Info on the Bore Track and Bollards Lagoon

In the process of planning a trip to Coongie lakes, hopefully open at Easter!! Is the Bore Track open and how do you pay? Also can the Dog Fence Road between Pine View Station and Hawker Gate be used?

Also what is the camp like at The Yellow Bus?

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marc p - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 18:34

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 18:34

Bus site.

You pay at the homestead at the southern end of the bore track.

There is no 'camp' at the bus. Plenty of flat dirt.

AnswerID: 476597

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:43

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:43
Would you camp here?

Image Could Not Be Found
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 751724

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:08

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:08
YUK!!!!

Interesting that people carry paint spray-cans to these areas. Are they some sort of recovery item?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751782

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 19:29

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 19:29
JD

The Bore Track is a really nice run. To pay you go to the homestead which you will see when you turn off the Merty Merty Rd. You may have to knock a few times but be patient they will come.

As you have been advised there is officially no camping at the Yellow bus and it is pretty exposed anyway, I would not camp there.

Better camping is available at the Corner Store, better still at Fort Grey in Sturt National Park just east of the Corner.Fort Grey to Innamincka is an easy short day run.

There is plenty of rain out that way at the moment, I would keep an eye on road conditions area of this site and have a plan B if I was planning your trip.

Duncs

AnswerID: 476602

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 21:23
We didnt see anyone at the homestead, we just placed the cash in the box provided and took a leaflet. The leaflet doesnt really help when you travel north to south. The should have them in a receptical on the northern end also!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 751735

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:33

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:33
There was a post here a few months ago stating that the Bore Track was closed until further notice because of a dispute over roadworks on the northern end of the track.. Do a search to check if this situation has changed!! We drove the Bore Track after we left the EO Innamincka National gathering a few years ago, we really enjoyed the drive and we would love to do it again some time. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 476611

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 09:34

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 09:34
I saw that one also. And we were told not to go that way as it was closed last year.

We were up there recently and used the Cameron Corner, Old Strezleckie Track, Moomba road and then Della Road to Innamincka.

Just be aware that any road up there if closed and owned by the oil companies is liable to a fine of up to $1000 per kilometre if you go on it. There are plenty of signs. My son works up there and warned me that they are getting little peeved at the general public using the roads and if caught . . .
I would not, and did not, use the part of the Old Stezleckie Track between the Moomba Road and Innamincka. That's the 45K section through Della WH.

Someone recently had a blog about travelling the track from Hawker Gate to Boolka Gate. It may be open to the public. Have a look at the blogs. Normally the dog fence service roads/tracks are strictly "Out of Bounds".

Phil
FollowupID: 751766

Reply By: Member - peter f (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:42

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 20:42
howdy ,
my understanding is the track along the fence is not open to public ,
only the boundry riders ,( the fence repairers ) for safety reasons , there
are signs stating $ 1000 fine if caught .
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 476613

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 21:47

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 21:47
Hi JD,

Regretably, Coongie Lakes are unlikely to be open during 2012.

Also, the Bore Track is closed indefinitely.

You can find confirmation of this on this this extract of 31 Jan 2012 bulletin:

"National Parks and Wildlife South Australia
SA Arid Lands Region

DESERT PARKS BULLETIN
NO. 411

31st January 2012

INNAMINCKA REGIONAL RESERVE

General Vehicle Access.

Coongie Lakes National Park may be inaccessible for 2012 due to floodwaters.

Note: Be aware that entry to Innamincka Regional Reserve requires a day/camping permit or a Desert Parks Pass
that must be displayed on the vehicle windscreen. Desert Parks passes/permits are available from the
Innamincka Trading Post.

Coongie Track – Closed due to floodwaters.

Walkers Crossing Track – Closed due to floodwaters.

15 Mile Track and Access to Cooper Creek – Policemans open to 4WD. Ski Beach, Kings, Minkie and Wills closed
due to rain. . 15 Mile closed beyond Wills turn off. Town Common and Queerbiddie is open.

Cullyamurra Track and Burke’s Grave – Open to 4WD. Burke’s Grave - day visitors only.

Bore Track – Closed. Contact Bollards Lagoon (61 8 8091 3873) prior to crossing private land.

Incidentally, despite advice given, if and when the Bore Track reopens, do not go knocking on the homestead door at Bollard's Lagoon station. An information board and honesty box are outside the homestead. These people have enough to do without attending to tourists. The proceeds of the honesty box go to the Royal Flying Doctor.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 476621

Reply By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 22:38

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 22:38
Re: Dullingari to Innamincka section. Latish last year we had a moment of doubt as we came to the start of the track where the oil field track turns west. Looked like nobody had used it in quite a while so I wasn't even sure we were in the right spot!. I decided not to chance it and went the Strzelecki route instead. I asked about the Bore track at the Trading Post and they said it's been closed by lakes up the northern end (of this section) for weeks but no signs had been put out and nothing on any web site. Would've been handy if we had gotten nearly all the way to Innamincka and had to turn back!
AnswerID: 476627

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 10:29

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 10:29
Here is the blog I referred to above.

Phil

Worth a read.
AnswerID: 476651

Reply By: eighty matey - Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:13

Thursday, Feb 02, 2012 at 20:13
Hi TL,

you can drrive the road from Pine View Staion to Hawker gate, weather permitting.

There is a track right beside the fence that is only for the maintenance crews but the public road runs parallel to it for quite a while.

A lot of it is remote country and the rain does affect it pretty quick. Check the road conditions on this website and check that blog from Navigator 1.

Hoo roo,
eighty matey.
AnswerID: 476690

Sponsored Links