Free/Budget Camping Tassie - Good, Bad and Beautiful

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:33
ThreadID: 94976 Views:2901 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All,

In September, October, November and early December I will be walking around Tassie. Starting at Devonport I'll be walking clockwise and visiting extra towns like Shearwater, Greens Beach, Georgetown, Bridport, Marion Bay, Lauderdale, Kettering, Verona Sands, Huonville, Strahan, Zeehan, Waratah, Arthur River, Sisters Beach as well as all the other towns along the way.

I have lived in Tassie and know the terrain and roads but I have not camped there much. I have the latest copy of Camps Australia but I'm after some first hand knowledge and experience of free and budget camping and possible places that are safe to pitch a tent between camping grounds and rest areas, ie, if a local knows of a good patch of grass that isn't "No Camping" I can mark it on my map.

In your opinion which are the best, most beautiful places to camp, that I should try not to miss out on, which ones should I avoid and which are the friendliest?

Cheers
Terra

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 14:37

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 14:37
Hi Terra

We found that they didn't have suitable rest areas like on the mainland, and we needed CAW to finds the campgrounds. The east coast was far better covered for free campgrounds. Out favourites included the Bay of Fires north of St Helens - we chose Cosy Corner North and the Friendly Beaches in the Freycinet NP. Ted's Beach at Lake Pedder was about the best, but they now charge national parks camping fees. Other than that, you can camp at any of the hydro electricity lakes - some may be listed in Camps; most are not; no facilities at all. If at the dam wall or car park, you couldn't pitch a tent, but at many there is plenty of scope.

We didn't like the look of free camping options in the Strahan-Zeehan area, so chose the Zeehan caravan park and stayed for a few days to cover our touring in that area.

We felt very safe in Tasmania and often left the caravan in free campgrounds or even roadside while touring. Tasmanians are friendly people and will talk to you in the street - like it used to be on the mainland years ago - or was in rural areas where i grew up.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483453

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 17:22

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2012 at 17:22
Thanks Motherhen,
Noted :)
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member