Western end of Gibb River Rd ... Suggestions?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:06
ThreadID: 95985 Views:1661 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We're off to Broome next week and planning on driving around the western end of the Gibb for 8 days. Any suggestions on:

- where to camp - anyone been to Birdwood Downs, Mt Hart, Mornington Wilderness Park?
- current road conditions to enter these properties
- any tips on the Britz 4wd vehicles

Thanks very much,
Thomas & Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:07

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:07
Hi there guys
We camped at Mornington for two nights a couple of years back. Had a grassy site along the edge of the creek, but missed out on a shady tree!
The road in was fine...part of it was being graded at the time so that was a bonus, and as you would appreciate road conditions up there vary all of the time...but we had no problems towing a camper trailer. If your Britz is a 4WD you should have no difficulties at all.
Make sure you take a canoe down Dimond Gorge...it is absloutley awesome...but take care where you stop off for lunch. We hopped out at one place and sank to our knees in the mud...awkward to say the least!!!
Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 487493

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:49

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:49
Hi Thomas and Michelle

While we didn't go to Mornington as it was a long drive from the GRR, we did go to many other wonderful places. As we did not need power, National Parks campgrounds were our preference. Windjana was lovely, and Silent Grove for Bells Falls very pleasant. There are also a number of station stays - we chose to visit Charnley River Station. I have Blogs from 2008 in My Blogs if you are interested.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487535

Sponsored Links