Internet Modem, Next G or 4G

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:00
ThreadID: 96162 Views:2227 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a sierra wireless air card 800U working on Next G network, it has been working fine but now is slowing down bit, Telstra wants to sell me a new modem that works on 4G for $299. Or, need to go on a 2 year plan and get the modem free, they say 4G is faster and wider coverage than next G.
Is anyone using Telstra 4G modem?
And do you need to buy it from Telstra? Or anyone else sells it.......
Thanks in advance...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:25

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:25
The new generation stuff works on 4G if its available otherwise it defaults to 3G (Next G)
4G only available in selected capital cities at present, take a look at the Telstra/Bigpond coverage maps.

4G is brilliant when you have access, I have the new Mobile WiFi 4G device.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488137

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:26

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 01:26
Joe, check the Telstra coverage map and you'll see that 4G coverage is limited to the main areas of the CBD's of the major cities, and it will be a fair while before 4G becomes widely available across Australia. I'm fairly sure Telstra is the only crowd that has 4G available at present.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 488138

Reply By: Holden4th - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 09:41

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 09:41
Personally I'd wait for a bit. As previous posters have suggested, 4G only operates in a limited area and the modem will revert to Next G or less where this is not available so what's the point of buying it if you don't live in one of those areas. Let's face it, the modem price will come down later.

Now you did say that you have Next G so this will probably not apply to you but have read just in case the sierra card is affected.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/network-information/earlier3g/
AnswerID: 488150

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 09:46

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 09:46
We have it here in Tamworth and work colleague who has it said it is even quicker than the land line/server set up our company provides for internet service etc!

Depends how heavily you want to use the web, I personally wouldn't pay much extra over 3G for e mail checking, using skype/VOIP and researching where I was travelling to next. I'm happy with my 3G card
AnswerID: 488151

Reply By: Member - Joe T (NT) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:34

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:34
Thanks to you all for your recommendations

The air card 800u has served me well so will keep it, maybe time to get a new laptop.
It is good to hear from people that use the products, as the providers main interest is to sell you new things that are not necessarily better.
Cheers
Joe

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488156

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:20

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:20
I used to use usb cards. However, I now just 'tether' my NextG phone to my laptop or Galaxy tab, either using a usb cable or Bluetooth...which is my preference. Most plans come with a gig or so with them a month...on the road I'd be hard pushed to get close to that. And yes you can use the mobile at the same time.
AnswerID: 488173

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:44

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:44
I bought the new 320U 4G card, am currently using it and I live north of Broome.
You do not have to get it on a contract like they tell you, I bought mine on ebay, with a Hellstra warranty from a Hellstra dealer and using a prepaid Hellstra sim with an external aerial as I live a fair way out of town and am not able to get ADSL .
I did have one of the other Hellstra prepaid modems but this one is faster even here and its amazingly quick in the cities I have used it, Perth and Sydney.
I have kept my 3G dongle for the towns where 4G is not in use as yet.
They can stick their contracts as far as I am concerned. Robbers.
AnswerID: 488175

Sponsored Links