc. For most of us we don't have the time and/or the knowledge to work our way through the mire of administration etc that must be satisfied inorder to gain permits. Just too hard eh!
I am not opposed to the requirements for permits, these are understood, but hey how hard does it have to be?

I think it's time for the Feds to provide some solution, perhaps fund an agency or the like to act as a issuer on behalf of all the stakeholders. If that fails then I reckon there's a job for an enterprising person to set up a brokering business and to undertake this work on behalf of the applicant? Perhaps one of the large 4wd clubs? Could also provide some additional advocacy on the subject as well?

Just my thoughts.
AnswerID: 460166

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:21

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:21
........"I reckon there's a job for an enterprising person to set up a brokering business and to undertake this work on behalf of the applicant."...........

Now that's innovative thinking Leigh. I for one would pay for such a service.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733791

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:53

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:53
a 'one stop shop'.... a great idea!
FollowupID: 733795

Follow Up By: Member - John G- Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:31

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:31
G'day Folks

I support the idea of a central agency to manage the permits; perhaps the State office of the relevant federal department, or the NRMA, RACV, RAC etc..There's a reasonable chance that motoring organisations would be up to date with road conditions.

I'd have no problem paying a nominal levy to support such a service, although it'd be more valid for local indigenous bodies to pay the central body to collect monies and issue permits on their behalf. An issue might be though, that local bodies provide employment.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 733819

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:55

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:55
Fantastic idea guys but there are already some set up to attempt to adress those problems, the "Land Councils" were set up and FUNDED by us for just that, to broker all the issues that were not being handled properly, and they have all failed, look at Northern Land Council, Central Land Council, there are "Land" councils everyware and there job is to do just that and, well they simply are NOT doing it, MILLIONS have been injected into some of these to adress those very problems and it just has not worked.... and millions has gone to the wind also..
yep i really am not sure how to fix it but re doing what has already been done wont work..
Cheers
FollowupID: 733822

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:56

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:56
It has often occurred to me that we have an apartheid system. Look at the 'no go' areas on a map of oz.

I do understand the sensibilities of indigenous aussies, but they can travel through the rest of oz without permits....
AnswerID: 460169

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 12:10

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 12:10
Hi all.

Thks for your responses on this. And I am heartened by the tone. Usually this topic floats over to a land rights debate. What I am on about is getting a sensible balance between the broader rights of everyone to have access to at least transit through remote country and the rights of Traditional Owners to manage their country.

As more and more people are getting out into these lands, the solution on the part of the TOs seems to be to lock away some tracks (most recently Calvert Range and Carnarvon Range) and hope the problem goes away. Or put rigmarole processes in the way.

But the problem not going to go away. It is going to get worse. And lockouts will become less acceptable as pressures for access increase with more and more travellers on the tracks. Eventually this will become a numbers game and the numbers will win. They always do.

So we need to find a way that manages and respects the lands, and provides more systematic access.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 460170

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:50

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:50
G'day John Baas

You raise a very valid point regarding the Indigenous Land Access permit system and again you are very close to hitting the proverbial nail smack on the head about it only getting worse in the (near) future.

With the tract of land that was called "Rudall River National Park" now officially handed back to the regions traditional land owners the ~ Martu People ~ of the Western Deserts and its now called "Karlamilyi" ~ this in its self is a good outcome for the Martu People, but it is going to impact on the people intending on visiting the region, as there will be new "rules" set in place for access and visitation. This was a statement made directly to me by a Senior Martu Aboriginal Elder, only a week or so ago.

Also with the granting of mining permits for the extraction of Uranium, by the Canadian mining giant CAMECO in the Kintyre region 60 kms south of Telfer, I would guess the free access as it has been into the Rooney Valley ~ Geologically a Glacial flow area ~ is going to be restricted or possibly severely regulated, yes some might see this a progress and all things wonderful, but with a proposed mine life of 15 years and somewhere around 6 to 8 million pounds in weight of this poisonous crap being mined in that time, I sure as hell do not see anything wonderful about it.

To end my little contribution there will be more restrictions placed on the touring public in the close future, simply because the mining lobby has the goverments ear, we are already being locked out of areas that were "open access" this time last year. Progress my Arse, just GREED!!!!

