Best trek in Flinders Ranger

This summer we'll be in Wilpena Pound and we need a good suggestion about one or two beautiful trekking that it's possible to do there. Hopening about your answer we accept any advice about this.

Bye
Andrea&Manuela
Italy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:10

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:10
Bunyeroo Valley is probably one of the most picturesque areas in the Flinders with two great camp sites, Aktaman and Cambrian.Brachina Gorge is also great. The Flinders hosts the Heysen Trail, a walking track that spans the length of the Flinders and then some.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 483841

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:56

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:56
Yep, Agree with ya Mick on the Bunyeroo Valley.
We visited there September last year, although dry, it was beautiful.

FollowupID: 759127

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:58
I certainly enjoyed that drive, we included the Aroona ruins in it too. The trip can be made into a loop if you include the scenic drive through Arkaba Station & Merna Morna.

To the OP: just drive south on the bitumen from Wilpena to the turn off south of Rawnsley Park, onto the Moralana Scenic Drive (very good dirt road). Drive the 28km along this road (sensational wildlife here) to the Leigh Creek Road (bitumen) & then drive up to the Brachina Gorge turn off into the National Park (very good dirt road until you get to the park, then 4WD only. it's a good road, but you need high clearance). Then drive past the Bunyeroo Gorge turn off & drive up to the Aroona Ruins (picnic area & toilets). drive back to theBunyeroo Gorge turn off & head down that road. This takes you back to the bitumen north of Wilpena.

This trip is very easily completed in 1 day.

There is a 2nd loop that you can do which encompasses Parachilna Gorge, Blinman & the remainder of Brachina Gorge which also well worth doing, but would require a separate day to complete. Once again, well worth the drive & easily completed in a 4WD vehicle
FollowupID: 759128

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:42

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 17:42
A great drive and camp along the PAR starting at Moolooloo Homestead. Camping at the Artimore Ruins down amoung the She Oaks.

Track is only 32k long so can be done in a day, great views and formations along the way.
AnswerID: 483847

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:45
We also drove along the PAR 4 to Artimore Ruins but entered from the south 13 km east of Blinnman. (Just past the turn off to Angorigina Station).
Angorigina Station also have access tracks on their property to the ruins but of course you pay for this priviledge. PARs ie Public Access Roads are free.
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759230

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:23

Sunday, Apr 22, 2012 at 18:23
Hi Andrea and Manuela

Firstly you will get a real surprise when you get there, the Flinders are just stunning. One of the best hikes without question in the Flinders Ranges is the St Mary Hike. If you check out my Trek file that I did for ExplorOz Trek Files, St Mary Walk

Be warned it is a long hike and if you do the full loop, it is around 20 kilometres, but very rewarding. There is great camping in Wilpena Pound and I would start the hike early, and no later than 9am. Make sure that you take extra water, as the only water available, providing the tank is full is at the Old Homestead.

When you read my Trek notes, I have listed all the History of the area, so it will give you a greater understanding of how hard it was living there.

All the best with your visit to Australia and one of South Australia's most stunning areas.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 483851

Reply By: gq89 - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:07

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:07
Wilpena over summer might be a challenge, particularly walks like St Mary's peak
AnswerID: 483887

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:11

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:11
Hi gq89

You will find that they are referring to the European summer, which is our winter.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759158

Follow Up By: ANDREAMANU G - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:31

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:31
Exactly, i didn't remember that August is the winter season in Australia!!
FollowupID: 759239

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:59

Monday, Apr 23, 2012 at 22:59
Don't forget Glass Gorge with the side trip to Nuccalena Mine. You will find this trek on the road between Parachilna and Blinman.

Image Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 483966

Reply By: silkwood - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:22

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:22
I imagine you mean trekking as in "walking"? Lots of great walks around the pound. Probably the best is Edeowie Gorge. You can do this a number of ways, return from within the pound (via Cooinda camp and perhaps St. Marys Peak), head over the range along Aroona Valley and drop into the gorge, then walk out through the pound, or (the best way) get dropped off at Edeowie Homestead and walk up the entire gorge. If you're lucky enough to go when it's running the falls are fantastic (though this probably means a bit of wading).

The last two walks are best done overnight, camping in the gorge. If you decide to do this walk get some advice first, there are two very tricky sections to cross which, if you don't know them, might prevent you from continuing, or at least force you on an arduous, unnecessary scramble out of the gorge.

As mentioned, don't miss St. Mary's Peak, can be done in conjunction with Edeowie if you're fit enough.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 483981

Sponsored Links