Road to Innamincka

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 09:44
ThreadID: 96145 Views:2081 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I know there has been some water around. Friday I leave for Birdsville and north of. Will be travelling up from Silverton along the tracks near the dog fence, fuel at Tibooburra, out through Camerons corner to the Strzelecki track past the Moomba gas fields and in to Innamincka. Then out via Napp Merrie and on. Does anyone see any problems with this route. Travelling in a full 4WD and good camper.

Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:49

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 21:49
Hi whisky,
I cannot help with current track conditions but if you are not familiar with the country side out there this may make interesting reading.
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488129

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:13

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:13
G'day Jim,

that'll be a good run.
We did the run from Silverton to Camerons Corner through Hawker Gate 18 months ago. There was a lot of water then, especially at Moorabie, but last I saw the road was regraded and good right through. We passed abot two cars in 24 hours between Siverton and the Camerons Corner Road.

The only problem I've heard out that way was the causeway at Innamincka was too high to cross but going out north through Nappa Merrie is alright.

There were two road trains bogged between Birdsville and Boulia last week, or the week before.

If you have any concerns it can be an idea to ring the local Police or road house/servo for info.

It's good country in good condition at the moment.
It might get cold, so take warm stuff.

Have a great trip,
Steve
AnswerID: 488132

Reply By: Shaz n Steve - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:05

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:05
Jim
I am doing the same so I hope not will be in Tibooburra thursday or friday are you travelling alone?
Steve
AnswerID: 488188

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:02

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:02
Yes, not sure on timing, travelling up from Albury/Wodonga region. May be underway by Thursday or Friday and will take it as it goes.
FollowupID: 763467

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 17:00

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 17:00
Hi Jim,
Also heading up to do very similar trip from Albury/Wodonga late August. it would be great to hear any feed back on your return.
FollowupID: 763506

Follow Up By: whisky_mac - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:52
Back in Broken Hill. Broke the hitch going through a washout just past Kantappa. Did not even realise it was a creek crossing till I was in it but very sharp going out of it. Too fast, about 70km and everything bounced and broke the it at the post. Two hours to get it back on the hitch and used a chain to stop it lifting back of. The camper makes a good plough when being connected only by the chains. Good think that I went in with a 11 eggs and came out with them all intact. Have ordered a new hitch and will be here Wednesday or Thursday. Then onward and upward.
FollowupID: 763768

Reply By: Zebra400 - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 13:53

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 13:53
Its always good to get a link into the SA Govt's Outback Roads website http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads

The road from Innaminka to the border (Cordillo Road) is currently closed. It has been closed for nearly 2 weeks now.

The website is a great place to see where you can go.

Laurie

AnswerID: 488619

Reply By: Gado - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 14:33

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 14:33
We are just back from Birdsville and did the section to Tibooburra via Arrabury, Innamincka, Moomba and Cameron Corner last week. No problems at all, only a few muddy patches in the dips. We didn't do the Boulia section, it was closed.

We even saw an old Camry with a huge load on his roof rack who made it through from Windorah to Birdsville (but didn't enjoy the deep wheelruts).

As others have said, the Cordillo Downs road is closed and the northern section to SA/Qld border will probably be for some time, but the Arrabury option is an excellent road. The Innamincka crossing is still closed.

If you have the time, there are a couple of scenic drives in the Sturt National Park which are excellent alternatives going betwen Tibooburra and Cameron Corner, and recently graded.

And yes, it will be cold overnight.

Cheers, Gado
AnswerID: 488623

Sponsored Links