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

In OUR lifetime

Safe travells:
FollowupID: 733833

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:01

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:01
I believe that if a road is marked on a map like the GCR then a permit should not be required but in cases of these isolated roads contact with some authority like the police should be made for the travellers own safety.
AnswerID: 460179

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:22

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 13:22
Some years ago I went through all that ( all the required permits) to do the GCR, NT and Kimberley and I never was stopped by anybody or asked by anybody once if I had any permits for the whole journey...Perth to Alice Springs to Kakadu, Arnhem Land, GRR, Cape Leveque etc etc.....even the Mereenie Loop, which required a one day pass that had to be applied for, purchased and used that day only ( I used mine the next day, heh heh).....BUT as I said NOT once was I asked for any of them.
One Arm Point I had to pay a fee just to be there and look around which took some searching to find the office so that I could pay the money and to be really honest they could care less if I had one or not.

So I have to ask the question, " if you did not get any permit what can happen to you ?..... a huge fine, death by firing squad, imprisonment without parole, confiscation of vehicle and all assets including wife and children....Now there's a thought.

To be honest I am tempted to go and do the same journey and not bother with any of that stuff EXCEPT for the state government landcare ones. ( I have a yearly parks pass every year)
AnswerID: 460183

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:36

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:36
So I have to ask the question, " if you did not get any permit what can happen to you ?..... a huge fine, death by firing squad, imprisonment without parole, confiscation of vehicle and all assets including wife and children....Now there's a thought

Two blokes up here in the north of W.A. were not long ago were bashed severely with weapons as reported in the court because they were found on Aboriginal Land just looking for a fishing spot after work and did not know they were in the restricted area. The two elders said it was their right to defend the land and white fella law did not apply to them.
I could tell you a lot of one sided happenings after twenty plus years in the north but I would sound racist even though they are true. A lovely harmonious cross section it's not.
FollowupID: 733868

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:07

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:07
Yes I hear that sought of crap all the time....you know, a friend of an uncle's cousins mother in law whose brother rant rave etc....all bull the enth degree.

In all my travels I always found the indigenous folks to be very friendly and always accommodating and so I do not believe your story one bit.

As a matter of fact I would trust them before I would trust you.

And so I wonder WHO gets the money we pay for some of these permits ....I don't think the locals get it.
FollowupID: 733874

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:41

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:41
Next time you VISIT up this way, mail me and I'll take you around and drop you off to see another side that is not even reported on and bring your diapers. I cannot go into detail here but my wife and I work in the field and are among the first in the middle of the night or day getting calls to help clean up the horrific mess. I never said everybody is the same, just as I have met more white aholes than any other colour like yourself who somehow thinks I have no trust from a paragraph. I can search the net and send you the court details if you would like a substantial wager for my efforts as you say I am not to be trusted. How about a good five figure wager for my troubles if you are so sure. Visiting and living north australia are totally different.
FollowupID: 733882

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:58

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 20:58
First of all....we want to avoid any sought of bashing or negative opinion concerning indigenous population.

The subject at hand is about the freedom to access this great land without the need of permits etc.

I think it is a shame that we have have to permission to just to be able to travel anywhere we want to in this great land at all.

In some cases it is necessary....ie army, navy, restricted areas, etc......and I am not against land rights or ownership......but to always have to get permission for permissions sake is totally unnecessary.
It could be done better.

So let's talk about permits WITHOUT people bashing.

As I have already said, I got all the permits and the permission necessary in respect to tribal lands and in all my travels ,no one and I mean NO ONE ask to see them....not one.

However in this great state of WA you can purchase an "all parks pass" for a one up yearly fee and this gives you access to all national parks for a year.

Now why can't there be a yearly "all indigenous parks pass" with a yearly fee and this would make it simpler.

FollowupID: 733893

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 16:29

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 16:29
Hi Redbakk

How much was the fee at One Arm Point? Similarly there is a visitor fee payable at Kalumburu.

The majority of transit permits are without charge. There are no specific routes which require Aboriginal lands transit permits to be pre-arranged in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria or Tasmania; these are only found for Western Australia, Northern Territory and South Australia. Here in WA we seem to have the hardest system to work with (short travel window and long lead time in some areas).

