Roof Rack Canvas Bags

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 23:57
ThreadID: 91689 Views:4963 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Fellow Members of ExplorOz

We have read postings from a couple of years ago, but was hoping we could get some more updated information.....
We are departing on a 18 month trip around Oz at the end of the month, and after much consideration, we have decided we really need to put some camping gear, in particular sleeping gear, on top of our GU Patrol, in the roof rack. We really want to make sure it will stay dry and dust resistant. Can anyone give us some information and recommendation. We have read previous travellers, whom have put their items in plastic bags to protect them, but we would prefer not to do this and pay extra to ensure everything is kepty dry and clean in the canvas bag.

Thanks in advance
Melissa, Rohan & Lleyton
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:17

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:17
Hi Folks,

I use a canvas bag in our roof basket to carry a myriad of camping gear.
I put the swags, chairs, cooking equipment, etc. in the bag. Whatever fits.

Never had a leak and never had the contents affected by the bulldust that usually works itself into everywhere.

The size of the bag should match the size of the basket.
The one I have is shown in the link below.

Canvas Roof Rack Bag

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477074

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:28

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:28
Interesting Bill. We could also do with a couple of smaller bags as the roof top tent takes most of the room. I may drop them a line.

Phil
FollowupID: 752285

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:30

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 14:30
Interesting Bill. We could also do with a couple of smaller bags as the roof top tent takes most of the room. I may drop them a line.

Phil
FollowupID: 752286

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:47

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:47
Hi Melissa, Rohan, Lleyton

A good place to purchase canvas products is infront camping. Links as follows:

Infront Website

Ebay link

No affiliation etc - just a happy customer.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 477076

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:56

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:56
Another vote for Klaus at Infront Camping gear. Top quality, heavy canvas and willing to do custom jobs. Just another satisfied customer.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752257

Reply By: Member - Carl- Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:50

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:50
Image Could Not Be FoundHi Guys,

Bill has a good idea but I would make it out of Protex Taraulin GP. This is PVC and heavier than canvas, The reason being it is better for the weather, bugs and will not flap in the wind as you travel along. You can get it at Upholstery Distributors and they will have a counter sales office in Adelaide.

Had a look at the web site Bill suggested and their prices are a more than a bit keen as well. The cost of material to make a 900 x 1200 bag is about $45 and this is being generous as well. So $210 profit is a bit much.

I could make you one but I am in Queensland ( beauitful one day ............etc) and freight would a too much.
AnswerID: 477077

Reply By: GrumpyOldFart - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:51
Hi all
we have an MSA roof rack bag and could not be happier.
It has a heavy rubber sheet base - stops thing rubbing through on corrugations
heavy canvas sides and top with zipper to 3 sides with velcro seal - dust and water proof, we've tested it
There is a waterproof nylon fly over the top for even more protection - one of our downpours didn't penetrate
Webbing straps to tighten over the load - holds everything firmly

have a look here http://www.msa4x4.com/Products/TourerPacks.asp

We have their seat back organiser as well, great idea for small bits and pieces.

Enjoy your trip

Dru

Remember
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477083

Follow Up By: happy go lucky - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:20

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:20
Another vote for the MSA bag, travelled Gove Peninsula, Birdsville track, Simpson desert 2011, no dust or rain at all on inside of bag.
Just a happy customer.
June
FollowupID: 752262

Follow Up By: happy go lucky - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:22

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:22
Should have added rubber base is great idea as nothing rubs. Also the one we have came with a canvas fly.
June
FollowupID: 752264

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:30

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:30
Some good advice being given here.
We use a custom made canvas bag on the Troopy, about 120 x 60 cm. Found it was rubbing through on the base so placed a rubber mat under it.

Some water could enter through the zip so used Multix 80 x 60 resealable storage bags inside. Obtained from supermarket. They are really useful for extra clothes and bedding.

However, on last trip the bag was ripped open and torn off the roof-rack by a low tree branch! But it is a high Troopy and it was low scrub.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 477085

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:41

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:41
Hi M,R,&L

Not sure where you are located, but possibly get one made to suit your purposes. We are in Sydney and had one made by All-Camping Supplies at Thornleigh (not sure he makes them anymore).

It is heavy duty and never given us problems. I've found some of the more commercial offerings to be wanting...

When using it we place all sleeping gear in 'dry sacks' along with anything else we need top ensure is dry, and/or dust proofed. We then simply put the bags in the roof-top bag. The advantage of this is you can pack your gear up in the tent, and even if it is raining it will rermain dry when your transfer to vehicle.

Good luck with it...
AnswerID: 477086

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:09

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 11:09
Can't remember the brand of mine but came from one of the leading 4wd accessory stores here in Perth. I fitted a plywood bottom inside the bag so that the contents had a flatter bottom to sit in. Also gave the bag a thorough wetting as per a tent to seal to canvas and then soaked it in waterproofing compound.

Bag fared well in our travels however we hit really heavy rain on the last day as we hit Northam and some water got into the bag at one of the seams.

Never had any problems with dust at all.

On a trip we did last year one of our group had his sleeping bag in a rooftop bag and it got drenched as the bag leaked like a sieve.

I think stuff that you want to stay dry should first be put in heavy duty garbage bags or similar.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 477097

Reply By: Member - Krakka - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:51
We had one made a couple of years ago and the one thing that I found out later that I wish I found out earlier is to have the bag made with the zipper opening along one long side and the two short sides rather than the two long sides and one short side, if that makes sense.
Easier access from the side of the vehicle and also easier to zip up or open.
AnswerID: 477106

Sponsored Links