Route ideas - Mungerannie (Birdsville Tk) to Arkaroola

Submitted: Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:32
ThreadID: 96762 Views:4227 Replies:3 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
In August we will be driving south from Mungerannie on the Birdsville Track and heading for the northern end of the Flinders and Arkaroola Village.

One possible is to continue right down the Birdsville Track, through Marree and on to Leigh Creek then swing east to Mount Searle and do a clockwise loop through Umberatana and into Arkaroola Village.

Another is to continue south on the Birdsville, left at Marree and up the Stezleckie to Calcutta Outstation and then east to Moolawatana and then south to Arkaroola Village. We could also follow the Strezleckie further north to Mt Hopless and then turn south to the Arkaroola Village.

A third option would be to find a way south east from Clayton the to the Strezleckie without going through Marree. The tropo 250 and zone 54 maps show a miriad or tracks that I would guess as station tracks and not to be relied on. A risky drive but is there a way and is it worth it.

The options above have the following new sections for us. The lower end of the Strezleckie and of course anything in the Northern Flinders Ranges north of the Parachilna Gorge.

Single vehicle trip. Toyota 4.2 td 100 series xagon and not towing. All the good stuff - no lockers. Capable drivers and recovery etc courses. Satphone on board. Fuel fill up at Mungerannie.

A long winded question and it comes to this.

Any recommendations Mungerannie to Arkaroola Village?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stevo - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 12:55

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 12:55
Marree, Lyndhurst, Strezlecki Track, Mt Freeling Station, Mt Fitton outstation, Yudnamutana, Arkaroola.

Mt Fitton Outstation to Yudnamutana traverses Mt Freeling Station.

Speak to Scott Hallett, Manager on telephone 8648 4851 for access.
AnswerID: 490470

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:16

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:16
Interesting change to what I said. I also saw that I mentioned Leigh Creek in my initial post. It should have been Lyndhurst. My error.

I will have a serious look at it. I haven't got a map here in the house with a place or locality shown as Yudnamutana. But good old Ozi shows a gorge, water course and mountain with that name. All in the general area south of Mt Fitton. I am off to the doctors and with the aid of Google I will look when I get home.

Thanks mate.
FollowupID: 765812

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:40

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:40
Some years ago we drove into Arkaroola from the west via Yankaninna and Umberatana.
I recall that there was a gate at the Arkaroola boundary, so it would be worth checking that it is not locked before you arive.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 490472

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 15:54

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 15:54
Thanks Peter. Good warning.

I am sure the village staff will know if it is open.
FollowupID: 765818

Reply By: Dr Hook - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:42

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:42
PJR:
We'll be on Mt Freeling Station 13-16 August or so (booked out the Shearers Quarters); Fantastic driving available, worth a coupla days at least) but if you want to take Mt Fritton-Moolawatana on way to Arkaroola you may need a shovel and axe to get through: (Scott sez no-one's been over it of late: ring him- this might have changed recently)

We'll go into Mt Freeling directly off the Strzel, but might cut back across Moolawatana, just for a look

The Mt Freeling Station drive and Talc Mine alone make this worthwhile, if you can then get through Moolawatana Station track (separate permission required)

Otherwise, nothing wrong with the My Hopeless drive (a lot of gibber): take a look at the Blanchewater ruins, St Mary's pool, and Montecollina Bore for a start.
Even go up to Strzelecki Crossing and the bottom of the Old Strzelecki Track: it should still be quite lush in August.

Whilst you can cross from Birdsville Track-Walkers Crossing-Moomba, or why miss Marree & Lyndhurst (Farina, Ochre pits and so on)? (Moomba is a closed town) Clayton - Murnpeowie is good but last time I asked they were discouraging travel on "Mumpy".

Have a great trip!
Hook
AnswerID: 490474

Follow Up By: Stevo - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:55

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 13:55
I drove the Mt Freeling - Moolawatana road in late April, slow going and plenty of deviations around washouts as a result of 150mm of rain in January. There has been no rain since so there shoudln't be any problems.

