What are your top Tassie must see/do things?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 13:05
ThreadID: 96546 Views:2883 Replies:15 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Going to the Apple Isle in Sept.

Looking for those little gems that don't make it into the tourist web-sites/brochures.

Also which is the best Tassie Devil experience?

Is snow normally still around anywhere at that time of year?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 13:21

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 13:21
You'll get snow at Cradle mountain. Really depends how long you have.

West Coast is great; base yourself out of Strahan. Do the Gordon River Cruise (full day so you see Sarah Island etc). Worth doing the water plan flight to Hogarth Falls also. There is also a dune buggy business that goes out to Henty Dunes which is great value for money.

Pt Arthur is good. Recommened the ghost tour there. I thought it might be a bit tacky but it was actually quite informative.Coles Bay is a very nice place but is the locals place for a break also so you would need to book way in advance for a nice place there.

Brewery tours are also worth doing (Cascade and Boags).

AnswerID: 489595

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:17

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:17
If you do drive on the beach here be prepared as a lot of quick type sand & big bunches of sea weed covered in sand until you drive/fall into it. have spent some nervous times here watching the tide come in
FollowupID: 764759

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 13:41

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 13:41
We spent 3 months in Tassie. So much to see. A few favourites are The Wall at Derwent Bridge, the yellow Boat trips at Bruny Island and Port Arthur, Abt Railway at Queenstown/Strahn. Favourite towns Ross and Dover. Scallop pies at Ross Bakery, smoked salmon at 41 deg South. Too many to mention. We liked Trowunna Wildlife Park, Mole Creek for the Tassie Devils, it was the only one we went to.
AnswerID: 489596

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:20

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:20
good point. The train out of Strahan to Queenstown is a must to do.

Need to spend at least 3-4 days in Strahan.
FollowupID: 764760

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 22:47
Go first class on the train from Queenstown to Strahan, plenty of room to move around, and the service is just great, plenty to eat and drink. All in the price.

Do a trip to Woolnorth if they still operate. Wind farms and a great Bar-b-que lunch if you do the full day trip. We booked this trip at the van park at Stanley.

The boat trip on the Arthur river is good to go on.
FollowupID: 764784

Reply By: didiaust - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:21

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:21
We loved Mt Field National Park.
AnswerID: 489607

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:39

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:39
Another vote for Mt Field. Good camping there. Also Arthur River cruise - lots of choice for camping there.
If you like beautiful native gardens go to Inverawe Native Garden at Margate, which is 15 minutes south of Hobart, near Snug, another good place to camp.
FollowupID: 764836

Reply By: Hilux fan - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:25

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 15:25
We were there in April and it snowed on Mt Wellington and the Hartz Range. You can cop it anytime if the weather conditions are right for it.

We saw the Tassie Devils at the Cradle Mountain Sanctuary (Devils@Cradle). You can get to pat one (soft fur) and they also have quolls on display. You can go on a guided night tour at Cradle or just head out with a torch and do one on your own. Stacks of wombats there.

If you're into bushwalking, try the Styx Valley and the Tarkine. Mind-blowing stuff!
AnswerID: 489609

Reply By: Inflataduck - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:08

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:08
as many have said to many to list but here's a few extras
For waterfalls it has to be Montezuma falls on the west coast.
to check how narrow your car is drive thru spray tunnel (west coast)
for a play/show with good laugh & its the longest running play in the world (or say they say) its in strawan down near the wharf its based on a ship the convicts built & stole (wear wet whether gear)
& as many have said The wall is a must see, that guy can carve
have a great time
AnswerID: 489612

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:10

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 16:10
should have been spelt STRAHAN
FollowupID: 764758

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 17:37

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 17:37
Spray Tunnel is now closed to vehicles, pedestrians only.
FollowupID: 764767

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:46

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:46
Have to agree that the play in Strahan - "The Ship that Never Was" is excellent with lots of audience participation. We thoroughly enjoyed it in 1996 and our sons family enjoyed it last year.

We also enjoyed Hastings Caves and a warm swim there.

We wrote some blogs about our Tassie trips - some of the details may have changed by the places are still there. Have a look at http://www.exploroz.com/Members/61493.375/8/2010/1997_Troopy_goes_to_Tasmania__Part_1_.aspx (sorry the link insertion button isn't working ATM)

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 764801

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 18:31

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 18:31
Brickenden homestead and Woolmers eastate at Lonford,just a short drive south of Launceston,if your interested in our colonial hertage well worth the effort.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489623

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:22
Is the Cadbury Chocolate Factory still open. That was a must not miss. Freycinet national park was another. Also go down to the bottom of the state as far as possible. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 489629

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:19

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:19
Cadbury Chocolate factory tour is a pale imitation of what it used to be. Don't bother!
FollowupID: 764854

Reply By: shanegu6 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:43

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 20:43
South Bruny island, jetty beach. Fabulous.
AnswerID: 489630

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:08

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:08
Leven Canyon, Cataract Gorge, Tinnies Pies, Frecinet Peninsula, ..... thinking....
AnswerID: 489636

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:45

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:45
I think you get the picture...it's all good.
We were there in May and just did the east coast from Swansea to St Helens. Sensational beaches, charming small communities. Go for it!
Louise
AnswerID: 489640

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:08

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:08
elephant pass pancakes on the east coast is worth the trip to tassie alone
FollowupID: 764800

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:53

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:53
Our daughter and fiancé worked in Tasmania for a year some time ago. They got to see snow on Cradle Mountain - they went from where they were based when they heard there was snow, and it was deep enough the make snowmen and have snowball fights at the first car park (which is now the airfield). That was in December!