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734189

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 23:31

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 23:31
Sorry for the delay in answering you MH.....just arrived back from Bali.....from memory when I finally found the office, I think is was about $12...but I will have to check my travel diary.....will let you know for sure.
FollowupID: 734712

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 23:38

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2011 at 23:38
Thanks Redbakk. I hope you enjoyed Bali. Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734713

Reply By: Dawg13 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:21

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:21
My thoughts on this ?
If you are born in this great country you shouldn't need any permit to visit and explore it regardless of the colour of your skin.
We are all equal Australians once we are born here (or so we should be) and regardless of background and colour this land is ours to live on and look after.
It disappoints and frustrates me when i cant go into parts of this land, especially when i am employed in the ADF to protect it and its interests...

Good luck John and i fully support your thoughts and i am sure alot of others i live and work with would do the same.

(P.S. I am currently based in remote NT so i know exactly what you are frustrated about).
AnswerID: 460191

Reply By: Nigel Migraine - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:31

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 14:31
John: I share your frustration and am inclined to support you however I'm not sure if I'm eligible - you said, "Note. Rednecks need not apply!".

I'm unsure what you mean by that, would you please clarify?

NM
AnswerID: 460194

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:03

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:03
Hi NM.

The problem with previous threads on and around this topic is that they quickly turned into a 'bash the Aboriginals' theme. I was trying to discourage people with such a bent off the thread. Not that there's anything I could do to stop it.

What I was seeking is people's views on the issue of remote area acess per se in the context of TO's legal entitlements as land custodians.

It's turned out a good thread. Some useful points being made.

I might have a go at progressing my views with authorities once I get back from my trip end Sept.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 733845

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:41

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:41
I agree this is a great thread, and the bashing is very minimal
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733853

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:18

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 15:18
Hi John

Which ones can't you do on line? The CLC in NT has it all over the DIA in WA for on line permits within 24 hours. Commonly travelled routes such as the Great Central are no problem, but lesser used ones such as Sandy Blight Junction and Gary Junction where there are delays which can be in excess of three weeks is not really workable for the touring traveller. These can all be applied for and sent to you on line. I raised the issue with the WA Minister for Indigenous Affairs after our Gary Junction permit fiasco in 2009 and i had hoped his investigation and directive would have improved the system - maybe not?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 460198

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:09

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:09
Hi MH.

The permit for the Mereeni Loop in the NT are not available online according to the permits section on this Forum, and according to other web sources.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 733846

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:11

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:11
OK John, that is one, but it can be purchased from a variety of sources from which ever direction you are entering the road. I did not mention it above as I didn’t know it was on your agenda.

"A Mereenie Loop (between Hermannsburg and Kings Canyon) permit costs $2.20 per car to cover the cost of the brochure, and this can be purchased at the Alice Springs tourist office, Hermannsburg, Glen Helen or Kings Canyon Resort. This permit is not available on line." Extract from Australia So Much to See - Permits

As far as I can ascertain, permits for Maralinga Tjautja Lands and Woomera Prohibited Area also cannot be done on line.
Maralinga Permits

I am not aware of any other ones, so would be pleased to know if I have missed any.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733861

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:02

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 22:02
Mereenie permit for $2.20, that would be nice. Got ripped off at Kings Canyon Resort where we got charged $5 a couple of years ago. Sure it's a small amount but the principle....... Besides the road is as rough as the both times we've done it....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733902

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:09

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:09
Hi again MH.

The situation since I posted is that:

The Mereeni Loop can't be done on line, as above.
I have the SA side permits via CLC on-line facility - super easy.
I have applied via an exchange of emails and scanned docs to Alice Springs for the WA side tracks, but have had to nominate a 3 day window approximately 7 weeks out as this is on our return leg. There is only a very small chance we'll be able to stick to that window, so technically, we'll be illegal.

I now think I have overcooked the post a bit. It is unsatisfactory that I can't organise all permits prior to travels but as you point out, it's not insurmoutable once in the vicinity. And it would be much better if the WA side permits could be done same as the SA side. But overall, the task has been cluncky but not impossible. And I didn't have to resort to stamps as I had (erroneously) feared.

