Toilet dump points in Corner Country or Innamincka area

Hi,

We are intending travelling and staying in the region north of Broken Hill, including Mutawintji Ntional Park, Sturt National Park and Cameron Corner..then through into Queensland north to the region around Innamincka. Hoping to be in the area for a couple of weeks.

Just wondering whether anyone has come across a roadside rest area with an ezi dump or similar point out there.

Last year we came across some in Queensland which were not mentioned in the Camps Australia Wide or other books and made a note of them but the roads we are travelling on will be largely new ones this year.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:44

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:44
Heather

All of the National Parks camps have loos so no need to use yours. Otherwise just use the long handled shovel and a cigarette lightship to burn the paper.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487050

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:09

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:09
Heather,Google "dump points" you will find the latest list put out by CMCA for each state.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487052

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 00:03

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 00:03
Hi Heather

Check here: Dump Points

Otherwise, there must be a lot of space for a desert burial out there. Of course follow the ethics

"If burying the waste, ensure you dig deep, are at least 100 metres away from any water course, a kilometre away from any habitation (town or rural buildings), and well away from the road, preferably not near a rest area. You are not permitted to empty within a National Park, Conservation or Nature Reserve. Stop where you can safely pull off the road, but where others are unlikely to stop, ie not near a rest area and walk some way from the road, but not of course onto private property."

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487061

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 00:54

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 00:54
Hullo Heather,

Digging a hole and burying the contents of the canister should not be viewed as any different to what we all did when camping in tents.

After all, the only difference is that a toilet canister is now part of the journey from A to B, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487063

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:15

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:15
Thank you all for your replies.

We usually use a shovel and go bush (if there is any...sometimes there isn't aa blade of grass to hide behind!) and will use facilities when provided of course.

I guess we will also did a hole and bury the cassette contents if necessary as you say MH there is a lot of space out there to do it. We have done it a couple of times in the past..just thought we would use dump points if they were available.

Interestingly when I googled dump points again this morning (I did search before posting the thread) one of the sites which came up this morning was

this...http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/find.aspx?type=caravan

and it looks very useful so I have added it to my favourites. It has the ones on the Diamantina/Birdsville Devt roads listed that we used last year.
Some states..Queensland in particular..seem to cater better to travellers than others.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487066

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:16

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 17:16
As an aside, keep a weather eye out on road conditions too, via this site and its links.

The road N out of Innamincka has been closed for a while at the causeway due to the height of the Cooper Ck and it may stay that way for some time.
FollowupID: 762350

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:22

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:22
Thanks Sigmund,

We were kind of thinking we might take the more Easterly road north through Qld, rather than the Cordillo Downs one depending on the condition of it...or maybe go east to Noccundra if necessary on the Adventure way.
Our plans ar very fluid for after we reach Innamincka...or even whether we reach Innamincka!
We are obviously not going to wreck our van and car on roads just to say we have reached a place!

Will check closer to the time we leave, also each place we get to for road and weather updates.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487120

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 09:15

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 09:15
If you are using Supermarket Brand Nappy Soaker in your toilet the contents are environmentally safe and can be safely buried in an appropriate place or poured into a pit toilet. At Innaminka locals directed us to the rubbish tip!! If you are using environmentally disastrous chemicals like formaldahyde you should not bury the waste - we have also found dump points which are labelled to forbid the emptying of such chemicals in them--Presumably because the dump point enters a small local sewerage or septic type system. Stick to nappy soaker and you will be fine. Lynne
AnswerID: 487150

Sponsored Links