CapeYork

We are planning a trip up to the Cape in early July. We will be at Helenvale on July 3rd, from there we travel to Weipa, Mapoon, Stones Crossing, Moreton Telegraph Station, Twin Falls, Vrilya Point, Crystal Creek, Mutee Head, Punsand Bay, Seisia,Thursday Island by 18th July, and back home via Bramwell Junction, Lockhart River, Coen to Lakeland. We are getting mixed reports as to how wet it is at. Anyone give me an update on the river crossings and roads that has just travelled up there please? I am also told that it will be like Pitt Street? True? Thankyou in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51
The crossings will be low, except nolans brook which is always a trap waiting for the unsuspecting confident traveller, and very busy traffic that time of year.
Not as bad as Kimberley, but busy all the same.
AnswerID: 488437

Follow Up By: Been-Everywhereman - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:51
Let me say low-ish
FollowupID: 763614

Reply By: Nettie - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:01

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:01
Thanks. Pity everywhere is so busy but guess we are one of those that make it busy!! I read that the pristine Cape York is pristine no more. Oh why do people have to leave their rubbish and toilet paper behind. Anyway we are looking forward to our trip.
AnswerID: 488439

Reply By: Hunter Gatherer - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:58

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:58
We are leaving Sydney on the 22nd June and heading up there for 4 weeks, because the camp sites I imagine will be at bursting point we will camp near the side of road as we will have our camper trailer and generator and all the equipment to be self sufficient. Might see you on our travels.
AnswerID: 488440

Follow Up By: Nettie - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:31

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:31
Unfortunately we have a group of eight vehicles!! We will probably split up in places as although we all get along and have travelled together before I personally prefer small groups! Hoping, as you are, to bush camp wherever we can but we have made a few forward bookings due to the number in our group. I have just had my head in the Trayon sorting out what we need this time. Safe travels.
FollowupID: 763618

Follow Up By: Been-Everywhereman - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 14:29

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 14:29
We are also a group of 8 vehicles going to the cape this year. (7th time).
There a quite a few places up there you can park the wagons in a ring and fit eight cars.
In the first few times we struggled but now it is pretty easy, even in peak times.
Dont start looking for campspots after 2pm,, theres a good hint.

Regards BEWM.
FollowupID: 763622

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 19:05
G`day Nettie,

If it`s Qld school holidays the roads will be a bit busier than usual but the bigger concern is the madness of some drivers, they seem to want to get to where they are going yesterday.

I did a 13 week fishing trip to the top last year and went to the places you list that were fishing spots and stayed at each place for several days or more.

The trip into Stones Crossing is rough and slow going, 3-3/4 hours to do about 40 klm. and the last creek which is less than one kilometre from Stones Crossing stopped us so we went to the right just before the creek and on past the Billabong only to find another bad creek crossing, we winched ourselves through this one and camped on the river a few klm further on.

I you Google "Cape York Forum" there is heaps of info there and you can also ask for info.

Enjoy,

Scrubby

AnswerID: 488459

Sponsored Links