I still think that the whole system is fundamentally flawed and needs an overhaul, as also indicated by a number of posters.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 733938

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:13

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:13
Hi Warrie and yes, Voyages did have on huge profit margin on that one. People we met were charged $5 per person at Kings Canyon Resort, where we paid $2.20 per car. I hope it is better since the change of ownership of the resort.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733960

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:29

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:29
Hi John, yes CLC has it all over DIA. The three day window is unworkable for travellers, so getting to either end of the road on week days and applying then seems to be the only way. Even harder to predict a window for the Gary Junction road and others when you have to apply several weeks ahead. Someone (not me) applied for the Sandy Blight Junction weeks ahead, and the permit had arrived when they got to Alice Springs (not sure whether they got it when they picked up snail mail or got on line) - for their nominated dates - and dated after the final date of their window! Our Gary Junction experience is another story.

Meanwhile, aside from all the red tape to get there, the people who live in the WA communities are friendly and welcoming and most probably don't know what a permit is.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733967

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:03

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:03
We recently (a few weeks ago) travelled the Mereenie Loop. Being law abiding citizens we bought our Permits from the Resort at Kings Canyon. They cost $5.50 per vehicle. Apparently from Glen Helen resort they are $5.
No one asked us to show the Permit but we had to purchase it on the day we used it and it had to be purchased by the driver.
I do hope that most of the $5.50 went to the aboriginal people.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733976

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 22:03

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 22:03
Hi Heather - i will follow that price hike up. Last time i checked and that was within this year, it was still $2.20 per car and this covers the cost of the mini brochure. Just to confirm, the $5 covered you both? Perhaps it is open slather for on-sellers to put their mark up on it. We found Glen Helen staff very accommodating, as we were heading towards Palm Valley for an uncertain time, so were given a one week window on the permit for our day of travel. The cost was the same $2.20. I purchased it, nominating my husband as driver, and they wrote both our names. We then met a couple at the nearby Mt Sonder Lookout who had been charged $5 each at Kings Canyon, and told they had to travel that very day.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733985

Follow Up By: Member - Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 07:08

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 07:08
Hi MH,

Yes it cost $5.50 in total for us (i.e. for the car) and while my husband was busy paying for it, I spoke to a woman who had travelled it a day or two earlier from the Glen Helen end and she had paid $5.

We tried to get it the afternoon before and were told we had to do it on the day of travel.

Cheers,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734002

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 18:58
Hi Heather

I will post the result of my investigation on this thread (if still current) when i get it, and will ensure that my website then reflects the correct fees. Meanwhile, ExlpolOz permits section is quoting the whole range.

"Mereenie Loop Road Permits:
Permits to travel the Mereenie Loop Road are available for FREE over the counter at the Central Land Council building in Alice Springs. They can also be obtained over the counter from the Alice Springs Visitor Information Office for $2.20; from the Glen Helen Camping Area Office at a charge of $3.00; from the Kings Canyon Resort at a charge of $5.50, and it is also available from Hermansburg (sic) at a charge of $5.50. You do get an extremely informative little booklet with your Pass no matter where you obtain it."

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734032

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:18

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:18
I agree with some of the others on this subject. PC in this country has gone mad, way beyond normal reasoning. The restraints on people traveling parts of their own country is unbelievable. The current government has now decided to tax air, soon we will need permission to fart! ( or identify the original owner, debate "ownership", and then put a fee or tax on it!)
Capt.
AnswerID: 460206

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:43

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 17:43
Followthru evidence of said fart will accrue tax
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733854

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:09

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 18:09
Make of this what you want, but as far as Im concerned you dont need permits in NT if your just travelling through on gazetted roads.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The previous Australian government made changes to how permits apply inside communities.

The main changes are that permits are not required to enter ‘common areas' (areas generally considered to be public space), or to attend a court case, inside communities.

These changes legally came into effect on 18 February 2008.

The new Australian government's policy is to abolish these changes but allow permit free access for journalists and contractors.

At this stage it is not clear when that policy might be implemented. During this interim period, the CLC requests that all visitors to Aboriginal land comply with the CLC's permit system as outlined below, notwithstanding that the legal position has changed with regard to certain community access.

Regardless of any government changes, a permit is legally required to visit any Aboriginal land outside of communities . Also see the CLC map for which access roads require a permit.

The CLC thanks all visitors for cooperation with this request of traditional owners to continue to follow the principle of asking permission before entering Aboriginal land.