No permission needed as it is a public road (albiet not maintained).
FollowupID: 765814

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:18

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:18
Thanks Hook and Steve

We do not expect to be down there until around the 19-21 August.

The Mt Freeling to Moolawatana way sounds interesting. I will do some homework on access to the road or track before leaving home.

If we have time we could then exit Arkaroola via Umberatana, down to Parachilna, through the gorge and then south east to Yunta.

There is a public road up on the Cape west of Cooktown from Maytown to Palmervill Station. It is a public road but the local landowner says it is his and he has a habit of putting stakes in the dirt. I was warned of this by a local at the Cooktown Council. So I will be wary if it is under dispute.

We have to be back in Canberra by the 31st August for my treatment. And it is a long way from there to home. Besides we may want to stick around in the Simpson for longer. You know how it is. Three dates are set. Departure, Mount Dare and return.

Thanks
FollowupID: 765823

Follow Up By: Dr Hook - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:34

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:34
PJR
Never heard of "landowners" (leaseholders, in Crown Land) setting traps before (although a few unsubstantiated rumours some years ago about local tyre-sellers scattering tech-screws in the dirt always seemed like misplaced urban myth to me).

I've copped the occasional tech screw in the tyre before but they just fell out of someone's trailer/whoopie due to corrugations. Even got one in my own driveway once, but that was from a handful courtesy of an offensive (ex-Con) neighbour! But that's another story.

The good thing about tech screws is they tend to be self-sealing - to an extent....
Dr Hook

FollowupID: 765828

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:41

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:41
This bloke was well known to the local constabulary.

There are some lovely (tongue-in=cheek) people around!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 765831

Follow Up By: tuck - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:05

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:05
If you are really into off road go Lyndhurst to Mt Freeling . Your options are then Mt Fitton -Yudnamuttna- Arkaroola Will take about 11-12 hrs and rough Just been thru -but- you will need to contact Scott for directions as you will be hrs from anywhere if you take wrong track or have problems .Alternative and quicker go from Homestead direct to Yudnamuttna about 3-4 hrs then another 2 to Arkaroola not as rough. The country is the best you will see it for at least last 20 yrs with springs still running
FollowupID: 765979

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:49

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:49
Hi Tuck

That sounds very interesting. Mainly the scenery that is. Don't mind the slow stuff as we go into the Vic High Country with the club a lot.

However because of my little problem we cannot spare a whole 12 hours so we may try the Homestead option. But I cannot locate Homestead. Have you got a grid reference or anything?

Also is the Yudnamuttna route taking us down through Paralana Hot Springs area?

FollowupID: 765982

Follow Up By: tuck - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:26

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:26
You can go to Paralana Hot springs from Mt Fitton but is different route. It is mainly accessed from Arkaroola. Mt freeling is about 80 ks from Lyndhurst on Strzlelecki then turn right for 30 ks. This area of the Flinders is the most rugged and spectacular of all. Contact Scott 0886484851. at night May have to ring several nights as is away at times
FollowupID: 765999

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:42

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:42
Not sure where Homestead is from your first post Tuck

But I cannot locate Homestead. Have you got a grid reference or anything???

You said "Homestead direct to Yudnamuttna". Blowed if I can find it on any map that I have. Been looking on the Topo250 and the zone54 maps.

Do you have Ozi???
FollowupID: 766000

Follow Up By: Stevo - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:28

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:28
29° 56' 57" S 139° 13' 56" E
FollowupID: 766005

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:49
Thanks Steveo

That's back at Mt freeling. Because he capitaluised the word homestead I thought it was an actual locality or place etc somewhere around Mt Fitton. Aggghhhh.

I gather he is now talking of a route from Mt Freeling to Twins Well then past Jones Spring and Great Gladstone Bore and on past Tindelpina Hut and down to Daly Bore, Blue Mine and swing south east, near The Needles, to Arkaroola Village.

The above names were taken from the Tropo 250 map.

Would that be it?
FollowupID: 766006

Follow Up By: Stevo - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:21
You've got it PJR.

