Travel advice needed.

Submitted: Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 13:20
ThreadID: 92959 Views:2271 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Still planning our big trip.... Once we leave Melbourne via Ballarat and Bendigo we want to eventually make our way to the New England Highway on our way home to QLD. We have 4 weeks to do this trip so all advice and experience will be appreciated.

We love to see and visit all things historical so which towns to visit and what route?? It even comes down to what towns we stay more than 2 days in and what towns are just an overnight stay in ??

As we have a small sleepy dog any caravan parks or free stops along the way that are dog friendly would be appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:34

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:34
If you can meander about a bit after Bendigo, both Echuca and Beechworth are interesting.
AnswerID: 482165

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:49

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:49
Ballarat... Visit Sovereign Hill, Gold museum, Eureka Memorial and Ballarat fine art Gallery (Has Eureka flag). Also have a look at Lake Wendoree. For a good view of the area visit the lookouts on top of Mt Buninyong and Mt Warrenheip. The Buninyong hotel is one of the oldest continuously licensed pubs in Australia.

I would then suggest travelling from Ballarat to Bendigo via Maldon which is a nice historic town with mining relics etc.

Also there is a steam train that travels between Maldon and Castlemaine you might like to look at. Just past Maldon is an old gold dredge which is worth a look.

Daylesford is another popular tourist town to visit with a bit to see and do there.

In Maryborough (the Vic one !) there is a company that does gold detecting tours and you can hire gold detectors from if you want to try that out.

In Bendigo, visit the Central Deborah gold mine. Then catch the tram to the tram museum and Chinese Joss house . Finally the Bendigo Pottery is worth a visit.

On the way back north, if you can time it right visit the Army Armour museum at Puckapunyal. Also worth visiting Echuca to look at some of the Murray river heritage ...

When in Melbourne don;t forget to visit the Point Cook RAAF museum and also the B24 Liberator that is being restored at Werribee. There is also a good aviation museum at Moorabbin .

From a historical point of view there really is a lot to see in the area boarded by Ballarat/Bendigo/Marybrough. Just driving through a lot of the small towns like Kingston is interesting due to the old buildings etc.

If you like collecting old stuff, there are plenty of 2nd hand shops in most towns and also the Mill Markets in Daylesford and just outside Ballarat on the Melbourne road.

AnswerID: 482166

Follow Up By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:55

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 14:55
One other thing I do when travelling with time is to use my Sat-Nav to plan the trip, but configure it to avoid the main roads and highways. That way you get to explore the much more interestring backroads when travelling..
FollowupID: 757433

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 15:06

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 15:06
Hi Peter and Robyn

Armidale is worth stopping at. They run a free coach tour from the Visitor Centre which gives you an overview of the history and places to see. This is a good start to follow up with your own visits of places that appeal. We spent several days in Armidale and exploring the nearby features of the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park, while based at the Dumaresq Dam free campground a little out of town - oops, just checked - no dogs.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 482168

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:01

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 18:01
Hi Peter and Robyn,

Lake Boga in Victoria has a museum to the Catalina flying boats

Check out Christies Museum in Tocumwal NSW, if it is still going. An inquiry at the tourist info centre will help there. This is at the bottom of the Newell Highway which is a good way for you to go.

There are many things to see and do along the Newell especially Dubbo.
Gilgandra has a god museum right at the tourist info centre I believe.

From Gilgandra work your way over to Tamworth and then you are on the New England Highway. Plenty to see and do all along the way.

I can recommend Mother Hens advice re Armidale and the free bus tour culminating in a cuppa back at the now disused railway station. (Gold coin donation for the cuppa)

Check out Dalveen just north of Stanthorpe in QLD. They would have the cleanest overnight rest stop in Australia. They have a clothing factory of sorts there also which is worth a look for cheap clobber if that takes your fancy.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482181

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 19:03

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 19:03
Hi Bruce

I was not aware of the clothing factory i Dalveen. It started to rain when we arrived, so we abandoned plans to explore the tiny town.

Image Could Not Be Found

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 757447

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:27

Monday, Apr 02, 2012 at 21:27
Hi Motherhen,

it has certainly been a year for rain.

There is a sign on the outside wall of the rest area loo in Dalveen which is a message from the townspeople advising that there is more to the town than a very clean facility for visitors. Had it not been for that sign we would not have known about the clothing factory which is just up the road from the rest area.

I finished up buying about 3 polo necked Tee shirts at a reasonable price.
They are good quality too.

I have promised myself to get back there soon, out of appreciation for their efforts, as the toilet was just about the cleanest we have ever seen in a rest area.
It is cleaned by a chap in the town and they take pride on the handywork, and rightly so too.
It also has a dump point nearby the loo.

It is not a roads department facility apparently which probably explains a lot.

I had to compliment the people in the clothing factory on the cleanliness of the loo and asked if they would pass it on to the person who looked after the facility.

I guess you could say that they are an RV friendly town.

The only other facilities I have seen in a similarly clean state are at Apsley Falls campground and picnic area on the Oxley Highway just east of Walcha NSW.
Best flushing toilets in a National Park I have ever seen.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 757459

Follow Up By: Peter & Robyn- Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 06:55

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 06:55
Thank you all for your wonderful advice !!
FollowupID: 757473

Follow Up By: Peter & Robyn- Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:51

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:51
While we are in the region...any suggestions for what town we stop at on the way from Canberra to Melbourne...were thinking Benalla but would love to hear from experienced travellers about this plan
FollowupID: 757477

Follow Up By: aka - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:50

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:50
Go to Rutherglen try some good port still only 3 hours to melbourne and a nice place
FollowupID: 757479

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:25

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:25
Peter and Robyn,

With regard to other places to see between Canberra and Melbourne.

What we do is to call in to the local Tourist information centre and check out the things the local area has to offer. There are so many hidden gems that it is easy to miss them. This all takes time of course so you need to have plenty of time up your sleeve. Bit of a problem if you have to be somewhere by a certain time.

Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 482221

Sponsored Links