Flinders Ranges

Hi all,
I would like to find out places to stay and see in the Flinders & along the way BUT I'll start with our planed trip route:- August 2012 Leave Central Coast NSW travel via Bourke onto Cameron's Corner then Innamincka & Dig Tree & Coongie Lakes then up to see the Corddillo Downs ruins and back up via Haddon Corner ( thought we would see the 2 corners while we are out that way) then to Birdsville for a few days (day trip to Big Red - think Poeppel Corner to far for a day trip) Down the Birdsville track with overnight stop at Mungerannie onto Marree &Lyndhurst up Strezelecki Track to Monticolina Bore and back to the Gammon Ranges and onto the Flinders and home via Mungo
A little long winded I know but all the info we get is much welcomed

Our drive is a NS Pajero with 2" lift, bash plates ,rock sliders, snorkel uhf, epirb & a hand winch with all recovery gear and will be towing a Cub Drover off road Camper trailer
This is only our 2nd adventure into the Outback but have done numerous off road trips & beach work up and down the East Coast
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 20:58

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 20:58
Dont miss Arkaroola and Waraweena as both have great bush camping spots and the best 4wd adventure tracks. Both are private conservation parks and are unique in their areas. Also Willow Springs Station has the much raved about "Sky Trek" another iconic 4wd adventure trail that is a great day out.
We did all these places and more in 2008, since then they have had rain and it is now all much greener I hear.
Enjoy it, it's a great place.
AnswerID: 485474

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:39

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:39
Thanks Coenen N&G for the info
FollowupID: 760823

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:23

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:23
Image Could Not Be Found

alligator gorge south of the finders ranger near Wilmington a very nice spot But no towing c/vans in , great walks if you fit !!!
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485481

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:42

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:42
Thanks nick b great pic will give it a look
FollowupID: 760824

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:54

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:54
Print out the following brochure. It has everything you'll need:
Flinders Ranges and Outback Brochure
AnswerID: 485485

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:48

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:48
Thanks Phil G a great Brochure and will study it meticulously
FollowupID: 760826

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 07:44

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 07:44
Hi Tony Z,
? Flinders Ranges .....
o Hawker – excellent art gallery.
oArkaba Station’s bush camp.
o Moralana Drive
o Excellent 4WD track around Arkapeena’s Scenic Drive which took us along the Chace Range. Would recommend this to anyone.
o Rawnsley Park Station – flight over Wilpena Pound, Brachina Gorge, Parachilna Gorge and all the ranges in the area.
o Wilpena Pound
o Sacred Canyon - Petroglyphs
o Willow Springs Station – ‘Skytrek’ - Mt Caernarvon 1021m is now not accessable. It WAS the best section of this trek
o Blinman. Copper mine self guided tour + inside the shaft
o Historic Angorichina Station - goodbush camp with facilities.
? Artimore Ruins
o Glass Gorge & the Nuccaleana Copper mine ruins - excellent!
o Parachilna Pub (We met actor Brian Brown who was there with the film crew working on ‘Our Kate’. Photo with him outside the pub and behind the bar. A very nice down to earth fellow.
o Chambers Gorge – Petroglyphs. These were the best we have seen.

* Gammon Ranges - do the full loop

Have fun,
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485501

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:50

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:50
Navigator 1 we'll give it a go and see how much we can see, will be there for about a week to 10 days Thanks
FollowupID: 760827

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:54

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 20:54
Rob, just a correction that at Blinman there is a charge for a mine tour now. There was last week anyway.

Parachilna Gorge road is currently being worked on so the road is closed from Angorichina Village to Blinman. Consequently, along the gorge to the West there are some lovely camps and little traffic. Spent some time there this week. I think the road is to re-open again soon though.

Spent some days also at Bendleby Ranges too, though a little expensive for the 4x4 drives. Some of the drives suitable for soft-roaders and we saw a Ford Territory on one track.

Really love the Flinders Ranges
FollowupID: 760913

Reply By: Member - Shaun & Sarah N1 - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 16:53

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 16:53
Hi definately reccommended Blinman in the far north and all it's surrounds also a bit lower near Wilpena Pound Rawnsley Park Station is fantastic CP with new amenties and stunning views. Check out our website for more info and photos. www.norrisaroundaustralia.com
AnswerID: 485557

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 12:44

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 12:44
Shaun & Sarah, l\checked out your site the trip acount is greate w . Saved to favourits so I can re-read your travel.
Keep up the good work
FollowupID: 760946

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:05

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:05
Hullo Tony
"The Flinders Ranges - An Adventurers Guide" by Ron and Viv Moon is an excellent resource for planning and on the road use.
This very experienced couple have travelled a gazillion kms on the tracks around Australia and Ron was born in Quorn.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 485561

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 12:47

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 12:47
Andrew & Jen, was out at the shops today could not find this book there. Anyway will buy it in the ExploreOz shop. Have been reading all I can find in mags and on the web
Again thanks
FollowupID: 760947

Sponsored Links