That route is not as scenic as the track from the old Mt Fitton homestead via Valley Bore & Greenhill Hut, but much shorter.

A visit to the Yudnamutana mine site is a must (about 5 km sw of Daly Bore) 30° 10' 36'' S, 139° 16' 45'' E.

The Great Gladstone Mine and the surrounding waterholes (plenty of flowwing water ATM) are well worth a visit also 30° 3' 33'' S , 139° 14' 13'' E
FollowupID: 766013

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:57

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:57
I do not have a map that shows a connection from Mt Fitton to Valley Bore. But if it is there and relatively easy to follow I am happy to go that way. But time is the problem. I have to be back here for hospital treatment that cannot be missed.

So: I wonder!!!

I know that I mentioned a stop at Mungerannie in my original post but we could continue on and camp at Calytons if that would give us enough time to follow the route through Valley Bore the next day.

What do you think my chances are of completing Clayton River (Birdsville Track) to Marree, Lyndhurst, Mt Fitton, Valley Bore, Greenhills to Arkaroola in one day?

It sounds too much to me but I do not know the terrain. The car is capable as we both are. I do not want to rush but then it is a long way back. I also need two nights in Arkaroola that will need booking. The rest of the trip is a direct drive to Canberra with one nights stop somewhere.

What do you reckon Steve?
FollowupID: 766017

Follow Up By: Stevo - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:21
Unfortunately PJR, that would be impossible.

I suggest you take the route that Tuck recommended.
FollowupID: 766022

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:30
Thanks Steve

I am still looking at alternatives for this area. It may be possible to reack Mt Freeling and stay there on night. Stupid me should have looked at the itinerary earlier. I have us stopping in Leigh Creek after the Birdsville Track as well as one night at Mungerannie on the track. If we drove straight down to Lyndhurst or even Mt Freeling then we have more time for the northern area of the Flinders. I need to add up the miles and check how far we can comfortable drive with an early start from Birdsville.

You guys have got me thinking. Haven't given up on it yet.

Much appreciated.
FollowupID: 766024

Follow Up By: tuck - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:12
Sorry have been offline you will need a day to get from Mt Freeling station to Arkaroola via daly Bore Yudnamuttna. Mainly just scenery as you drive- Old Slate mine on the way plus time spent at Yudnamuttna
You wont need to book at Arkaroola. Showers and toilets etc but camp down in the creek best spot
FollowupID: 766030

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:40

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:40
No worries about being off line.

Tuck Did I get the track correctas follows:
Mt Freeling to Twins Well then past Jones Spring and Great Gladstone Bore and on past Tindelpina Hut and down to Daly Bore, Blue Mine and swing south east, near The Needles, to Arkaroola Village.

Close enough for you?

I need to change the camps back to our last night's camp in the Simpson. You two have wet our apetite for the area.

FollowupID: 766033

Follow Up By: tuck - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:49
Youve got it right. Have been in this area heaps of times Pitty you didnt have more time to do the Fitton- Valley Bore route spectacular scenery
We use oziexplorer maping
FollowupID: 766034

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:35

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:35
I am working on the Fitton-Valley Bore route but I do have a map with some of the track on it. My map has a gap in tracks for the area between Fitton and Valley Bore.

I can email you what I think would be the track. To do so I would need your email address. I wont ask you to publicise it rather here is mine and if you wish, send your email address and I will send the Ozi track back. You can then tell me if I am in the correct area.

danni_pj@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 766041

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:53
I hope that I am not a bother Tuck

You will see below that there isn't any track between Mt Fitton and Valley Bore where I believe you were saying to go.

The map is the most detailed one that I have of the area.

FollowupID: 766051

Follow Up By: tuck - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:49
That's correct-not shown on the map Scott will give you directions.However the track is definite for the first section and easy. We passed thru last week
FollowupID: 766058

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:57
Thanks Tuck

Very helpful. I just need to find a couple of days now.

Cheers
FollowupID: 766061

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)