If you have any questions about the permit system please contact the CLC on permits
AnswerID: 460213

Follow Up By: mullyman - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:50

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:50
The shame of all this nonsense is that as soon as the Traditional Owners are offered enough beans by a mining company,the sacred land is sold in an instant. Research the latest gas mining fiasco near Broome. Result,still no access.
FollowupID: 733883

Follow Up By: ob - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:55

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:55
Wasn't it the premier of our great state of WA that suggested compulsory acquisition of the land near Broome for the proposed gas hub if negotiation failed.
Now that's affirmative action. Just goes to show that bureaucrats can get off their collective backsides if there is enough money involved.

ob
FollowupID: 733937

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:10

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:10
Thanks Hairy.

That's very useful.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 733939

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 02:07

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 02:07
ob, and that is when the dotted line was signed..........

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 734000

Reply By: SIF4X4 - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:38

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:38
Don't bother with permits. Nobody checks them anyway.
AnswerID: 460234

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:57

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:57
could you imagine the uproar if anyone actually did stop people and check permits?
It's not hard to do the right thing.. and it's better than the alternative, if everyone held your view, which is no access at all.
maybe a brige isn't such a bad idea eh? ;-)
FollowupID: 733901

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:17

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 19:17
Hi Tjukayirla RH

Can you repeat what you wrote on the earlier thread for the benefit of those that didn't see it? The search function here doesn't work well for me.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733962

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:00

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:00
Yes certainly MH.
I'm only going from memory here, so hope all is correct.
Anyway, the gist was that we sent an email to the person within NG responsible for tourism etc, and relayed some concerns re the 3 day window, she then took that back to the council, and while she said would probably get nowhere with the 3 days just yet, did come back with the option of extending once on the lands, if you are staying at one of the Roadhouses.
So basically, if you hadn't arrived within the time frame you expected for some unforseen reason, then you could ask us to Fax off to Alice and have it extended, now that only works for if you are here, and gives an extra day or so. It doesn't change any other conditions etc..
I hope I have this right, or Serena will cut off my cake and Cookie supply for a month ( make sure you try the homebaked Cakes and Cookies here .. LOL .. )
The permit system is a minefiel, but a neccasary evil. and as i said before, they are better than the alternative..
FollowupID: 733974

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:42

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 20:42
Hi TR.

I assume you mean that the alternative is permanent road closures for routes used for transit.

This could happen I suppose but would create tremendous ill will, which will work heavily against Indigenous interests in the long run. That is, the numbers will win in the end. Too many existing and new 4WD'ers to resist.

Closing legendary tracks like the Anne Beadell, Sandy Blight, Connnie Sue etc, I don't think would be do-able and would be extremely ill advised.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 733982

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 22:18

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 22:18
Hi Tjukayirla and thanks for re-posting and for your efforts at the time. Weekends would be a problem, but it is a start.

You do say above "If you are staying at one of the roadhouses", but i hope you would not refuse use of your fax for a small fee eg the $1 charged at Yulara to those not stopping for the night at the roadhouse. Have other roadhouses been approached about offering this service?

All too often plans can change for various reasons, including weather, mechanical problems, misjudging time taken sightseeing or travelling, and all these can occur when out of phone or internet range, or even when out of range of roadhouses such as yours.

Where does the need for a permit start on the western end of the GCR? This seems to vary on different maps, and the permit itself is not clear. This affects camping also, as the permit prohibits camping except in designated areas. We were not sure where we camped was in or out of the permit area, but it was necessary because of a breakdown, although we initially stopped due to weather conditions.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733986

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:09

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:09
MH, The permit that I have today received states that it relates to "Great Central Road, Laverton to NT border, less than 3 days crossing Aboriginal land."

Together with other conditions, it also limits camping to "approved areas" unless specific permission is obtained to do otherwise. I have yet to determine where those approved areas might be.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733990

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:34

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:34
Hi Allan, mine in 2008 just said Great Central Road.