We missed seeing snow although it was cooling down by the time we left on 1st April - it snowed the next day:(

Highlights? So many so for us. The mountains in the centre, the west coast, deep dark forests, top of Mount Wellington, the history of Port Arthur, so many beautiful waterfalls, hydro-electricity systems everywhere, and endless views and vistas. A memorable experience at Devil's Gullet when cloud came rushing in to envelop us with a roaring sound - wanting to run to get away from the impending threat, but staying, transfixed by what was happening.

I have blogs of our highlights here in My Blog from our 2006 trip. Questions welcomed on anything you like the idea of.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489641

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:54

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 23:54
We live in Port Huon in the Huon Valley (down the bottom) and we think this is the best part of Tassie (could be biased though)

This is where the apples used to be grown but there are only a few orchards still operating in the area

Well worth spending a couple of days in this area with lots to see and do and it is a very relaxed place to visit

If you like bushwalking the Hartz Ranges have some great walks ranging from very easy to moderatly difficult

As for snow given the right conditions anything is possible and last year it did snow in September

Regards Don

AnswerID: 489642

Follow Up By: donk - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 00:13

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 00:13
Just to add to my original post

For a great feed i recomend Megs Place which is the cafe at the Ida Bay Railway Station
It is a bit rustic with the odd cobweb hanging around but the food is fantastic,there is lots of it, the prices are reasonable and the staff are very friendly

Regards Don

FollowupID: 764786

Reply By: Pushy - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 08:16

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 08:16
Apart from all the ones mentioned previously and those in the travel brochures here are some of my little gems
Shot tower in Hobart
Jet boat ride on the Derwent near New Norfolk I think
Seal tour just off Stanley
Tassie Tiger talk in Strahan very informative and a surprise at the end
Pieman River ferry
If you are a camper you can arrange with the Rangers at Lake St Clair to camp
right on the shore of the lake no facilities and you have to carry everything in
but magic at sunrise
Abseiling at Gordon River dam

As for Tassie Devils apart from all the tourist places where you can pat them you can see them in the wild all around but specifically at Cradle Mt. Just drive from Launceston to the east coast in the early evening and you will see all the wildlife you ever wanted to see. Ended up driving at no more than 60 ks as I think that hitting a wombat would not be nice.

AnswerID: 489651

Follow Up By: donk - Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:15

Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 20:15
Agree with you on the road kill

We drive from Port Huon to Huonville each weekday morning and there would be six or so fresh road kills each morning on a road that doesn't see a lot of traffic overnight

Regards Don
FollowupID: 764831

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:14

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:14
Had snow on Mt Wellington x,mas day a few years back, but that is unusual.

If you happen to be in the Port Arthur area and it's a good day (and you are fit!),the bushwalk to Shipstern Bluff is a good day out. Don't take a van into the parking area though.
Check the forecast and if the swells are over 4 metres in the South the Big Wave surfers will be about. The Bluff produces some of the nastiest waves in the world.

I've been in on a 'calm' day but no way I'd go in the water. Beautiful scenery from the first lookout about 30 mins walk but 5 hr return if you walk right in with a lot of uphill on the way back. Cape Raoul walk from the same carpark just as good and long but not as good a destination.

Cape Huay from the Fotesque Bay NP campground is another good 4 hr walk with a lot of hills! The famous 'candlestick' is at the cape and occasionally you'll see lunatics climbing it.

Cheap....FREE, days out.

Tassie devil experience is at Taranna just as you head towards Port Arthur. Plenty of parking room.
AnswerID: 489728

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:23

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:23
I forgot to add the Museum of Old and New Art at Claremont...google MONA.

World class ,some 'challenging' exhibits but just opened a collaborative exhibition that includes a genuine Picasso painting. On until Feb next year I think.

This place is now Tassie's biggest tourist attraction drawing more visits than the Port Arthur historic site.
FollowupID: 764855

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:51

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:51
I'll add to the list some of my favourites.

The chair lift up the Nut in Stanley

Taking fresh oysters off the rocks at the ferry jetty on Bruny Island

The magical drive into the highlands and into the hydro areas around Wayatinah (great camping) and Tarraleah

Agree with the comments about the Huon and further south. Take the drive down to Southport (most southern town in Australia) and on the way back try the train trip at Ida Bay.

The area over the Batman bridge including Beaconsfield, Beauty Point, Georgetown, Low Head

Richmond is a must see purely for its historic architecture

My favourite town is Deloraine
AnswerID: 489746

Sponsored Links