Taking Little Kids to uluru

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 21:37
ThreadID: 96672 Views:2881 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
We are planning a family trip to uluru in sept and were wondering if anyone could give us any advise on the camping and which walks we could comfortably take a 1 and 3 year old on? I understand that climbing uluru is out of the question but would it be possible for us to take a pram around the bottom of the rock? Also kings canyon valley walk? Olga's? Any other walks you could suggest for our capability in the west MacDonald ranges?

Another thing that has been worrying us is we are going to palm valley wanted to know do we need a snorkel?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards
Cole
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross G (NT) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:15

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:15
Hi,
There is a pathway around Uluru that would be fine for a stroller. It is about 9klm all the way round but you don't have to go all the way. Kings Canyon Valley would be better if you can carry the children but is has been a while since we did that one so things may have changed.
Ormiston Gorge in the West Macs is no problem. Simpsons Gap and Standley Chasm are a little rougher but if you are careful should be okay. Guess it depends how big the stroller is.
We have not had any sugnificant rain out here for quite some time so Palm Valley access would not require a snorkel. They would probably close it these days if the water was that deep.
Also there are some places in the East Macs worth seeing that would be easy for you. Emily and Jesse gaps are quite close to Alice Springs and Trephina Gorge is walking on the river bed. Is the stroller 4WD:-)
Ross
AnswerID: 490158

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:35

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 08:35
Hi Cole,

I left Palm Valley yesterday and the track in is dry. You certainly won't need a snorkel in it's current condition.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490160

Reply By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:28

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:28
Slightly unrelated to the original question, but have you thought about ditching the stroller and buying a backpack/child carrier at least for the youngest?

Weigh about the same as umbrella stroller and take up about the same room (definitely smaller than a “Mummer Hummer” pusher) and gives you greater access to areas “off the beaten track” and you can carry both their and your necessities in a well designed, comfortable back pack.

I carried my eldest around Europe in one and my youngest on lots of tracks in Australia, the only problem we had was that it was forbidden entry into the Louvre (because I might turn and knock some valuable sculpture over). It suited my kids until they were about 5 and they became too heavy (or I became too unfit).
AnswerID: 490175

Reply By: Boags - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:40

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:40
Hi Cole
Depending on your fitness level carry the 1yr old in one of those child back pack carriers . I have 3 kids all 20 mths apart we took a stroller on one of the trips when the youngest was 1 and after the first couple of walks gave up - the walks were either too rocky/sandy or there were stairs. Just have to make the decision of can the 3yr old walk approx. 1km return trip. If not grab 2 child back carriers it gives you so much more flexability meaning you can see more! Pram is good around town and caravan parks.
AnswerID: 490176

Reply By: babies on board - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:16

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:16
Thankyou everyone for your replies,

Hi Ross G, Yes we have a 4wd pram, that's great that we will be able to get around uluru and some other places. Was hoping to not have to buy a snorkel so we probably won't get one ;)

Hi Graeme w, thanks for the advise on Palm valley, did u stay at the palm valley camp ground? if so what did u think of it as we are looking at staying there as well.

Hi Nargun51and Boags, I have a baby pouch which we have used quite a bit when the kids were little babies, but I wasn't sure how we would go with it in the hotter weather and the weight. Will probably give it a go on the rocker tracks and if it is cooler weather, thx

AnswerID: 490202

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:12

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:12
The Palm Valley campground is very good. It has hot water showers and gas BBQs.

A lot of the NT parks have talks and guided walks given by the ranger. Palm Valley is currently thursday for the fireside talk and Monday for the guided walk. I missed the talk but the walk was very good.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 765867

Reply By: ExplorOz - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 13:10

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 13:10
Thought I'd share a few pics of my girls - the last one they are about 1 & 3 same as yours. The same carrier has been used for both girls as they grew up (eldest now nearly 12)! Time flies so savour these special moments.... your post made me dig up these old pics and I loved searching for them so think I might have to do a tribute blog of the kids adventures sometime...

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Michelle
(I was a much fatter Michelle back then LOL!)
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 490243

Reply By: babies on board - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 15:15

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 15:15
Thanks so much for the photo's michelle, how cute ;) made me laugh. Your carrier is a little different, mine is much smaller. Looks easier then pushing a pram.
AnswerID: 490249

Reply By: Marks2912 - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:50

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:50
Hi Cole,
We went to the places you talked about in early October last year (without kids). Uluru will be a cinch, and if my memory serves me correctly, kings canyon valey walk is at least partially wheelchair accessible, and the rest not too bad.

The Olga's may be bit bore of a challenge, but it really depends on if you are preapred to carry the littl 'uns and how far you can do so.

If you are going to use a carrier, I would encourage you to get some walking stocks do you can be really stable on your feet - bit hard to enjoy the views if you are permanently worried about losing you balance!

Apologies for the typing mistakes - is is being typed on an iPhone, inside a sleeping bag in Canberra...
Safe travels,
Mark.
AnswerID: 490283

Sponsored Links