If you check the map, not all of the GCR is through Aboriginal Lands WA Land Use Map

As far as i can ascertain, authorised camping areas are at the road houses and the Docker River campground for the NT permit area (usually vandalised so nothing works). There are a number of larger rest areas and gravel pits which show plenty of evidence of campers. We spent three nights; the first at Warakurna Roadhouse so we could do the Weather Station morning tour, the second night in an area, not shown as Aboriginal Lands, when we had to stop, and the third at a large rest area nearer Laverton, again not in Aboriginal lands, so unless racing through, you need the full three days.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 733993

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:44

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 23:44
Yes MH, maps are inconsistent.
And thanks for the campsite advice. We stayed a night last year at Warakurna and it was fine. This year's itinerary is to stay at Docker River but after your comment I may change it to Warakurna again.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 733994

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:28
Al, yes, Warakurna is a better option than Docker.
FollowupID: 734014

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 15:55
We are browbeaten into submission by bureaucratic nightmarish bungling and ideas for policy that spring from the minds of fairies. The ordinary aboriginal person could not give two hoots about who you are and what you are doing on a road as long as you can help him/her!

No this No that You can't go here You can't go there.

Basically we are talking here about transit permits over government funded roads paid for by ALL taxpayers of this country

I for one will never apply for a transit permit again. They will have to put a locked gate across the road to keep me out.........and then I still have a Master Key :-)
FollowupID: 734098

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 16:11
Does your "Master Key" have a pair of long handles? LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 734101

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 21:01
LOL
FollowupID: 734129

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 21:33
SIF, my taxes have paid for a multitude of places in this country that I can NOT visit. that's life! Can I visit your house when I want?
Luckily, most people don't have an attitude like yours.
FollowupID: 734135

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 06:56

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 06:56
This is my first time talking to a Roadhouse

There is a distinction between a Public Road and My House.

My house is open to friends invited or just casual visitors.

Right of way across this earth should not be conditional to silly policies.

It boils down to being a Tribal Thing

Either we integrate the Aboriginal Community fully into our Tribal Culturte or we leave and go back to where we all originated from and deal with our own tribal follies there.

My attitude is a diversification of life. My attitude has to be different. To question why it is so and not to bow down and say "Yes Sir"

No more discussion

Cheers

Spero

FollowupID: 734145

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:11

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:11
aah yes SIF, there's a whole new can of worms.. " integrate" the community .. meaning to change people to be more like you? ;-)
Probably starting to be a topic I best stay out of..LOL

But, feel free to drop in for a cuppa one day when you next obtain a permit to travel through. I'll happily say G'day

Al
FollowupID: 734159

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:01

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:01
"No more discussion

Cheers

Spero"

The only useful thing you have said Spero. Your replies here were not what John as opening poster asked for - his intention was to solve a problem of the difficulties of the permit system, and he had no intention of having racism introduced into the thread. Yet you come on in racist tones, and openly brag on the internet that you are a law breaker and intend to break these laws.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734161

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 15:49

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 15:49
Yes Motherhen, I am the Bad Guy

But Racism????????

I see you write BIG here on this Forum so I guess that you may be a visionary. That said, I wonder why you may think the way you do?

End of story...again.........
FollowupID: 734181

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 16:10

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 16:10
Hi Spero, and my apologies if racism was not your intention. My impression came from the tone of your thread and "Either we integrate the Aboriginal Community fully into our Tribal Culturte - -".

Meanwhile, we have the permit system and have to work within that. If collectively we can work to improve the situation, well and good. Refusal to obtain a permit will not help that cause. Do you also drive home a little over the limit, confident you are OK to drive, but knowing you are breaking the law?

I took my issue as far as the Minister responsible in the hope of an improvement in the system for future travellers.

I agree that the the majority of people living in the communities are pleased to see us as visitors and have little or no knowledge of the permit system.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734184

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:12

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:12
I believe the solution to an acceptable process is with Motherhen's words........
"If collectively we can work to improve the situation, well and good."

