Outback mice

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 19:50
ThreadID: 96138 Views:2128 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody,
just wondering what the rodent population is like at the moment around william creek , mt dare , finke . thanks for your imput cheers Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 20:27

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 20:27
Didn't see any last week, saw plenty of dead ratlike animal in the Simpson but none out of the desert proper.
We weren't camping as such but in the Oka so off the ground etc.
One of the party left a bag out one night and something started building a nest in it but couldn't say what it was and we never saw anything around the fire at night.
AnswerID: 488046

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 06:22

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 06:22
Hi Ron,

No specific information on that particular area however we are travelling outback NSW, currently in Tibooburra, and have seen no mice or rats this year anywhere yet. Been to Balranald, Wentworth,, Mungo N Pk, Broken Hill, Mutawintji N Pk and now in Sturt N Pk. Heading into Qld through Warri Gate from here.

Last year it was so different with hundreds of mice everywhere we travelled...out west NSW, SA including Oodnadatta Track, and Central Aust, Qld around Boulia, Windorah... so can only conclude that there is no plague this year.

I doubt whether you will see any.

Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488061

Reply By: BUSH CAMPER - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:00

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 14:00
We did the Oonadatta track, then Dalhousie Springs to Mt Dare, then the old Guahn railaway, to Chambers pillars and to Alice with our van and never saw a mouse or rat for the whole trip. This was only about 3 weeks ago.
Have a great trip, as we liked it.
Hugh
AnswerID: 488078

Follow Up By: TTD1 - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:46

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:46
Bush Camper,
We are heading up that track this week with our Ultimate and are meeting two others with Trakmaster vans at Maree.
What type of van did you get through with and what was the road like.
We hope to be on that stretch in about a week.
Thanks in anticipation
TTD1
FollowupID: 763299

Follow Up By: BUSH CAMPER - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:46

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 17:46
WE HAVE A 17' off road caravan with control rider suspension, shower toilet seperate. ( Brand name "ELITE" )
We dropped our tyre pressure to 30 PSI all round, patrol ( 4.2 TD6 ) and van.
The only trouble we had was the plastic tap under the van ,on the front water tank ( shower/ toilet ) was hit by a stone and broke off. Lost water in tank, but the rear tank for drinking was OK.
We drove between 40 - 65 km / h.
Some nice spots to camp, just take your time. Your Ultimate will do it easily as well as the trackmasters.
The tracks change so much especially on the way to Dalhousie springs. You will see where the track has been cut up in the wet weather, some 3 months ago.
As you get near Mt Dare there are sandy creeks to follow, but we made it with the vans, so you will be OK.
We did get a couple of comments about bringing vans into Dalhousie. We saw mainly off road campers.
We even took the van into Chambers pillar, that was interesting!
Our friend had a Lotus "Hummer" and his fridge fell out of it's cavity and the fridge door fell off and broke. I believe that he was driving to slow as we had to stop and wait for him on many occasions.
Hope this helps!
Hugh
FollowupID: 763303

Follow Up By: TTD1 - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 18:00

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 18:00
Thanks for the quick reply Hugh, we will giv it a go and if the going gets too rough for the others we can turn left at Fink and head for the highway.
Regards,TTD1
FollowupID: 763304

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 15:36

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 15:36
Ron,

The rats have gone from the Diamantina Lakes area now, and after causing havoc for about 2 years, would suggest their cycle is over. When I was still driving, they were very common round the Avon Downs/Sedan area, but they'd also started to wane just prior to Easter.

When we were down around Marree last June, we didn't find the mice too bad. There was plenty of them, but we locked all our tucker up, didn't leave any scraps about and they did negligible damage. They did spend some time "skiing" down the side of our tent, but found other pursuits once we got into the tent. We even fed them a slice of bread, while we were having supper, and that caused some laughs.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488086

Follow Up By: lostinwauchope - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:45

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:45
Thankyou ALL,
for taking the time to reply cheers Ron
FollowupID: 763313

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:13

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:13
Hi

Very small rodents should be the least of your worries...and if they are your only worry, your're laughing. Have a good trip.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488136

Sponsored Links