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 734199

Follow Up By: SIF4X4 - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:47

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 17:47
FYI Motherhen....I do not drink alcohol

Give it a rest, will ya
FollowupID: 734206

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 21:30

Thursday, Jul 21, 2011 at 21:30
"Can I visit your house when I want? "

yes you can legally

people can enter your property without invitiation for the purposes of legitamate activities

im not aware of too many houses with signs saying no entry at the front gate

people i dont know can and do enter my property often un invited quite legally
FollowupID: 734234

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:42

Sunday, Jul 17, 2011 at 19:42
Good Luck with all that John. Trying to co-ordinate out back travellers that rarely visit the area to protest a permit system that spans several states and territories run by dozens of agencies to gain access to sensitive areas where historically we have a disrespect and total lack of understanding of the local people.
Best you build a bridge and get over the permit system as from my experience it would be far easier to solve world peace than it would be to change the minds of so many beaurecrats ;-)
Cheers Craig....
AnswerID: 460235

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:12

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:12
I fear you're right Craig.

But I still think I might have a go at this idc. Dog with a bone I suppose....

Cheers.
FollowupID: 733940

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 18:57

Monday, Jul 18, 2011 at 18:57
I'll join in

Andrew
"Get mad and carry on"
AnswerID: 460307

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 06:45

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 06:45
It' not just Indigenous Lands.

Last year I attended the gathering at Willuna.
For the trip over on the Anne Beadell, up the CSR then home via the GCR I had to obtain 8 permits. Some online and others by fax and snailmail.
The non indigenious ones included ground zero and the national parks along the Anne Beadell.

No problem obtaining them but you have to plan well in advance and luckily the trip went to plan and we were able to keep to the deadlines.

I have also obtained permits in past years as well but never been asked for one.

This site is a great resource as to what's required as it seems to be an absolute minefield with no consistency.

If you think it's difficult as a private traveller, compliance with all the regulations to run tours across Australia is a much tougher ballgame. ;)
AnswerID: 460328

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:52
Wow. Over 2000 views.

There's obviously a lot of interest in this dog's breakfast.

And, now a lot of info by contributors.

As ever, this Forum is gold.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 460341

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 14:26
No doubt functionality of getting permits issued doesn’t work too well for the average four-wheel drive traveller wanting to traverse lands that require a permit. And I’m all for some sort of action to change this.

However, before jumping to action the question needs to be asked why do we have them in the first place; I’m asking rhetorically as I know it has been asked many times! Often it is cited that no-one checks permits even when coming across aboriginal groups and people, and I suspect this is due to the fact that mostly they don’t care that you are travelling that area...

I fear the reason we have a permit system is less to do with the wishes of the greater percentage of aboriginal communities, and more to do with government policy under the guile of our bureaucrats, mostly Canberra based. Having a permit system gives the government the ability to stop anyone they like visiting indigenous communities, reporters for instance, people who may actually speak out on what ‘really happens’ in these communities and cause embarrassment to the government of the day, regardless of who is in power. The unintended consequence of this is that groups like those represented here on Exploroz are affected. For the most part I think you will find four-wheel drive travellers are granted access they request, provided it is not a sensitive area of great cultural significance, or there are no ceremonies taking place at the time.

It could be argued that by having a permit system the greater aboriginal population in these areas are actually being discriminated against by not being allowed access to outsiders and I know many might find that comment a little perverse, but think about it and please read and keep the comment in the context they offered (before beating me up!). This has been raised by many in aboriginal communities.

My point is that the very people that you are going to potentially argue and plead your case to, the Federal Government, and the ‘Canberra Bureaucracy’ may very well be the same people who have put in place the permit system to keep control on who goes there for reasons that have nothing to do with a group of four-wheel drivers wanting to get out and see Australia... I think that will be the real challenge here.

For those interested, have a read about Papunya, an aboriginal community in the Western Desert region...Australian journalist Richard Skelton has recently written on the community, a great insight...
AnswerID: 460413

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 14:50

Wednesday, Jul 20, 2011 at 14:50
Landy, I would believe that there is no doubt that the permit system has been put in place, or at least advanced, by government bureaucracy. As you say, pleading a case with that bureaucracy is likely to fall on very deaf ears. Government departments are very motivated to enacting new controls over the public but they are not noted for changing or dismantling those controls.

Whilst having restrictions with attached permits is a damned nuisance, as I said in my response to John Baas, I do respect aboriginal interests and grudgingly accept the existence of permits. However my desire is that the administration of these permit systems be improved so that they may be applied for on a single website (OK, one for each State maybe!) and be issued in a timely fashion. Organising this will create considerable work and therefore keep many bureaucrats in jobs for some time. Surely that may be attractive to them?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 734095

Sponsored Links